Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [13.1][KDE] Bizarre display issues on boot (sometimes)

Question [13.1][KDE] Bizarre display issues on boot (sometimes)

20s to 30s will give you the idea. Fan is not from the laptop lol. 'tis a 7970 ejector fan at 80% 4000 rpms or something.

Expertise: Linux amateur (at least in terms of the guts and conf files)
    Given the nature of the problem, search engine results are heard to come by.
    What's happening is that the OS goes through GRUB, begins booting successfully, then one of two things happen:
    The screen goes dark, then flickers and KDE comes to life and logs in, succesful (ish) boot.
    Or...it gets past GRUB, and unless I select recovery mode (nomodeset) I am treated to a completely non response (no console) psychedelic lightshow, and am forced to hard off, and try again until I boot succesfully.

This is a nicely 'lived in' install, lot
    Some key background information is that I originally installed this installation as OpenSUSE 12.3 on a different system. That system's mobo died so I threw the SSD into another laptop. From Nvidia 8200M to ATI Radeon HD3100. Linux works when win don't, hurray. But, see the youtube video.

What debug logs should I be checking and where are they? Verbose boot just warns me that ata softresets are failing (while successful) and that [failed]samba isn't starting.

I think maybe I need to just rip out X and reinstall it. I tried removing some Nvidia packages, a Mesa package etc and re-installing Radeon. Also there was an abortive catalyst legacy install at some point. (after the problem).

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Default Re: [13.1][KDE] Bizarre display issues on boot (sometimes)

When exactly the same way of booting results in different things randomly, IMHO it is a hardware problem.
    Henk van Velden

I believe there is an issue with Toshiba laptops and linux VGA. I don't remember exactly what was used to fix the issue, but it was something like "nomodeset" or "acpi=off" added to the kernel command line at boot.

Thank's for the insight hcvv.

Ty Buddlespit - yeah I think nomodeset boots correctly everytime (that's why recovery mode works). I stuck it in my main boot entry, but of course now my display resolution is defaulted. Is there a way to work around this? Like set a mode post-boot?

A while ago I think I did read a thread on boot issues. No mention of the lightshow though. ACPI-off did nothing last time I tried it. Will give it a shot though. Give standby issues I might want to have that switch there anyway.

Aszyver wrote:

>
    > Thank's for the insight hcvv.
    >
    > Ty Buddlespit - yeah I think nomodeset boots correctly

everytime (that's
    > why recovery mode works). I stuck it in my main boot

entry, but of
    > course now my display resolution is defaulted. Is

there a way to work
    > around this? Like set a mode post-boot?
    >
    > A while ago I think I did read a thread on boot

issues. No mention of
    > the lightshow though. ACPI-off did nothing last time I

tried it. Will
    > give it a shot though. Give standby issues I might

want to have that
    > switch there anyway.
    >

Are you using Grub2? If so as soon as you get the first
    window (where you select normal boot or recovery, hit
    the e-key as soon as it stops for a second for you to
    make selection. This will bring up an edit menu for the
    default boot selection. You can add the nomodeset to the
    Linux line there.

This is only for the current boot, after that go to the
    boot loader or and editor to modify the
    /boot/grub2/grub.cfg menu.
    CODE:

--
    openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop x86_64|
    Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|
    GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20)|KDE 4.12.0

I already know all about nomodeset - it does what it does but I'd hardly call working in 1024x768 a solution.
    It's also not technically a "hardware issue" because other software doesn't have the problem. Once I locate my USB stick I'll boot into portable stock 13.1 and see if has the issue.

I'd hate to have to switch distros :/ or to windaz.

nomodeset is really not a good solution but it is a great way to get running then find a proper driver.

Thanks, sorry all if my tone is a little ungrateful or annoyed

So, I should be spending my time trying to find a proper driver for the ATI GPU, like toy around with installing official legacy and stuff?
    or is is the monitor?
    Should I be looking for another type of driver, like the chipset, or a more abstract idea like 'system' drivers?

Any advice on where to 'look' or what specifically to do? I'm familiar with installing packages, but I don't know off by heart how to clean a video driver installation by deleting certain conf files or conf files pertaining to x, and I've only been using linux for 5 years and mostly as a typical student user.
    In fact I switched to OpenSUSE hoping that Novell client programs would work better than the luck I'd been having on Ubuntu [version: >2012 Shiggy Diggy Dog I think]

Well if the drive was set up for NVIDIA it has the wrong driver maybe???

I use NVIDiA cards so I can't say if ATI 3100 is old or not. ATI does tend to drop older card support faster then NVIDIA

If you have the NVIDIA driver installed you need to get rid of it. It is possible that the open source radeon driver would be fine.

ie we don't know what you had installed or not installed. Only you know and can tell us

But first you need to get to a boot so use nomodeset to get a working machine then we can go from there,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aszyver View Post
    What's happening is that the OS goes through GRUB, begins booting successfully, then one of two things happen:
    The screen goes dark, then flickers and KDE comes to life and logs in, succesful (ish) boot.
    Or...it gets past GRUB, and unless I select recovery mode (nomodeset) I am treated to a completely non response (no console) psychedelic lightshow, and am forced to hard off, and try again until I boot succesfully.
    Have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors. If you don't have a working desktop, you can switch to a console eg CTRL-ALT-F3 and copy the log file to your home directory. Reboot in fail-safe mode and then you can examine the (copied) file in a graphical environment.

Some key background information is that I originally installed this installation as OpenSUSE 12.3 on a different system. That system's mobo died so I threw the SSD into another laptop. From Nvidia 8200M to ATI Radeon HD3100. Linux works when win don't, hurray. But, see the youtube video.

What debug logs should I be checking and where are they? Verbose boot just warns me that ata softresets are failing (while successful) and that [failed]samba isn't starting.

I think maybe I need to just rip out X and reinstall it. I tried removing some Nvidia packages, a Mesa package etc and re-installing Radeon. Also there was an abortive catalyst legacy install at some point. (after the problem).

Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Given this info, maybe the proprietary drivers have left Xorg partially crippled. (I know that they use their own openGL libraries, so maybe that is the problem.)
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 16-Jan-2014 at 22:58.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast