Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is this a bug in mount?

  1. #1

    Default Is this a bug in mount?

    Hi
    I have these two entries in fstab:

    /dev/sdb1 /mount/usbdisk vfat user,rw,noauto 0 0
    REMUSER@IP:. /LOCALUSER/mcfiles fuse.sshfs users,allow_other,reconnect,follow_symlinks,rw,noauto, _netdev,idmap=user,uid=1000,gid=100,IdentityFile=/LOCALUSER/.ssh/id_rsa,ServerAliveInterval=60 0 0

    I want to mount these devices by hand upon necessity. For the first entry, I can mount and umount as a normal user with
    mount /dev/sdb1 and also with mount /mount/usbdisk
    However for the second entry, I can only mount with mount /LOCALUSER/mcfiles
    If I issue mount /REMUSER@IP:. I get the answer "No such file or directory"
    According to the man page for mount, this is an error, since the mount command admits either the source device or the target
    and in both cases it just reads the associated line in /etc/fstab
    Issuing mount --source REMUSER@IP:.
    does not help either.
    This problem did not exist in OpenSuSE 12.2, it shows up after I upgraded to 13.1 via zypper dup.
    Should I file up a bug? Where?
    Thanks,
    MNatiello

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    On 2014-01-12 12:46, mnatiello wrote:
    >
    > Hi
    > I have these two entries in fstab:


    Wait.

    Please use code tags for printouts and commands (the '#' button in the
    forum editor).

    View this post and the next



    As it is, the text below is barely readable. I'll try to rebuild it.

    Code:
    
    > /dev/sdb1          /mount/usbdisk       vfat            user,rw,noauto  0 0
    > REMUSER@IP:.      /LOCALUSER/mcfiles fuse.sshfs users,allow_other,reconnect,follow_symlinks,rw,noauto, _netdev,idmap=user,uid=1000,gid=100,IdentityFile=/LOCALUSER/.ssh/id_rsa,ServerAliveInterval=60 0 0

    > I want to mount these devices by hand upon necessity. For the first
    > entry, I can mount and umount as a normal user with
    > mount /dev/sdb1 and also with mount /mount/usbdisk


    Right.

    > However for the second entry, I can only mount with mount
    > /LOCALUSER/mcfiles
    > If I issue mount /REMUSER@IP:. I get the answer "No such file or
    > directory"


    Then don't :-)

    > According to the man page for mount, this is an error, since the mount
    > command admits either the source device or the target
    > and in both cases it just reads the associated line in /etc/fstab
    > Issuing mount --source REMUSER@IP:.
    > does not help either.
    > This problem did not exist in OpenSuSE 12.2, it shows up after I
    > upgraded to 13.1 via zypper dup.
    > Should I file up a bug? Where?
    > Thanks,


    Here, please:

    openSUSE:Submitting bug
    reports




    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,777

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiello View Post
    Hi
    I have these two entries in fstab:

    /dev/sdb1 /mount/usbdisk vfat user,rw,noauto 0 0
    REMUSER@IP:. /LOCALUSER/mcfiles fuse.sshfs users,allow_other,reconnect,follow_symlinks,rw,noauto, _netdev,idmap=user,uid=1000,gid=100,IdentityFile=/LOCALUSER/.ssh/id_rsa,ServerAliveInterval=60 0 0

    I want to mount these devices by hand upon necessity. For the first entry, I can mount and umount as a normal user with
    mount /dev/sdb1 and also with mount /mount/usbdisk
    However for the second entry, I can only mount with mount /LOCALUSER/mcfiles
    If I issue mount /REMUSER@IP:. I get the answer "No such file or directory"
    According to the man page for mount, this is an error, since the mount command admits either the source device or the target
    and in both cases it just reads the associated line in /etc/fstab
    Issuing mount --source REMUSER@IP:.
    does not help either.
    This problem did not exist in OpenSuSE 12.2, it shows up after I upgraded to 13.1 via zypper dup.
    Should I file up a bug? Where?
    Thanks,
    MNatiello
    As the source field in your entry is REMUSER@IP:. and you type /REMUSER@IP:. these two are different. Thus what do you expect?

    BTW, can you please copy/paste those computer texts between CODE tags (use the# button in the tool bar of the post editor)? As they show above white space can hardly be read correctly.
    And please do not write things like " I get the answer "No such file or directory"", but post the prompt, the command the output and the next prompt here (between the CODE tags). Thus we can see ourselves what you ddo and what you get. We are very suspicious and we are non-believers. Not what you tell, but what the computer tells is important.
    Last edited by hcvv; 12-Jan-2014 at 06:30.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    As the source field in your entry is REMUSER@IP:. and you type /REMUSER@IP:. these two are different. Thus what do you expect?
    Just a typo. I issue the correct command, see below.

    BTW, can you please copy/paste those computer texts between CODE tags (use the# button in the tool bar of the post editor)? As they show above white space can hardly be read correctly.
    And please do not write things like " I get the answer "No such file or directory"", but post the prompt, the command the output and the next prompt here (between the CODE tags). Thus we can see ourselves what you ddo and what you get. We are very suspicious and we are non-believers. Not what you tell, but what the computer tells is important.
    OK, non-believer.
    excerpt of fstab
    Code:
    /dev/sdb1         /mount/usbdisk       vfat            user,rw,noauto  0 0
    remuser@IP:. /localuser/target fuse.sshfs         users,allow_other,reconnect,follow_symlinks,rw, noauto,_netdev,idmap=user,uid=1000,gid=100,IdentityFile=/localuser/.ssh/id_rsa,ServerAliveInterval=60 0 0
    output for different mount commands (no output means properly mounted):
    Code:
    > mount /dev/sdb1
    > mount /mount/usbdisk
    > mount /localuser/target
    > mount remuser@IP:. 
    mount: remuser@IP:.: No such file or directory
    > mount --source remuser@IP:. 
    mount: remuser@IP:.: No such file or directory
    i.e. the three first commands result in a properly mounted file system, while 4 and 5 fail.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,777

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    I never ued fuser, nor the sshfs part of it. But glancing through the man pages, I get the idea that you should use fusermount and not mount. Did you check that?
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I never ued fuser, nor the sshfs part of it. But glancing through the man pages, I get the idea that you should use fusermount and not mount. Did you check that?
    Yes, I could use fusermount. But it feels like a workaround: mount does support fuse.sshfs
    A supporting argument is that I can mount the device when addressing it by target (mount /localuser/target)
    Shouldn't I file a bug for mount?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,777

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiello View Post
    Yes, I could use fusermount. But it feels like a workaround: mount does support fuse.sshfs
    A supporting argument is that I can mount the device when addressing it by target (mount /localuser/target)
    Shouldn't I file a bug for mount?
    When you want to file a bug report, you should first prove that the contruct as used by you for the first parameter in /etc/fstab (the fs_spec) may be configured he way you do. I can not find this in the man page. So you must either prove that I did not read the man page for fstab correctly, or come with additional documentation.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you want to file a bug report, you should first prove that the contruct as used by you for the first parameter in /etc/fstab (the fs_spec) may be configured he way you do. I can not find this in the man page. So you must either prove that I did not read the man page for fstab correctly, or come with additional documentation.
    I'm just asking. Should I blame mount, a syntax error from my side or something else?
    This issue appeared for me in OpenSuSE 13.1 Until last friday I was happy doing mount by device in 12.2
    with remote devices of type fuse.sshfs. This is explicitly supported by mount, according to the man page (see
    second paragraph of option -t, --types). Also, fstab's man page admits <host>:<dir> as fs_spec. For fuse.sshfs the
    syntax is [user@]host:[dir] (this can be found in the man page for sshfs). This syntax was functioning properly in fstab
    in 12.2. Now it doesn't. Ijust want to understand why this useful feature of mount has ceased to work.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    On 2014-01-12 18:36, mnatiello wrote:

    > Shouldn't I file a bug for mount?


    IMO, yes.

    They are surely better than you and me in figuring that out.

    If your syntax is not valid or you are in error, they will tell you.
    In that case, then you may point out to them that the man page is
    confusing in your opinion.

    (this is not just my opinion: somebody from the SUSE staff
    told me just that once)

    Just be ready to wait for some months or years. No kidding, they are
    pretty busy, I guess :-)

    Just tell in your bug that this worked previously and now it doesn't
    (for me that's reason enough to report). Write your fstab line clearly,
    and the mount commands you use, complete as here. Better use "mount -v
    ....". If there are entries in the syslog as you try, add them, too.

    It is better to add all available info right at the first report.
    Sometimes they answer many months later asking for more info, which at
    that moment I no longer have, can not obtain, or I have forgotten how to
    obtain, or the machine has been reformatted with something else...


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,777

    Default Re: Is this a bug in mount?

    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiello View Post
    I'm just asking. Should I blame mount, a syntax error from my side or something else?
    This issue appeared for me in OpenSuSE 13.1 Until last friday I was happy doing mount by device in 12.2
    with remote devices of type fuse.sshfs. This is explicitly supported by mount, according to the man page (see
    second paragraph of option -t, --types). Also, fstab's man page admits <host>:<dir> as fs_spec. For fuse.sshfs the
    syntax is [user@]host:[dir] (this can be found in the man page for sshfs). This syntax was functioning properly in fstab
    in 12.2. Now it doesn't. Ijust want to understand why this useful feature of mount has ceased to work.
    There is a lot of information here you did not provide earlier.
    But IMHO when the syntax (in /etc/fstab) functioned in 12.2, but it does not any more in 13.1, that is a clear case for a bug.

    But please, when you file a bug, do provide all information. Do not leave out things, or alter in your configs, etc. People are not clairvoyant, not we and certainly not the devs.. And when you cheat (or make typos instead of using copy/paste) they will leave your case very soon.
    Henk van Velden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •