Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fix dependency/missing plugin for totem?

Default How to fix dependency/missing plugin for totem?

Hello List, Monitors!

My 12.3-32 and lxde is up to date, but a month or two ago I got rid of something that broke totem. I was warned by yast when I did that, but I though I could always reinstall totem. That wasn't the case!

Is there a procedure for fixing broken dependencies? I've tried looking at requirements for totem in yast but I haven't been able to appease it.

The reason I'm asking now is that I mostly use smplayer2, but a video link I tried to follow (http://vimeo.com/56534375) dumped these errors into dmesg:
    Code:
    frank[5476] sudo dmesg
    root's password:
    [ 1000.509230] totem-plugin-vi[1565]: segfault at 8 ip 0805b7c8 sp bfa31610 error 4 in totem-plugin-viewer[8048000+3b000]
    [ 1062.792447] totem-plugin-vi[1577]: segfault at 8 ip 0805b7c8 sp bff54140 error 4 in totem-plugin-viewer[8048000+3b000]
    frank[5476] which totem
    /usr/bin/totem
    frank[5477]
    If I attempt to invoke totem to play an mp4 file it responds with this:
    Totem could not startup. Some necessary plug-ins are missing. Make sure that the program is correctly installed.
    The totem rpms installed are:
    Code:
    frank[5477] rpm -qa | grep -i totem
    libtotem-plparser17-3.4.3-2.1.1.i586
    totem-plugins-3.6.3-2.5.1.i586
    totem-browser-plugin-3.6.3-2.5.1.i586
    libtotem-plparser-mini17-3.4.3-2.1.1.i586
    totem-browser-plugin-vegas-3.6.3-2.5.1.i586
    python-totem-2.32.0-18.1.1.i586
    nautilus-totem-3.6.3-2.5.1.i586
    totem-3.6.3-2.5.1.i586
    totem-browser-plugin-gmp-3.6.3-2.5.1.i586
    typelib-1_0-TotemPlParser-1_0-3.4.3-2.1.1.i586
    frank[5478]
    Is it an "easy get" to make totem work? Heboland.

Default Re: How to fix dependency/missing plugin for totem?

Did you try to reinstall totem using YaST?
    Henk van Velden

Try to call "Reset Ignored Dependency Conflicts" in the Extras menu in YaST.

You should get back that conflict dialog then which you ignored (you may have to call Dependencies->"Check now" as well) and will be able to correctly resolve it hopefully (if you're not sure, please post the exact message).

Thanks for the responses guys!

hcvv, yes I did reinstall totem back when I broke the dependencies a month or two ago. At the same time I scrolled thru the yast requirements for totem and installed some more related stuff that might now be superfluous.

wolfi323, thanks for the suggestion. For the record, I found the "Extra" tab in yast > SW management > Extras > Reset ignored dependency conflicts.

I'm happy to know about that feature, but nothing seemed to happen in this particular case. First I had SW management > search look for totem. With all the totem rpms shown, I selected the Ex tra > Reset ... Nothing happened. The SW management window closed.

Next I got the SW management window open again and without the totem search, I just did the Extra > Reset ... with the same result - window closed.

I tried to follow the link in the original post with firefox as before. The video hung on the first frame. This time nothing appeared in dmesg.

Trying to open the same mp4 file with totem as before, totem gives the same message as before: Totem could not startup. Some necessary plugins are messing...

I never got to see the "Check Now" message from the Extra > Reset... Did you mean for me to call Reset... from the command line rather than the yast gui?

Maybe my earlier shotgun approach plus yast > online updates had fixed the broken dependencies before I tried the Extra... If the problem remaining is just a missing plugin problem, if there a way to track down what's missing? Heboland.

Quote Originally Posted by heboland View Post
    I'm happy to know about that feature, but nothing seemed to happen in this particular case. First I had SW management > search look for totem. With all the totem rpms shown, I selected the Ex tra > Reset ... Nothing happened. The SW management window closed.
    That shouldn't happen. Apparently you are stumbling over a bug in YaST (the GTK version?)

And btw, it doesn't matter which packages you have selected when you select "Reset...". That applies to _all_ ignored conflicts.

Hm, try to uncheck "Autocheck" in the "Dependencies" menu, maybe it doesn't crash then?
    Or use the text mode version and call "Dependencies"->"Verify System now". (Run "sudo /sbin/yast" in a terminal window)

You could also run "sudo zypper ve" to verify all dependencies.

I never got to see the "Check Now" message from the Extra > Reset... Did you mean for me to call Reset... from the command line rather than the yast gui?
    No, I meant you should call "Check Now" in the "Dependencies" menu.

