Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Connected to wireless but not to internet

  1. #1

    Default Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Hello everyone,

    I am new to openSUSE but not to linux in general. I wanted to try out SUSE (Gnome) on my laptop after having used Fedora for a long time.

    Install went fast and smooth, no problems what so ever. However, after install I have a strange network problem.
    I can connect to wireless networks without a problem, however I can not connect to the net.

    Network adapter is a Ralink RT3290, but it is recognised by the system.
    ifconfig and iwconfig don't give anything strange. Shows the network card, shows the connection.
    I get an ip-adress
    I have tried using google dns servers but that doesn't help.

    But I can't even ping something, there is absolutely no data flowing.

    Can anyone help me diagnose this some more or help me resolve it?

    Running OpenSUSE 13.1 on a HP DM1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,728

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Hello and welcome here.

    Please allways show us what your computer tells you. Only posting your conclusions do not provide enough information. After all you want our advice and thus our conclusions.

    Thus when you say "however I can not connect to the net.", you should tell us (better show us) why you think so. E.g. by doing something like
    Code:
    ping -c1 8.8.8.8
    Also saying "ifconfig and iwconfig don't give anything strange" only tells us that you think there in't something strange. but in fact it does tell nothing (we are non believers ). To convince us, show the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt by copy/paste between CODE tags in your post. You get he CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post editor.

    And while you are at it, please add that same of
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Hello and welcome here.

    Please allways show us what your computer tells you. Only posting your conclusions do not provide enough information. After all you want our advice and thus our conclusions.

    Thus when you say "however I can not connect to the net.", you should tell us (better show us) why you think so. E.g. by doing something like
    Code:
    ping -c1 8.8.8.8
    Also saying "ifconfig and iwconfig don't give anything strange" only tells us that you think there in't something strange. but in fact it does tell nothing (we are non believers ). To convince us, show the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt by copy/paste between CODE tags in your post. You get he CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post editor.

    And while you are at it, please add that same of
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    Wish I could, problem is that at the moment I do not have the availability of a wired connection. I will try and copy-paste some output via stick, but at the moment I am kind of stuck.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Hello and welcome here.

    Please allways show us what your computer tells you. Only posting your conclusions do not provide enough information. After all you want our advice and thus our conclusions.

    Thus when you say "however I can not connect to the net.", you should tell us (better show us) why you think so. E.g. by doing something like
    Code:
    ping -c1 8.8.8.8
    Also saying "ifconfig and iwconfig don't give anything strange" only tells us that you think there in't something strange. but in fact it does tell nothing (we are non believers ). To convince us, show the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt by copy/paste between CODE tags in your post. You get he CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post editor.

    And while you are at it, please add that same of
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    Okay, that was a lot quicker than is suspected. I do not know why, but pinging the dns-server did get a result, but both network-tools and a terminal command for the domain give no result.

    Code:
    ifconfig
    wlo1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 68:94:23:CC:A5:47  
              inet addr:129.125.202.175  Bcast:129.125.223.255       Mask:255.255.224.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::6a94:23ff:fecc:a547/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:65068 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:110 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:6364286 (6.0 Mb)  TX bytes:21476 (20.9 Kb)
    Code:
    iwconfig
    wlo1      IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"eduroam"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:13:1A:90:E5:D0   
              Bit Rate=36 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=50/70  Signal level=-60 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:173   Missed beacon:0
    Code:
    ping -c1 8.8.8.8
    PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=10.6 ms
    
    --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 10.621/10.621/10.621/0.000 ms
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    Destination        Gateway               Genmask          Flags    Metric    Ref    Use    Iface
    0.0.0.0             129.125.223.251    0.0.0.0             UG       0           0      0        wlo1
    129.125.192.0    0.0.0.0                 255.255.224.0   U         9           0      0       wlo1
    I had thought to see how the routing was organised, but I am sorry to say that I do not have sufficient knowledge of networking to know if something strange is happening.
    I am now connected (or not) via an eduroam connection, but I have tried a number of coffeeshops around the University all with the same effect.
    NM-tool output gives nothing out of the ordinary. Driver rt2800pci should be fine I think.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Hi, welcome to the openSUSE forums,

    My guess is you're missing the gateway address (i.e. the address of your router as the gateway's IP). But that's just a guess, since you don't show your output.
    Furtheron my guess is that you don't use the Networkmanager? Is that correct?

    If you use 'ifup' instead of Networkmanager, add your router's IP as the gateway.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hi, welcome to the openSUSE forums,

    My guess is you're missing the gateway address (i.e. the address of your router as the gateway's IP). But that's just a guess, since you don't show your output.
    Sorry, I gave the full output of
    Code:
    route -n
    , if I run
    Code:
    netstat -(n)r
    I get the exact same results

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Furtheron my guess is that you don't use the Networkmanager? Is that correct?

    If you use 'ifup' instead of Networkmanager, add your router's IP as the gateway.
    Nope, I run the standard NM, not ifup. Strange thing is that I have run Fedora20 on this machine and had no problem with the wireless. Router's IP isn't interesting as a solution as it happens with every Wireless Connection I try.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,728

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    When you can ping to 8.8.8.8, you do have Internet connection ) and you have a default gateway 129.125.223.251 functioning.

    What I am still missing is what happens that make you say that you can not connect to the Internet (which btw you just proved as being not true, that is why we are non-believers).

    Maybe you try to connect to a host.domainname?
    When that is the case, it could be that your system can not resolve host domain name into IP addresses. To see what your DNS server is:
    Code:
    grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf
    But again, I am guessing and guessing. You did not specify what you did, what you expected to happen and what happened instead (that are the three parts of a good problem description) that you shortened to the simple cry "no internet". It is only a little bit less usefull then the infamous "it does note work".
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    My apologies but I did not just cry 'No Internet'.
    As I stated, I walked through most of the steps that I could think of and couldn't find anything logically wrong.
    When I got a ping response on the DNS I also had a look in firewall and browser settings, however:

    Firefox can't connect to any websites
    Can't update the system, when it tries to do so it gives a "can't connect" message
    Again, I am on my Uni's eduroam (Groningen by the way @Knurpht) so I can't see if I can create a connection with other devices on a network
    However, this morning during install on my home network, I got the same results.
    Only thing that proved to me that there was any kind of connection (apart from the applet) is the fact that when I ping directly to the dns I get a response, however when I want to ping a domain it says that it can't find the domain.
    This would imply a strange DNS mistake, but I already added the google dns settings just to be safe.

    So I have no idea what kind of output is handy at the moment or what is going wrong.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,728

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Maupertus View Post
    My apologies but I did not just cry 'No Internet'.
    From your first post:
    however I can not connect to the net.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maupertus View Post
    As I stated, I walked through most of the steps that I could think of and couldn't find anything logically wrong.
    When I got a ping response on the DNS I also had a look in firewall and browser settings, however:

    Firefox can't connect to any websites
    As I guess you only tried a few and not "any", did you try
    Code:
    http://173.194.67.94
    Quote Originally Posted by Maupertus View Post
    Can't update the system, when it tries to do so it gives a "can't connect" message
    Again, I am on my Uni's eduroam (Groningen by the way @Knurpht) so I can't see if I can create a connection with other devices on a network
    However, this morning during install on my home network, I got the same results.
    Only thing that proved to me that there was any kind of connection (apart from the applet) is the fact that when I ping directly to the dns I get a response, however when I want to ping a domain it says that it can't find the domain.
    This would imply a strange DNS mistake, but I already added the google dns settings just to be safe.

    So I have no idea what kind of output is handy at the moment or what is going wrong.
    I asked you above in post #7.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10

    Default Re: Connected to wireless but not to internet

    Code:
    grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf
    Gave no output. I have run through a large number of websites from different domains and origins and have tried a number of direct ip addresses, no luck what so ever.
    If I edit the resolv.conf and resolv.conf.netconfig to add google nameservers (I know it's not meant to be done manually in that last one's case) I briefly get access to websites but only for a minute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •