Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Looking for advice on installing on UEFI desktop

Default Re: Looking for advice on installing on UEFI desktop

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I believe I was able to boot a 64-bit openSUSE-13.1 liveUSB on my Toshbia Ultrabook , which boots in UEFI mode (dual boot with win8).
    So that may have changed.

The other point that you had:

I was about to call it quits for the night, when it occured to me I could try 'flagging' the 256 MB FAT32 /sdb1 as a 'boot' partition. So I did that. ...
    My amateur view of this:

(1) It seemed to work. Great.

(2) I always thought that 'flagging' a partition as 'boot' would have been a feature of MBR devices,
    and that booting from GPT devices in UEFI mode takes place in a different way.
    If this were true, then your BIOS may have been confused, although windows 7 installer accepted it gladly.

Currently win7 boots by default. If I wish to boot to the liveDVD I need to press F12 (as expected) to get a boot menu from the firmware. One thing that I did not expect, is I obtain a different Microsoft entry when I press F12 in the Firware for booting that has no "UEFI" label in-front, as opposed to the DVD drive which does have such a label.
    A suggestion:
    (a) Wipe the partition table using dd.
    (b) Install w7 again (in UEFI mode, or with a newly created GPT),
    which will create the EFI and MSR and C: partitions again,
    as you managed to do beforehand.
    (c) Delete the MSR and C: partitions.
    Then increase the size of the remaining EFI partition.
    Then install w7 again.

Does your BIOS still behave the same way as before?

Good luck
    Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    (2) I always thought that 'flagging' a partition as 'boot' would have been a feature of MBR devices,
    and that booting from GPT devices in UEFI mode takes place in a different way.
    If this were true, then your BIOS may have been confused, although windows 7 installer accepted it gladly.
    I don't think the 'firmware' is confused. Instead I think windows7 was confused, and by flagging a FAT32 partition on /dev/sdb1 as boot, it met some software criteria in windows7 to treat that flagged partition as the EFI partition, and not try to create its own partition. I do think the firmware on this Gigabyte Z87X-D3H motherboard is very flexible. For example, in the Firmware I currently have set:

• Boot Mode Selection - controls wht device system can boot to
      • UEFI and Legacy <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I have this selected
      • Legacy only
      • UEFI only

• Storage Option Control - controls the execution of UEFI and Storage OpROM
      • Disabled
      • UEFI only <<<<<<<<<<<<< I have this selected
      • Legacy only
      • Legacy first
      • UEFI first

• Other PCI Device ROM Priority - for PCI devices other than Network, Mass Storage or Video defines which OpROM to launch
      • UEFI OpROM <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I have this selected
      • Legacy OpROM

I believe the above provides a reasonable degree of flexibility when installing.

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    A suggestion:
    (a) Wipe the partition table using dd.
    (b) Install w7 again (in UEFI mode, or with a newly created GPT), which will create the EFI and MSR and C: partitions again, as you managed to do beforehand.
    (c) Delete the MSR and C: partitions. Then increase the size of the remaining EFI partition. Then install w7 again.
    I tried that previous. Gparted gave me an error when trying to increase the size of the remaining EFI. I did not pause to figure why (the error) but it was after than when I tried using a 'boot' flag.

I now have Win7 installed, with a 256 MB EFI which is not too bad. I think I should be able to put a few GNU/Linux and Win7 boot i that EFI, so instead I think I will now give openSUSE-13.1 a try and see how the install goes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Create;
    sda1 - 100MB type ef00
    unallocated - 160MB
    sda2 - 128MB - 0c01
    etc

Then install, then use gparted to expand to 260MB, remember it doesn't matter the good thing about efi is it's just files, so can be copied anywhere and booted from anywhere. The only thing that is required for the ESP, a) it's vfat and b) type ef00. All that is needed is adding back via efibootmgr to the nvram, you can have multiple ESP across a drive or multiple drives, usb devices etc....
    Thanks. I've been using a gparted liveCD to do my partitioning, and when I tried previous to expand the sda1 from 100 MB to 260MB, gparted gave me an error and would not change the partition size. I did not dwell on that, but rather tried other options afterward , where upon I tried the idea of flagging a gparted created 260 MB sdb1 FAT32 EFI as 'boot' , and with that sdb1 flagged as 'boot' (which I suspect means active) windows7 did not then try to create its own EFI. And windows7 did install all its appropriate EFI boot files in that boot flagged (ie active flagged) sdb1 partition.

Given I now I have Win7 installed, instead of repartitioning one more time, I think I may boot to the gparted liveCD , and remove the 'boot' flag from sdb1 (ie remove the active partition flag from sdb1). ... Then try to reboot and see if win7 boots ok.

If that does not work , then at that time might I consider repartitioning one more time. Else if after removing the 'boot' flag, windows7 still boots, I will then go for my openSUSE-13.1 install.

Blog Entries

Given I now I have Win7 installed, instead of repartitioning one more time, I think I may boot to the gparted liveCD , and remove the 'boot' flag from sdb1 (ie remove the active partition flag from sdb1). ... Then try to reboot and see if win7 boots ok.
    I removed the boot flag (active partition flag) from the /sdb1 (which is the FAT32 EFI), and win7 still boots ok. So likely later today (or tomorrow) I will install openSUSE-13.1.

On a different note, currently win7 refuses to recognize the mouse via my kvm switch. Instead I need to insert a mouse direct into one of the motherboard's USB ports to use win7. However the PC's firmware, when I enter it, recognizes the kvm mouse with no problem. gparted liveCD works ok with the kvm mouse. The openSUSE-13.1 liveUSB works ok with the kvm mouse.

Blog Entries

I removed the boot flag (active partition flag) from the /sdb1 (which is the FAT32 EFI), and win7 still boots ok. So likely later today (or tomorrow) I will install openSUSE-13.1.
    I installed openSUSE-13.1 nominally. No dramas. It booted fine immediately, despite this being UEFI firmware on GPT. I also selected secure boot, even though I believe secure boot is not enabled currently in this firmware.

I note this from efibootmgr -v :
    Code:
    4770:/home/oldcpu # efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0004
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0004,0003,0005,0009,000A,0002,0001,0000
    Boot0000* TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB      BIOS(3,0,00)AMBO
    Boot0001* ST2000DM001-1CH164    BIOS(2,0,00)AMBO
    Boot0002* SanDisk SD6SB1M256G1022I      BIOS(2,0,00)AMBO
    Boot0003* opensuse      HD(1,800,82000,4fc1f61d-b032-4cbd-9eda-3dc1a71c5908)File(\EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi)
    Boot0004* opensuse-secureboot   HD(1,800,82000,4fc1f61d-b032-4cbd-9eda-3dc1a71c5908)File(\EFI\opensuse\shim.efi)
    Boot0005* Windows Boot Manager  HD(1,800,82000,4fc1f61d-b032-4cbd-9eda-3dc1a71c5908)File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...a................
    Boot0009* UEFI: ST2000DM001-1CH164      ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1f,2)03120a000000ffff0000HD(1,800,80000,cde86124-7fda-4269-bb4d-ccc36efdf3b9)AMBO
    Boot000A* UEFI: SanDisk SD6SB1M256G1022I        ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1f,2)03120a000100ffff0000HD(4,8592800,82000,a7f589cf-be23-44a2-9725-0738d992c876)AMBO
    By default the desktop PC boots to openSUSE.

But there is no Win7 entry in the grub2 menu. I currently can only boot to win7 if I press F12 immediately upon booting, to obtain the UEFI boot menu, and select from win7 there.

I note win7 does not show up when os-prober is run. In that case all I get is:
    Code:
    4770:/home/oldcpu # os-prober
      No volume groups found
    where nominally I think I should expect to see something under the "No volume groups found" entry. I'm wondering if my custom FAT32 as EFI hack caused this hiccup ?

I don't know enough about grub2 to fix this, so I will likely start a separate / new support thread on that subject. ... This is also definitely NOT a 'drama' as I rarely boot to windows. Rather its more a point of curiousity and also my wanting to learn.

On a different note, currently win7 refuses to recognize the mouse via my kvm switch. Instead I need to insert a mouse direct into one of the motherboard's USB ports to use win7. However the PC's firmware, when I enter it, recognizes the kvm mouse with no problem. gparted liveCD works ok with the kvm mouse. The openSUSE-13.1 liveUSB works ok with the kvm mouse.
    Further to this, openSUSE-13.1 works fine with the kvm mouse - and I note MS-Windows7 still does not work with the kvm mouse (and I need to plug in a separate mouse directly).

You need grub2-efi and secure boot flag set to boot to secure EFI but you can turn secure EFI off and that will not effect the boot at all. Same for Windows. ie in EFI mode-secure on the EFI BIOS requires that the OS certify the boot chain. But the OS does not require the BIOS to be in secure mode. Seem a little like a security hole to me but they don't pay me the big bucks

Blog Entries

But there is no Win7 entry in the grub2 menu. I currently can only boot to win7 if I press F12 immediately upon booting, to obtain the UEFI boot menu, and select from win7 there.

I note win7 does not show up when os-prober is run.
    It turns out changing this 'boot' flag (active flag) is what caused the problem. I had help in this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...EFI-GPT-system ... and based on the help, I rebooted to gparted liveCD, and I flagged the EFI (/dev/sdb1) as active (ie set the boot flag) and then rebooted to openSUSE. Then I ran os-prober and it detected the win7 EFI entries. I then ran the YaST > System > Boat loader, and saved the configuration, and that in turn updated grub2.

Now with the updated grub2 when I boot, in the openSUSE-13.1 grub2 is an entry for win7 which works (except for the win7 mouse functionality via kvm switch ... but that's a win7 problem)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011