Thread: Google Talk Plugin Not working on 13.1

Default Google Talk Plugin Not working on 13.1

I am trying openSUSE, and coming from Fedora. I just installed 13.1 today, and the issue I am having is that I have downloaded the google talk plugin and I cant seem to get it to work in Chrome-Stable, Chromium, or FireFox. I have always used it to make called from Gmail.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this, or a solution?

Default Re: Google Talk Plugin Not working on 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by dtoebe View Post
    I am trying openSUSE, and coming from Fedora. I just installed 13.1 today, and the issue I am having is that I have downloaded the google talk plugin and I cant seem to get it to work in Chrome-Stable, Chromium, or FireFox. I have always used it to make called from Gmail.

assuming you mean the google hangouts plugin as google talk is no longer around.

How did you install it?

Probably the easiest way to install would be using Firefox - go to the google hangouts download page and select the correct distribution.
    For you that would be either the 32bit or 64bit openSUSE/Fedora .rpm
    This should load up a 1 click install and add the google hangouts repository.

google hangouts just works for me in both Firefox and Chromium.
    Nothing special required to get it going.

edit: oh, I see you have a new install (today).
    You may need to set up your system for multimedia
    Follow this guide
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...a-in-One-Click

Blog Entries

Hangouts just works from the browser
    I think there is an extension for chrome/ium that integrates it to the desktop
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Sorry for the delayed response. I downloaded the hangouts plugin .rpm from their site. And Hangouts chat works fine on both Gnome and KDE, but I use the plugin to make Google Voice calls from gmail. This is different than the extension in the chrome store.

FYI: Upon installing openSUSE Gnome, the hangouts plugin works fine. So It might me a KDE issue. I may try to slum it and install another KDE distro like Fedora or Kubuntu to see if the issue is present there.

Sorry for the delayed response. I downloaded the hangouts plugin .rpm from their site. And Hangouts chat works fine on both Gnome and KDE, but I use the plugin to make Google Voice calls from gmail. This is different than the extension in the chrome store.

FYI: Upon installing openSUSE Gnome, the hangouts plugin works fine. So It might me a KDE issue. I may try to slum it and install another KDE distro like Fedora or Kubuntu to see if the issue is present there.
    hangouts plugin gives me google voice calls from within gmail in both firefox and chromium.

if you have a look at this page

https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

it specifically states "Have voice and video conversations from your computer. The plugin is free and installs in seconds."

perhaps this page might help

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3144495?hl=en

I think I've got it working (video still not working) by creating the following symlink:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/chromium-browser/pepper /usr/lib64/chromium/pepper
    Edit to add: Just verified phone calls are working. Still no video. I "Always allowed" the plugin at chrome://plugins.
    Last edited by tcamdg; 02-Sep-2014 at 15:57. Reason: confirmed working, except for video