Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i resolve error "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)"

Unhappy how do i resolve error "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)"

hi all , i am new in opensuse and i installed version 12.3 and i downloaded VirtualBox 4.3.6 from below link:

when i run my guest it returend me below error:
    Code:
    Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
    and it want to me i run this command as root:
    Code:
    '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

so when i ran above command it return me below result:

Code:
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                            done
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                         failed
      (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
    when i run command
    Code:
     cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
    my result is:

Code:
    Makefile:186: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
    make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.2 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.2 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /usr/src/linux modules
    test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (\
    echo >&2;                                                       \
    echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";           \
    echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
    echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";       \
    echo >&2 ;                                                      \
    /bin/false)

ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.
             include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.
             Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.

mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.2/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.2/.tmp_versions/*

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.24/Module.symvers
               is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.2
    /tmp/vbox.2/Makefile:186: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.2/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.7/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.24/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.24/arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.24/include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.24/include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fomit-frame-pointer -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -include /tmp/vbox.2/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/tmp/vbox.2/ -I/tmp/vbox.2/include -I/tmp/vbox.2/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.2/vboxdrv/ -I/tmp/vbox.2/vboxdrv/include -I/tmp/vbox.2/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -Wno-declaration-after-statement -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.2/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.2/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
    /tmp/vbox.2/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:1:0: error: code model ‘kernel’ not supported in the 32 bit mode
    /tmp/vbox.2/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:1:0: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.2/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.2] Error 2
    make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2
    how do i solve it?! thanks for your help .... i love opensuse
    Last edited by admirall0025; 12-Jan-2014 at 11:14. Reason: edit

Default Re: how do i resolve error "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)"

Any reason why you did not install the package from the OSS repo? That should of course work out of the box.
    Henk van Velden

@hccv
    thanks!
    do i install anything more or new???

I do not know if that is an answer to my question????

In any case, when I interprete your question "do i install anything more or new???", and when I understand your statement "i am new in opensuse and i installed version 12.3" as meaning that you installed 12.3 just a few days ago, I could answer: Why did you install 12.3 instead of 13.1?
    Henk van Velden

You need to install "kernel-desktop-devel" and maybe "kernel-syms". Run this afterwards and it should work:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    If you do want to use the openSUSE packages, uninstall Oracle's "VirtualBox" package first, then install virtualbox, virtualbox-kmp-host-desktop and virtualbox-qt.
    Btw, newer packages (4.2.20) than shipped with 12.3 (4.2.6) are available, just enter YaST->Software Repositories, select "Add"->"Community Repositories" and enable the Virtualization repo first.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Any reason why you did not install the package from the OSS repo? That should of course work out of the box.
    Just curious - are the "guest additions" available anywhere for the version in the OSS repo? I've never been able to find it, that's why I use the one from Oracle. I need USB access, from what I understand, the guest additions provide that. Works fine on openSuse 12.3 by the way.
    Desktop : Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.2 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    Just curious - are the "guest additions" available anywhere for the version in the OSS repo? I've never been able to find it, that's why I use the one from Oracle. I need USB access, from what I understand, the guest additions provide that. Works fine on openSuse 12.3 by the way.
    You mean the Extension Pack.
    Yes, you can use the same one from the virtualbox homepage with the openSUSE version.
    But USB1.x does work without it, the Extension Pack only provides additional USB2 support:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    Support for USB 2.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel cards.
    Please note that for working USB support with the openSUSE packages you have to copy the file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and then remove some comments there. This is not enabled by default because of security concerns.

@wolfi323

thanks alot for your reply....

i installed two packeage and it is outpout of it:
    Code:
    sudo zypper install kernel-desktop-devel
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'kernel-desktop-devel' is already installed.
    No update candidate for 'kernel-desktop-devel-3.7.10-1.24.1.i686'. The highest available version is already installed.
    Resolving package dependencies...
    Nothing to do.
    and
    Code:
    Loading repository data...
    'kernel-syms' is already installed.
    No update candidate for 'kernel-syms-3.7.10-1.24.1.i586'. The highest available version is already installed.

Nothing to do.
    and run command
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    but that error returned to me:
    Code:
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                            done
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                         failed
      (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
    so has any different between i586 or i686?!? have 2 package of kernel-desktop-devel and kernel-syms diffrent architech.?

Quote Originally Posted by admirall0025 View Post
    so has any different between i586 or i686?!? have 2 package of kernel-desktop-devel and kernel-syms diffrent architech.?
    Most of the packages are available as i586 only, but some have a i686 version as well (like the kernel and glibc, but _not_ kernel-syms), which might have better performance on non-i586 CPU's, i.e. everything since the Pentium Pro.

Anyway, those packages were apparently already installed.

Maybe you need "kernel-source" then as well?

If installing that alone does not help, try to do as the message tells you:

kernel-source is installed

Code:
    'kernel-source' is already installed.
    No update candidate for 'kernel-source-3.7.10-1.24.1.noarch'. The highest available version is already installed.
    after run below command:
    Code:

'make oldconfig && make prepare'
    it return me:
    Code:
    make: *** No rule to make target `oldconfig'.  Stop.
    where is "kernel src"?!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast