Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackscreen after splash screen

Default Blackscreen after splash screen

Hi, having issues with a fresh install of OpenSUSE 13.1, my motherboard is an Intel D850EMV2, 780megs of RAM, 40gig drive, Gateway 15 inch monitor, an ATI 8500LE video card, USB mouse. Intel 3.06HT cpu

Everything seems fine until the final splash screen comes up and then it drops to a black background. The boot options are visible when it first loads and I haven't tried any options as yet, waiting to get some suggestions. I was only wanting to get some experience with REDHAT on this machine and there is nothing on it to loose so I have time to figure this out with some help. I have had other older Linux distros running on the same video card in 05 and motherboard so I haven't a clue what made the install balk. I used a Live CD 32bit 13.1 downloaded last evening.

Thanks

Default Re: Blackscreen after splash screen

Probably the video.

Does it boot to safe mode?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Probably the video.

Does it boot to safe mode?
    Thanks for the reply and your time, I stepped back to an earlier version I had downloaded years ago, and it installed well on this machine without any problems. I just have a few minor things to sort like which audio to use. I have OpenSUSE 10.1 running with gnome.

Thank you

10.1 is totally out of support. No bug patch or other fixes are available.

Blog Entries

I note AMD graphics. You could try disabling plymouth, as some users with AMD hardware find that is necessary when they have symptoms such as your PC exhibited.

no Plymouth on 10.1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    no Plymouth on 10.1
    Indeed. And the user went to 10.1 and has it working. It did not work on 13.1 (where 13.1 has plymouth).

Cool Re: Blackscreen after splash screen

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Indeed. And the user went to 10.1 and has it working. It did not work on 13.1 (where 13.1 has plymouth).
    I also tried Fedora which did exactly the same thing, no desktop after the install and opening splash screens, I changed video cards to an NVidia 4000 series with more memory and even this card made no difference what so ever in the OpenSUSE 13.1 install. It does install fine, maybe a bit slower due to resources but it does install. Same thing with Fedora recent release, it just mirrors what I see on OpenSUSE 13.1 just different splash screen. Same installer no doubt. What is the usual procedure to fix this when I boot into OpenSUSE 13.1.

This machine I am installing to has nothing but blank space and no harm can be done, I'm sure the problem can be corrected with the right information.

Did you try a boot to safe mode/ select advanced I think it should be second line down

Another option i to temp modify boot line. Press 3 at grub menu find line starting with linux go all the way to end of that line (press end key) enter a space then nomodeset press f10 to continue boot. This will force use of a lesser and perhaps more compatible video driver

If either the above works then come back and we can lead you to a more permanent fix.

Quote Originally Posted by materene View Post
    I also tried Fedora which did exactly the same thing, no desktop after the install and opening splash screens, I changed video cards to an NVidia 4000 series with more memory and even this card made no difference what so ever in the OpenSUSE 13.1 install.
    Yes, with the nVidia card in it, you would get this result at first boot. You need to use the failsafe options to boot into OpenSUSE 13.1 and X, then install the correct nVidia driver from the repositories. Make sure you match the driver to the card series.

-fb
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast