Thread: Unable to login via VNC with any other account than root

Hybrid View

Default Unable to login via VNC with any other account than root

Hello everybody,

I'm new to openSUSE but I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm just having a small issue with the VNC service. I set up VNC through YaST under Remote Administration. I connect to the server using port 5901 and I get access to the login screen. However, I can only access the desktop if I login with the root account. If I use any other account, it loads for a second and then just shows me the login manager's background and it hangs there. I tried to change the user in xinetd but not luck.

Anybody got a clue?

Thanks,

Simon

Default Re: Unable to login via VNC with any other account than root

Quote Originally Posted by SimonPalmieri View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm new to openSUSE but I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm just having a small issue with the VNC service. I set up VNC through YaST under Remote Administration. I connect to the server using port 5901 and I get access to the login screen. However, I can only access the desktop if I login with the root account. If I use any other account, it loads for a second and then just shows me the login manager's background and it hangs there. I tried to change the user in xinetd but not luck.
    Is this about KDE?
    There is a permission issue in Qt4 regarding VNC, see https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=807781.
    A workaround would be to set the environment variable QT_X11_NO_MITSHM to 1.
    Add this to /etc/environment f.e.:
    Code:
    QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1
    Or setting Qt's default graphics system to "native" (default is "raster") should help as well:
    Code:
    QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native