Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    26

    Default Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    I need a download of the ISO of 12.1 but every time I download it from official OpenSuse servers and burn it and try to install it - it shows up as 12.2. I know it is an older version - the only reason I need it is to install it on a machine so I can test upgrade scenarios before I try it on my production server. Anyone know where I can actually get a 12.1 install?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    I know it is too old to be supported but shouldn't I, at my own peril, be able to get it? I have a DVD of it (somewhere)....I guess my next question would be would you feel comfortable going from 12.1 to 13.1? It is just a standard install (well as standard as any I guess could me) with phpmyadmin, mysql, samba. We did not go out and get any special repositories. This was the first one that we had in my organization and we contracted with an outside vendor to help. Now we have that one, and two production 12.2 servers and one production 13.1. I still am somewhat a greenhorn....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    On 2014-01-16 15:36, jpeteet wrote:
    >
    > I know it is too old to be supported but shouldn't I, at my own peril,
    > be able to get it? I have a DVD of it (somewhere)....I guess my next
    > question would be would you feel comfortable going from 12.1 to 13.1? It
    > is just a standard install (well as standard as any I guess could me)
    > with phpmyadmin, mysql, samba. We did not go out and get any special
    > repositories. This was the first one that we had in my organization and
    > we contracted with an outside vendor to help. Now we have that one, and
    > two production 12.2 servers and one production 13.1. I still am somewhat
    > a greenhorn....


    If you are testing upgrades, remember that a "zypper dup" of such a
    distance is not supported. A DVD boot, choose upgrade, I believe it is.

    I just did a 11.4 -> 13.1 upgrade recently.

    Online upgrade
    method

    Offline upgrade
    method


    Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes


    Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes


    openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes


    openSUSE 13.1 Release Notes




    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by jpeteet View Post
    I know it is too old to be supported but shouldn't I, at my own peril, be able to get it?
    Oh yes (and caf4926 gave you the link), but we like to warn because people do have the strangest ideas about using pre-historical versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeteet View Post
    I have a DVD of it (somewhere)....
    Then why do you ask for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeteet View Post
    I guess my next question would be would you feel comfortable going from 12.1 to 13.1? It is just a standard install (well as standard as any I guess could me) with phpmyadmin, mysql, samba. We did not go out and get any special repositories. This was the first one that we had in my organization and we contracted with an outside vendor to help. Now we have that one, and two production 12.2 servers and one production 13.1. I still am somewhat a greenhorn....
    First try a live version.

    I would recommend a new install. Of course while keeping the personal data of the users (and other application data). Which of course easiest done when you have a separate home partition. Nevertheless, you should make a good backup. And a backup of /etc so you can compare old configs with those on your new system.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Oh yes (and caf4926 gave you the link), but we like to warn because people do have the strangest ideas about using pre-historical versions.

    I have attempted to down load it on at least a dozen occasions but after downloading and burning I end up with, yet another, copy of 12.2. So this one will "really" be 12.1?

    Then why do you ask for it?

    I ask for it because I cannot find my DVD.

    First try a live version.

    I would recommend a new install. Of course while keeping the personal data of the users (and other application data). Which of course easiest done when you have a separate home partition. Nevertheless, you should make a good backup. And a backup of /etc so you can compare old configs with those on your new system.
    A new install is likely out of the question due to using the same machine after the upgrade that I currently am using. I only have one spare machine and it is not same spec as current production system - which will make my attempt to 'test upgrade' moot anyway.

    I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by jpeteet View Post
    A new install is likely out of the question due to using the same machine after the upgrade that I currently am using. I only have one spare machine and it is not same spec as current production system - which will make my attempt to 'test upgrade' moot anyway.

    I appreciate all your help and suggestions.
    I do not quite understand this. I assumed the existing hardware. My suggestion is to not try the Upgrade feature on one of the first screens of the install DVD. I assume your jump is to big for it to garantee much.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    So if it is too big - would I need to do an intermediate upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2, test everything, then try to bump up to 13.1?
    Thank you for taking to time to educate me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    You forgot 12.3 as intermediate step.

    But I do not understand your hesitation to install 13.1 directly (of course keeping all user/application.database data). It is realy not much more then "upgrading" (what ever that means). All software must be installed anew. Everything you installed in 12.1 will have newer versions in 13.1.

    I allways install anew. Even if it is the next openSUSE version. It is the chance to clean up things. Many do an upgrade when it is only one version difference, either online, or using the DVD image. But I would never try these methods going from 12.1 to 131.

    You may of course think different, but you seem to have some fear for an installation and I do not understand why.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Need download of OpenSUSE 12.1

    On 2014-01-16 20:36, jpeteet wrote:
    >
    > So if it is too big - would I need to do an intermediate upgrade from
    > 12.1 to 12.2, test everything, then try to bump up to 13.1?
    > Thank you for taking to time to educate me.


    Using "zypper dup" I would certainly go one version at a time.

    Using the DVD method, I would risk one step only, but making a full
    backup just in case.

    I posted a link to the known documentation on another post.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •