Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.1 Install Problems – Browsers, Reboot and Log-off

Default 13.1 Install Problems – Browsers, Reboot and Log-off

I installed OpenSuse 13.1 on a machine last weekend and everything went pretty much by the book; this weekend I tried on another machine and no such luck. It was a mostly by the defaults install on an existing 12.3 system from DVD – I chose the new install rather than the upgrade but did not reformat /home, also chose to install SSH. When the install script finished - Firefox hung contemplating add-ons, Conqueror will not start, YaST seems to work fine, reboot or log-off hangs. I tried creating a new user and that account has the same problems. Logging in as root solves the browser, reboot and log-off problems. So - big leap here – I would hazard the guess that the install script sets the permissions on something incorrectly. Any good speculation on what that something might be?

Thanks for your time,
    Best,
    -Ned

Blog Entries

Default Re: 13.1 Install Problems – Browsers, Reboot and Log-off

A warning: don't use the desktop as root.

You tell us you left /home unformatted, do you mean you imported the existing partitioning incl. mountpoints? If so, did you also import the users from the existing install?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

By default the first user on a new install has UID 1000 make sure that the /home for that user is 1000 or change the UID appropriately. Note that the system use the UID not the name as the user identification the name is just for us meat bags.

You did not say your desktop???

Never log into a GUI as root. you can inadvertently damage stuff

If you must log in as root log to a terminal

I do not make a habit of using the GUI as root. However, in this case, in order to see if browsers were not working of their own accord or whether it is a permissions problem I did - and it seems to be a permissions problem.

Now as far as users, at install there was only one (ned) with id=1000 (in group “users”, gid=100). And yes, that user seems to have transferred just fine. I added a user (test), uid=1001 & gid=100. User test had no existing setup or history files to confuse issues but is similarly unable to raise a browser or log-off cleanly.

Current behavior of browsers for unprivileged users – Firefox displays the first tab with “connecting…” and does not change from there; Konqueror gives the bouncing globe for 30 seconds or so and disappears.

-Ned

Maybe a PAM configuration issue?

Please post the output of this run as normal user:
    Code:
    loginctl
    This shows whether your session is correctly registered with logind. If it is not, you won't have sufficient permissions for many things: accessing the audio device, suspend/hibernate/reboot/poweroff, connecting to a network with NetworkManager, mounting drives, direct access to the video card (which in turn could cause applications to crash or not show graphics),...

I don't pretend to know what this is saying but here it is:

> loginctl
    SESSION UID USER SEAT
    1 1000 ned seat0
    1 sessions listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Calculator View Post
    I don't pretend to know what this is saying but here it is:

> loginctl
    SESSION UID USER SEAT
    1 1000 ned seat0
    1 sessions listed.
    That looks ok, provided your currently logged in user is called "ned"...

Maybe a graphics driver issue? What card do you have and what driver? There has been a bug in the nvidia driver 331.20 that may cause many interesting problems...

When you log in to a different session (IceWM f.e., you can select that on the login screen by clicking on the wrench symbol), can you run Firefox or Konqueror there?
    Do you get any errors when you run them in a terminal window?

Hos do you connect to the Internet? How did you set-up the connection?

Maybe your /home is full? root uses /root as home directory which is on the root partition, so may still work then.

It's not a disk space issue; / uses 5G and has 14G available, /home uses 426G and has 470G available

The connection to the internet is working if you happen to be root - YaST is able to update just fine.

I rebooted (can't log-out) and selected IceWM from the login screen. Brought up both Firefox and Chromium, both of which hung (for at least three minutes) with a "connecting..." message.

You may be on to something with the graphics card and driver. YaST-Hardware Information reports: nVidia VGA compatible controller, Hwcfg Bus: pci, Kernal Driver: drm

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Calculator View Post
    The connection to the internet is working if you happen to be root - YaST is able to update just fine.
    Yes, but how do you connect? Via wireless?
    How did you configure the connection?

Does it work if you run "ping opensuse.org" in a terminal window as user? What output do you get?

I rebooted (can't log-out) and selected IceWM from the login screen. Brought up both Firefox and Chromium, both of which hung (for at least three minutes) with a "connecting..." message.
    OK, so it's not specific to the desktop.
    Did you run them from a terminal window? Did you get any output in the terminal window?

You may be on to something with the graphics card and driver. YaST-Hardware Information reports: nVidia VGA compatible controller, Hwcfg Bus: pci, Kernal Driver: drm
    So, what graphics card is it?
    And did you install any driver for it?

Post the "Model:" line from YaST->Hardware Information please. And please also post what the "Driver:" line says.

My graphics card is a EVGA GeForce GT 430 which falls into the category of NVIDIA legacy cards (GeForce 4 and older). So I found the very helpful page http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers and followed the zypper instructions:

Add repository
    zypper ar –f ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/ nvidia
    Install
    zypper install x11-video-nvidia
    Restart
    Hitch was that the install step reported “Nothing to do” so I went to YaST-s/w management and searched for “nvidia”. The packages ending with “G01”, “G02” and “G03” for graphics cards newer and more capable than mine are there but the one for legacy cards is not. (Installing a high class driver for a low class card will put you in a place you do not want to be.)

lspci | grep VGA returns:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
    YaST hardware information reports that the graphics driver is: nouveau

ping opensuse.org from a terminal window as an unprivileged user results in 100% packet loss and surprising to me is that when su’ed to root in that same window, I also get 100% packet loss. And yet, I’m able to get additional packages and updates.

My connection to the internet is via wired connection, setup by the install package.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast