Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Unable to access Yast

  1. #31

    Default Re: Unable to access Yast

    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner2014 View Post
    No I never got to that step. This is after I ran the "chmod" command, then I switched to the GUI, and then this is the output you see. I have not been able to get into /etc/sysconfig/security.
    You have to edit the text file /etc/sysconfig/security _before_ you run chkstat. Otherwise chkstat just sets back all permissions to the "paranoid" ones, and thus break su and sudo again.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Unable to access Yast

    On 2014-01-21 18:56, RoadRunner2014 wrote:

    > I am locked out again...
    > I checked manually in the /etc/sysconfig folder and couldn't find the
    > "permissions" file!


    Because it is "/etc/sysconfig/security" :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Unable to access Yast

    On 2014-01-21 20:26, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > RoadRunner2014;2618216 Wrote:
    >> No I never got to that step. This is after I ran the "chmod" command,
    >> then I switched to the GUI, and then this is the output you see. I have
    >> not been able to get into /etc/sysconfig/security.

    > You have to edit the text file /etc/sysconfig/security _before_ you run
    > chkstat. Otherwise chkstat just sets back all permissions to the
    > "paranoid" ones, and thus break su and sudo again.


    Right. The OP could use the install "LiveUSB" for that.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #34

    Default Re: Unable to access Yast

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You have to edit the text file /etc/sysconfig/security _before_ you run chkstat. Otherwise chkstat just sets back all permissions to the "paranoid" ones, and thus break su and sudo again.
    And it is fixed. The command worked as you advised and I am into Yast again. WOOHOO. Thank you
    Quite an awesome learning experience and I am still going to have to reinstall due to the encrypted disk, but I know a few things now to keep an eye out for. Thank you folks for leading the way

  5. #35

    Default Re: Unable to access Yast

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

    Right. The OP could use the install "LiveUSB" for that.
    Thanks so much, I followed wolfi323's steps and I am into Yast again - yay! Now on to exploring my system further after I reinstall

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)[/QUOTE]

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Unable to access Yast

    On 2014-01-21 23:46, RoadRunner2014 wrote:

    > And it is fixed. The command worked as you advised and I am into Yast
    > again. WOOHOO. Thank you
    > Quite an awesome learning experience and I am still going to have to
    > reinstall due to the encrypted disk, but I know a few things now to keep
    > an eye out for. Thank you folks for leading the way


    Welcome!

    Many people install once, learn a bit, then reinstall to do it better
    the second time.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •