How do I increase the size of / (root) folder and decrease size of "/home"?

I have an install of openSUSE setup but the root folder is running out of room (chose the default install options) but home has plenty. How do I increase the size of the root folder by taking some from home?

For anyone wondering, I found it (and it is a much worse user experience than previously. you have to work to get there and you have to view each individually):

Device Information -> Device Viewer - > Storage Drives -> Hard Disk Drive

Under that, it lists “sda”, “sda1”, etc. Click on each of those and it tells you.

This is an awful design choice. I can’t even see which is “/home” or root until I click on it.

On 2014-01-10 00:26, 6tr6tr wrote:
>
> I have an install of openSUSE setup but the root folder is running out
> of room (chose the default install options) but home has plenty. How do
> I increase the size of the root folder by taking some from home?

To give an accurate answer you have to post here your exact partition
table. Please use “fdisk -l” and “blkid”. Paste it inside a code tags
section.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I guess you mean to change the size of file systems that are mounted on / and /home.

Maybe you should ask yourself (and eventualy ask here for help with that) why your / file system is getting full. When you say you took the default on installation (but you do not tell what it is), it should be sufficient. Mine e.g.

henk@boven:~> LANG=C df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5        20G  5.4G   14G  29% /
henk@boven:~>

is 20 GB and only one third in use.

It may use more space when you install more packages, but before you reach 20 GB, you realy have a lot to install :wink:

Thus looking at log files that grow to much and curing that, might be a more rewarding solution then increasing the size of the / file system and then having it full next month again.