Thread: Issue installing fglrx drivers (13.11) in OpenSuse 13.1

Default Issue installing fglrx drivers (13.11) in OpenSuse 13.1

Hi there, first of all, I am still pretty new to linux, so you might have to take things slow with me.

Relevant machine specs:

AMD A-10 5800K APU (I believe - perhaps incorrectly? - that this APU does not require the fglrx-legacy driver, but instead the most recent version)
    OpenSuse 13.1 - fresh install
    8 GB Corsair ram

I am trying to install the proprietary fglrx drivers in order to play Dota 2 and other steam games. There are some workarounds to not having the Catalyst drivers, but the performance is (very) poor.

So instead, I would like to install the proprietary drivers from here: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx using the 1-click method (did I mention I am new?)

However, while this *does* download something, YaST does not initialize, even when I go to the folder directly and right click the file "amd-ati-fglrx64.ymp" and tell it to open with YaST. (FWIW, Opera thinks that the downloaded file is 0B. It is actually something like 17 kB, but there is clearly something very wrong here).

So instead, I tried following the instructions for building the rpm myself, further down that same page.

This too lead to an error when the following line was reached:

Code:
    Compare SHA1 checksum of the AMD-Installer ...
    So I tried downloading from the OpenSuse package repository here: http://software.opensuse.org/package/udba-ati-fglrxG02

This too did not work.

I then went to the AMD website to try and download the driver myself. I did manage to get a driver, with a .run extension, but I can't seem to get that to actually run! When I open the script with vim, there are non unicode characters in it? Perhaps I am getting the windows version, but I definitely selected the Linux version. If there is a simple program or command line I can use to execute that script, please let me know.

As a last resort (and because I lost patience) I tried using the command line installation procedure from the first linked website, and something went terribly terribly wrong. Now, when OpenSuse boots, it does so in the command line interface mode (I believe this means the fglrx installation blacklisted the open source driver, and then failed to install correctly, so that I now have no working graphics driver).

I think I need to do 3 things:

1) Blacklist the fglrx driver, and whitelist the open source driver in the command line interface mode, followed by a reboot so I can actually use my beautiful KDE desktop environment

2) Actually freakin' download and install (correctly) the proprietary driver!

3) If those somehow both work, maybe I can hope to get the bleeding edge proprietary driver (13.12?)

Can you wonderful people help me with that?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Issue installing fglrx drivers (13.11) in OpenSuse 13.1

On Thu 23 Jan 2014 03:46:02 PM CST, gacann wrote:

3) If those somehow both work, maybe I can hope to get the bleeding edge
    proprietary driver (13.12?)

Can you wonderful people help me with that?
    Hi
    13.12 works for me using the build as an rpm, did you also grab the
    sha1 file as indicated? Also I use su - not su.

If you get an error, please post the full output, if it's long, then
    use http://paste.opensuse.org/ (set to never expire though).

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I would love to try installing fglrx 13.12 without having to first install 13.11. However, I am stuck at the command line prompt version of OpenSuse right now, and I don't know how to get back to KDE. Like I said, I assume that I need to blacklist whatever failed installation of fglrx I have, and whitelist the open source drivers*, but how do I do that? (Or, alternatively, is building the rpm myself possible from the command line version of OpenSuse?)

As for:
    did you also grab the sha1 file as indicated?

If this is covered by:

Download the checksum file:
    Then yes, I did do that. It would appear, however, that that step did not work as intended.

Thank you for the help!

*This is based off the assumption that the installation of fglrx does not delete the open source driver, but instead simply blacklists it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gacann View Post
    I would love to try installing fglrx 13.12 without having to first install 13.11. However, I am stuck at the command line prompt version of OpenSuse right now, and I don't know how to get back to KDE. Like I said, I assume that I need to blacklist whatever failed installation of fglrx I have, and whitelist the open source drivers*, but how do I do that? (Or, alternatively, is building the rpm myself possible from the command line version of OpenSuse?)

As for:

If this is covered by:

Then yes, I did do that. It would appear, however, that that step did not work as intended.

Thank you for the help!

*This is based off the assumption that the installation of fglrx does not delete the open source driver, but instead simply blacklists it.
    Hi
    Sure you can build as long as you have the files downloaded. You need;

makerpm-amd-13.12.sh
    makerpm-amd-13.12.sh.sha1
    amd-13.12-packaging-script.tar.bz2

Do as instructed in the article with permissions etc and run.

Else just check down in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and use fgrep to find the driver and change to radeon.
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

I will try that as soon as I get home.

As a side note, it seems my issue with switching drivers in the command line version of OpenSuse might be able to be solved with the instructions here: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Radeon#Re...ver_if_present, in case anyone else is having these problems.

Hi Malcom,

Well, I made it back to KDE - sort of. Good enough for now.

However, when I attempt to follow the instructions for making my own RPM, I run into the same error as before. Namely, when I input:

Code:
    ./makerpm-amd-13.12.sh -i
    I very quickly (almost imediately) get an error. Full output here: http://paste.opensuse.org/81500239

Do you know why I am getting this error?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I used both the wget command, and your direct links to see if there was a difference. There was not.

Blog Entries

On Fri 24 Jan 2014 04:16:01 AM CST, gacann wrote:

Hi Malcom,

Well, I made it back to KDE - sort of. Good enough for now.

However, when I attempt to follow the instructions for making my own
    RPM, I run into the same error as before. Namely, when I input:

Code:
    --------------------
    ./makerpm-amd-13.12.sh -i
    --------------------

I very quickly (almost imediately) get an error. Full output here:
    http://paste.opensuse.org/81500239

Do you know why I am getting this error?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I used both the wget command, and your direct links to see if there
    was a difference. There was not.

Hi
    That would be a faulty download, delete the
    amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.zip file an re-run the script to
    download again.

--
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop

Quote Originally Posted by gacann View Post
    I then went to the AMD website to try and download the driver myself. I did manage to get a driver, with a .run extension, but I can't seem to get that to actually run! When I open the script with vim, there are non unicode characters in it? Perhaps I am getting the windows version, but I definitely selected the Linux version. If there is a simple program or command line I can use to execute that script, please let me know.
    The *.run file is the right one. But you don't run it as a script (not with sh). In the shell, run
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x /path/to/the/file.run
    to assure it's executable and after that just run it by entering the path. If you are in the same folder as the file, you might have to add ./ before the filename.