Thanks wolfi323!

Very good instructions.

Following your guidance I got this:

All package dependencies are OK.
    Zypper found something - I'll see if it will get me farther:
    Code:
    frank[5508] sudo zypper ve
    root's password:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    2 Problems:
    Problem: gstreamer-plugins-good-1.2.1-2.5.i586 requires gstreamer >= 1.2.0, but this requirement cannot be provided
    Problem: gstreamer-1.2.2-3.1.i586 requires libgstreamer-1_0-0 >= 1.2.2, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: gstreamer-plugins-good-1.2.1-2.5.i586 requires gstreamer >= 1.2.0, but this requirement cannot be provided
      uninstallable providers: gstreamer-1.2.2-3.1.i586[ftp.gwdg.de-suse]
     Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
      install gstreamer-1.2.2-3.1.i586 (with vendor change)
        openSUSE  -->  http://packman.links2linux.de
      install gstreamer-plugins-base-1.2.2-2.2.i586 (with vendor change)
     Solution 2: Following actions will be done:
      downgrade of gstreamer-plugins-good-1.2.1-2.5.i586 to gstreamer-plugins-good-1.0.5-2.1.5.i586
      install gstreamer-plugins-good-1.0.5-2.1.5.i586 (with vendor change)
        http://packman.links2linux.de  -->  openSUSE
     Solution 3: break gstreamer-plugins-good-1.2.1-2.5.i586 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/3/s/r/c] (c):
    I'll let you know how this come out! Heboland.

Zypper found something - I'll see if it will get me farther:
    Code:
    frank[5508] sudo zypper ve
    root's password:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    2 Problems:
    Problem: gstreamer-1.2.2-3.1.i586 requires libgstreamer-1_0-0 >= 1.2.2, but this requirement cannot be provided

uninstallable providers: gstreamer-1.2.2-3.1.i586[ftp.gwdg.de-suse]
     Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
      install gstreamer-1.2.2-3.1.i586 (with vendor change)
      install gstreamer-plugins-base-1.2.2-2.2.i586 (with vendor change)
     Solution 2: Following actions will be done:
      downgrade of gstreamer-plugins-good-1.2.1-2.5.i586 to gstreamer-plugins-good-1.0.5-2.1.5.i586
      install gstreamer-plugins-good-1.0.5-2.1.5.i586 (with vendor change)
        http://packman.links2linux.de  -->  openSUSE
     Solution 3: break gstreamer-plugins-good-1.2.1-2.5.i586 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/3/s/r/c] (c):
    I would suggest Solution 1, switch to the Packman version in all cases.

Thanks wolfi323!

I did take solution 1. zypper installed some gstreamer rpms and finished the operation with no problems. Later I did an online update and one of the gstreamer rpms got updated.

The yast > SW management > Dependencies > Check now still shows dependencies are OK.

The link in my first post on this thread does play now, but it's BW requirements are too large for my online connection.

This is off topic, but I tried to download that video with youtube-dl and cclive. Neither app would work with that link. The website has a download button. Nothing happened when I tried it, but maybe membership is required. I can live without that download, but if there's another app that would download it, I would like to experiment farther.

Still after fixing the dependencies and updating gstreamer, totem still gives me the missing plugin message if I try to open an mp4 file with it. totem can't find this plugin if I let it search for it. yast doesn't find a missing plugin either.

smplayer2 opens an mp4 file very well, so I don't need totem's missing plugin.

Except for the suggestion of an app to capture the video from the link http://vimeo.com/56534375

I think this thread is closed. I learned a lot about fixing dependencies from you and I thank you again for it! Heboland.

Still after fixing the dependencies and updating gstreamer, totem still gives me the missing plugin message if I try to open an mp4 file with it. totem can't find this plugin if I let it search for it. yast doesn't find a missing plugin either.
    AFAIK you need gstreamer-plugins-libav to play back mp4s. That's available on Packman, just install it with YaST.

And yes, the automatic plugins installer has problems, it doesn't work if a plugin is found twice in different versions f.e. I think.

Thanks again wolfi323!

I just checked and gstreamer-plugins-libav was already installed. lxde uses mostly gnome environment applications, but in some cases only the part of the app used is installed.

A case in point is the DVD burner app. lxde uses a part nautilus for this, but the nautilus parent is never exposed. lxde uses pcmanfm for it's file manager.

Since I don't need totem to open mp4 files, I'm OK with letting missing totem plugin ID drop! Heboland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast