Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96

    Default Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    I'm trying to get netflix working on two computers, both running 12.3, one 32bit the other 64bit. I installed netflix-desktop (one click installation from the website) and pipelight (from http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.3/), installed the user-agent switcher in fireforx, setting it to Firefox24 Windows.

    The problem I am running into is that netflix insists I have to upgrade silverlight. Other's have encountered this problem (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1164453) but the solution offered there - to remove the ./wine-browser directory does not apply since there is no such directory (I assume because opensuse has 2.0 version of the netflix-desktop package whereas they are refering to to higher version).

    Has anyone encountered this and fixed it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Brouwer2 wrote:
    >
    > I'm trying to get netflix working on two computers, both running 12.3,
    > one 32bit the other 64bit. I installed netflix-desktop (one click
    > installation from the website) and pipelight (from
    > http://tinyurl.com/q4osaf9), installed the user-agent switcher in
    > fireforx, setting it to Firefox24 Windows.
    >
    > The problem I am running into is that netflix insists I have to upgrade
    > silverlight. Other's have encountered this problem (see
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1164453) but the
    > solution offered there - to remove the ./wine-browser directory does not
    > apply since there is no such directory (I assume because opensuse has
    > 2.0 version of the netflix-desktop package whereas they are refering to
    > to higher version).
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this and fixed it? Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    >

    pipelight depends on wine(windows emulator) to work. Hence you should
    have a .wine folder in your home directory

    Run this command from terminal or konsole to find the wine directories

    Code:
    find $HOME -iname ".wine*"
    --
    GNOME 3.10.2
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Right, there's a .wine and .wine-pipelight directory but no .wine-browser directory.

    From what I gathered from the thread linked to previously the netflix-desktop packager for Ubuntu changed something and later versions (greater than 6 or 7) moved some stuff from the .netflix-desktop directory to a .wine-browser directory. The version available for opensuse (2) does not have this. His fix for this problem is just to delete this directory, and it seems to work for Ubuntu users who had this problem, but the solution does not apply to opensuse.

    Since there aren't any posts on the forum about this problem with netflix I am guessing that it is working for other people, so it either never came up for them, in which case I probably did something wrong in the installation, or they have had the problem and fixed it. Either way it's not clear to me what to do next.
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Brouwer2 wrote:
    >
    > Right, there's a .wine and .wine-pipelight directory but no
    > ..wine-browser directory.
    >
    > From what I gathered from the thread linked to previously the
    > netflix-desktop packager for Ubuntu changed something and later versions
    > (greater than 6 or 7) moved some stuff from the .netflix-desktop
    > directory to a .wine-browser directory. The version available for
    > opensuse (2) does not have this. His fix for this problem is just to
    > delete this directory, and it seems to work for Ubuntu users who had
    > this problem, but the solution does not apply to opensuse.
    >
    > Since there aren't any posts on the forum about this problem with
    > netflix I am guessing that it is working for other people, so it either
    > never came up for them, in which case I probably did something wrong in
    > the installation, or they have had the problem and fixed it. Either way
    > it's not clear to me what to do next.
    >
    >

    Try cleaning up wine folder as described here
    http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ/#head-989...a17aaf2e69b391

    --
    GNOME 3.10.2
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Please correct me if I am wrong, but you are referring to section "4.5 How do I wipe the virtual Window's installation?" If so, can I ask you're thinking behind this? If I understood correctly, the .wine-browser is created by installing netflix-desktop and contains some silverlight settings having to do with updates. Deleting the .wine directory seems overkill.

    At any rate I tried it (at least I renamed the directory), and it did not fix the silverlight update issue, while also making some other wine applications unusable.

    Has no one else experienced this silverlight issue?
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Brouwer2 View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but you are referring to section "4.5 How do I wipe the virtual Window's installation?" If so, can I ask you're thinking behind this? If I understood correctly, the .wine-browser is created by installing netflix-desktop and contains some silverlight settings having to do with updates. Deleting the .wine directory seems overkill.

    At any rate I tried it (at least I renamed the directory), and it did not fix the silverlight update issue, while also making some other wine applications unusable.

    Has no one else experienced this silverlight issue?
    Based on a quick google, search I'd say others have...

    Maybe this is applicable?

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/27836...erlight-update

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    ...and a bug report discussing the same

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1168939

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Yes, I linked to the launchpad bug report in my first post.

    The two posts you link to are exactly why I was asking about the .wine-browser directory.

    The problem is that the solution in both these posts is inapplicable to openSUSE because the netflix-desktop version is lower than on Ubuntu, and the .wine-browser directory is created by a version of netflix-desktop than the one available for openSUSE.
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5

  9. #9

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Is the problem only with Netflix-desktop? You say you installed Pipelight, but have you tried using it for Netflix?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Netflix-desktop demands silverlight upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by dimesio View Post
    Is the problem only with Netflix-desktop? You say you installed Pipelight, but have you tried using it for Netflix?
    Do you mean have I tried watching netflix on a non-Wine browser? Yes. Pipelight installs silverlight 5 as a firefox plugin; I get nothing doing this. I select something to watch and the viewing part of the screen just goes black, no blue wheel while it loads, no red splash screen with a percentage counter, no circle with a back arrow. Nothing.

    I have also tried launching the wine version of firefox directly (not through the netflix menu item), and the result is the same as described in previous posts, it asks for a silverlight upgrade.
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •