Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Posts
    78

    Default How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    As the question suggest I want to remove the splash screen when the computer is booting up. I like seeing the scrolling text. I know I can hit escape and view it but I would like a more permanent solution.

    openSUSE 13.1
    KDE

  2. #2

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Argedion View Post
    As the question suggest I want to remove the splash screen when the computer is booting up. I like seeing the scrolling text. I know I can hit escape and view it but I would like a more permanent solution.

    openSUSE 13.1
    KDE
    Right now I can think of the following options:
    - Change the kernel boot option "splash=silent" to "splash=verbose"
    - Disable plymouth by adding "plymouth.enable=0" to the kernel boot options
    - uninstall plymouth completely

    You can use YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options to change the kernel boot options.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    On 2014-01-18 17:16, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > Argedion;2617142 Wrote:



    >> openSUSE 13.1
    >> KDE

    > Right now I can think of the following options:
    > - Change the kernel boot option "splash=silent" to "splash=verbose"


    I use:

    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash=verbose loglevel=3"
    in "/etc/default/grub". Read the notice in the file:

    Code:
    >
    > # If you change this file, run 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' afterwards to update
    > # /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

    > - Disable plymouth by adding "plymouth.enable=0" to the kernel boot
    > options
    > - uninstall plymouth completely


    I do the later: with the above options, plymouth does nothing, anyway,
    it is not needed.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,317
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    On Sat 18 Jan 2014 04:28:07 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2014-01-18 17:16, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > - uninstall plymouth completely


    I do the later: with the above options, plymouth does nothing, anyway,
    it is not needed.
    Hi
    Likewise, but once all 5 packages are removed, run mkinitrd so it's
    removed completely.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    On 2014-01-18 17:52, malcolmlewis wrote:

    > Hi
    > Likewise, but once all 5 packages are removed, run mkinitrd so it's
    > removed completely.


    Of course, thanks; I often forget to mention that point.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,664
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    - uninstall plymouth completely
    Yes, that's what I use.

    Or, more accurately, if installing from the DVD, I unselect "plymouth" in the software select part of install. That way, it is never installed.

    If installing from a live image, I remove plymouth, then run "mkinitrd".
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    On 2014-01-18 19:46, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > wolfi323;2617145 Wrote:
    >> - uninstall plymouth completely

    >
    > Yes, that's what I use.
    >
    > Or, more accurately, if installing from the DVD, I unselect "plymouth"
    > in the software select part of install. That way, it is never
    > installed.


    Yes, same here. I actually have a note on paper with what to add and
    what to remove on installs. Plumouth is prominent on the small remove
    column.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: How would I remove the splash screen at boot time?

    I thank you all for your help.

    I went to yast/bootloader removed splash=silent quiet and replaced with splash=verbose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •