Thread: Help! no more user (unique user has been disabled)! no log possible anymore ;-(

Default Help! no more user (unique user has been disabled)! no log possible anymore ;-(

By mistake I have clicked on "disable user" (it is a french version and the translation appears to be not so clear to me) then after saving the changes, the screen becomes fully black ... then I reboot ... then impossible to log in... each type of mode requires always a logging.

Then I boot on dvd with puppy linux to search for an ideas on forums... I have seen it is possible to disable the password (I have also tried) by editing etc/passw and erasing the "x" on the line concerning my user account. But the result remains the same: "impossible to connect" (or something similar in french)

I also tried to boot on dvd life-opensuse, and try to edit the file passw: it says: not allowed: insufficient privilege!!! Then I suppose it will probably not work if I create a new user with the life session - it will remain independent from the installation on the HD

So I think about reinstalling everything, but I would like to avoid that, because it is a recent notebook and the first installation has been done by the shop where I bought it in Germany. They have optimized everything (ssd hard disk, blue-ray etc).

As rooky coming from windows, my only one experience of installing is with ubuntu 32 bits and puppy linux on old machines, and I have no idea of the basic commands of linux.

Could anyone help me??? thanks a lot in advance !!!

Default Re: Help! no more user (unique user has been disabled)! no log possible anymore ;-(

Log in as "root", that's the system administrator (password should be the same). Then enable your user again the same way as you disabled it.

But please note, that it's normally not recommended to use your system as "root".

Default Re: Help! no more user (unique user has been disabled)! no log possible anymore ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Log in as "root", that's the system administrator (password should be the same). Then enable your user again the same way as you disabled it.

But please note, that it's normally not recommended to use your system as "root".
    Thank you for your suggestion ... unfortunately, it doesn't work: so I tried
    user : root
    passw: root

user: /
    passw: /

user: \
    passw: \

and different combinations and aslo without password ... nope = =>"login incorrect"

for information, the prompt before the login is "Linux-xqhs.site" Do you know the meaning of this?

Thanks a lot for your support!!!

No, you misunderstood me.
    The username should be "root", the password should be the same one as your user has. (_not_ "root")

;-)

OK I try immediately

Red face Re: Help! no more user (unique user has been disabled)! no log possible anymore ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, you misunderstood me.
    The username should be "root", the password should be the same one as your user has. (_not_ "root")
    the combination user= root + passw= the very first one supplied with the notebook has worked !!!

A BIG THANK YOU
    I'll better sleep tonight ;-)