Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan 18 Kernel update and NVIDIA driver mismatch

Default Jan 18 Kernel update and NVIDIA driver mismatch

Hello all,

I seem to be stuck at the moment. On January 18, my system performed a kernel update. Since that time I have not been able to get back into X.

I am running:
    cat /etc/os-release
    NAME=openSUSE
    VERSION="13.1 (Bottle)"
    VERSION_ID="13.1"
    PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)"
    ID=opensuse
    ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/opensusepensuse:13.1"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
    HOME_URL="https://opensuse.org/"
    ID_LIKE="suse"

Kernel:
    Linux hub 3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have the following card installed: (lspci -k)
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 2806
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file gives the following:
    <begin log clip>
    "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
    [ 19.940] (==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
    [ 19.940] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
    [ 19.940] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    [ 19.940] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    [ 19.940] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Version mismatch detected between the NVIDIA X driver and the
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GLX module. X driver version: 331.38; GLX module
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): version: 304.117. Please try reinstalling the NVIDIA
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): driver.
    [ 19.941] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [ 19.941] (EE) NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [ 19.941] (EE) NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [ 19.941] (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    [ 19.941] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen 0
    [ 19.941] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    [ 19.941] (II) UnloadSubModule: "wfb"
    [ 19.941] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fb"
    [ 19.941] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    [ 19.941] (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    [ 19.941] (EE) no screens found(EE)
    [ 19.941] (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    </end log clip>

So far I have attempted several things to resolve this issue.
    I have completely removed all NVIDIA drivers and attempted to revert to the nouveau drivers. The same error message is observed in the log.

I checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf. This file is basically empty. (I assume this is correct to allow auto configuration but am not sure.)
    I have also attempted to blacklist the glx and nvidia drivers from loading
    I have checked for and did not find an errant Xorg.conf file on my system.
    I have hand verified that the removal of the nvidia drivers was successful. I did not find any modules left from the previous installation. I did however find mention of nvidia modules in the kernel source directories. (for example: /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/video)
    I even tried to back-rev the proprietary NVIDIA driver back to the 304.117 version to no avail.

I currently have the 304.117 version of the NVIDIA driver installed (that is why you see the nvidia module in the lspci -k output above) and am still having the same conflict according to the Xorg.0.log file.

Can anyone provide some guidance with this issue? I am not sure where I am going wrong.

Thanks in advance
    Wayne

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jan 18 Kernel update and NVIDIA driver mismatch

There was no kernel update that I know of
    But there was a nvidia driver and associated update which dragged in a couple of extra packages for me
    IIRC: pv and something to do with nvidia and openGL
    Not on that machine right now, so I can't look further
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thank you. You are correct. My bad. Here is the line from /var/log/zypp/history.

# 2014-01-18 07:04:00 nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.38_k3.11.6_4-23.1.x86_64.rpm installed ok
    # Additional rpm output:
    # make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4-obj/x86_64/desktop'
    # CC [M] /usr/src/kernel-modules/nvidia-331.38-desktop/nv.o
    # In file included from /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/arch/x86/include/asm/bitops.h:514:0,
    # from /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/include/linux/bitops.h:22,
    # from /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/include/linux/kernel.h:10,
    # from /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/include/linux/sched.h:15,
    # from /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/include/linux/utsname.h:5,
    # from /usr/src/kernel-modules/nvidia-331.38-desktop/nv-linux.h:44,
    # from /usr/src/kernel-modules/nvidia-331.38-desktop/nv.c:13:
    # /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/include/linux/bitops.h: In function 'hweight_long':
    # /usr/src/linux-3.11.6-4/include/asm-generic/bitops/const_hweight.h:27:70: warning: signed and unsigned type in conditional expression [-Wsign-compare]
    # #define hweight64(w) (__builtin_constant_p(w) ? __const_hweight64(w) : __arch_hweight64(w))
    # ^

I had the exact same problem with that Nvidia update with my GTX 650 Ti Boost.

Blog Entries

Here's the culprit:
    Code:
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Version mismatch detected between the NVIDIA X driver and the
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GLX module. X driver version: 331.38; GLX module
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): version: 304.117. Please try reinstalling the NVIDIA
    [ 19.940] (EE) NVIDIA(0): driver.
    BTW this is posted between CODE tags, the # in the editor.

Please post output of
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep nvidia
    my bet is that the kmp's NVIDIA version does not match the x11-video ones.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Here's an image of the output of the command you suggested. Not sure if it's pasted correctly so let me know if you can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by iluria View Post

Here's an image of the output of the command you suggested. Not sure if it's pasted correctly so let me know if you can't see it.
    Please, just post the text. You should still be able to boot to a graphical system by choosing "Recovery mode" under "Advanced Options" in the boot menu.

And please post the output of this as well:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    Anyway, my bet is that you have _both_ the G02 and the G03 driver installed.
    I would suggest to remove _all_ nvidia packages in YaST. And kernel-default if that is installed.

Then start YaST again and only install the packages you want, i.e. _either_ nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop, x11-video-nvidiaG03 and nvidia-computeG03, _or_ the same in their G02 variants.

If you don't remove everything first and re-install the correct packages, there's no guarantee that the correct files are present. Those G02 and G03 packages overwrite each other's files, so it's quite random which files you really have on your hard disk now.

Recovery mode hasn't worked since the nvidia update. I guess right clicking on an image icon is too much trouble but yes there were G02 and G03 drivers installed. I tried removing them all with Zypper and reinstalling only the G02 drivers. Still no dice. Still no recovery mode either.

Quote Originally Posted by iluria View Post
    I guess right clicking on an image icon is too much trouble but yes there were G02 and G03 drivers installed.
    No, but I didn't even see an image icon in your post.

I right-clicked on that empty icon now.
    So you even had 4! nvidia kernel module packages installed...

I tried removing them all with Zypper and reinstalling only the G02 drivers. Still no dice. Still no recovery mode either.
    And do you get a graphical mode (maybe in "Recovery mode") when you just uninstall all nvidia packages?

And please post "rpm -qa | grep nvidia" again to confirm.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Here is the output requested:
    hub:~ # rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia
    hub:~ #

As you can see. Zero nvidia packages installed at the moment. I also removed the proprietary nvidia drivers by running the installer with the --uninstall option. I have also re-installed the nouveau drivers to no avail since my last posting.

Your hunch was correct Wolfi323. I DID have both G2 and G3 versions installed to begin with. Not sure how that happened but I am sure it was my doings.

I do not understand why the configuration will not go back to using the nouveau drivers. I have checked the /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf file and the module is not currently blacklisted. It seems like I am missing something in the configuration somewhere that has been told to use the nvidia drivers. Also, how can it be complaining about this version mis-match when none of those modules are present on the system from what I can see anyway. Trying to understand.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast