External Display

Hi I have an Asus x54c laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics, I connect it to my LG 32" TV via HDMI and clone my laptops display at 1366x768 and the problem I have is as follows.

At 1366x768 the advanced picture settings on my TV are locked out and can’t be changed, If I change my TV to 1080p (which I don’t want to do as everything is to small) then the advanced picture settings are suddenly available.

I have tried Ubuntu. openSUSE and Fedora and all have exactly the same issue (Windows does not) so I’m guessing it’s Intel driver related (perhaps the way the laptop identifies itself to the TV?).

I have also tried my laptop connected to 2 Samsung TV’s (A 23" LED and a 43" Plasma) and they also have the same problem.

Is there anyway I can change the way my laptop identifies itself to my TV? EG: If my TV thought that the laptop was a games console the problem would be solved (I think).

Any suggestions welcome.

Edit: changing the connection labels on the TV doesn’t make any difference.

Is there anyway I can change the way my laptop identifies itself to my TV? EG: If my TV thought that the laptop was a games console the problem would be solved (I think).

Actually, it is the other way around. The TV provides EDID info to the graphics card, and this allows Xorg to set a preferred mode. Maybe the Windows driver uses different timings by default, and so the TV copes differently. If you could get the modline (timing values) that Windows is using, it may be possible to manually configure Xorg to do the same.

Hi thanks, I’ll look into that, It means installing windows again unfortunately (unless I can do it from within a VirtualBox).