Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

  1. #1

    Default /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

    Hey everyone.

    I have a CentOS server sharing out my printer via samba. I can print fine from my Windows work laptop and the server itself, but not from my OpenSuSE 12.3_32 laptop.

    I get this error in CUPS: usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed


    ​Google doesn't return much help. Any idears?

  2. #2

    Default Re: /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

    Quote Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
    Hey everyone.

    I have a CentOS server sharing out my printer via samba. I can print fine from my Windows work laptop and the server itself, but not from my OpenSuSE 12.3_32 laptop.

    I get this error in CUPS: usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed


    ​Google doesn't return much help. Any idears?
    What is the exact error message in /var/log/cups/error_log?
    Code:
    grep /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb /var/log/cups/error_log

  3. #3

    Default Re: /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

    Here ya go:

    Code:
    Dell-Laptop:~ # grep /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb /var/log/cups/error_log
    E [22/Jan/2014:18:15:35 -0600] Brother_7820N_on_server: File "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" has insecure permissions (0104750/uid=0/gid=7).
    E [22/Jan/2014:18:23:08 -0600] Brother_7820N_on_server: File "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" has insecure permissions (0104750/uid=0/gid=7).
    Dell-Laptop:~ #
    It seems that file has bad permissions?

  4. #4

    Default Re: /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

    Quote Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
    Here ya go:

    Code:
    Dell-Laptop:~ # grep /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb /var/log/cups/error_log
    E [22/Jan/2014:18:15:35 -0600] Brother_7820N_on_server: File "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" has insecure permissions (0104750/uid=0/gid=7).
    E [22/Jan/2014:18:23:08 -0600] Brother_7820N_on_server: File "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" has insecure permissions (0104750/uid=0/gid=7).
    Dell-Laptop:~ #
    It seems that file has bad permissions?
    Yes.
    See here: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...re-permissions
    It's this bug: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=685093#c9

    A workaround would be to uninstall "samba-krb-printing" f.e.
    That's only needed for kerberos authentication anyway. (if you don't know what that is, you most likely don't need it...)

  5. #5

    Default Re: /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    A workaround would be to uninstall "samba-krb-printing" f.e.
    That's only needed for kerberos authentication anyway. (if you don't know what that is, you most likely don't need it...)
    Yep, that did it! You...are......THA MAN!

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •