Backup speed comparison

Just for curiosity.

I’m doing a full backup of my laptop, using a dd image of all the partitions, plus an rsync backup
of the home and root partitions. The destination hard disk is connected via usb, so there is a speed
limit of about 30 MB/s

The system is doing nothing except this, as I’m running the xfce rescue image from a usb stick.

Home takes 146 minutes to dd, and over 202 minutes to rsync. And for rsync I skip the leafnode nntp
database, a directory holding over 82000 small files; it would take way longer if I had not skipped
that directory.

(The entire 500 GB HD took 4.4897 hours to dd - over usb)

So, there is a large speed advantage to using dd :slight_smile:

In theory, there is a speed advantage using rsync if it is a second attempt, because many files are
the same and thus not copied again. But, as I’m using “–checksum”, that advantage is lost. It is
the first backup copy, anyway, so the checksum calculation is not done now.

(I do a second run of the rsync to make sure the copy is entirely correct, via that checksum).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Elessar))

Hello!
I do backup on my gigabyte network here. Its ca 72.6 Meters between my client and the server. “Green HD’s” at low rmp. Small files it is between 27-47 and large files 62-87 Mbyte/sec. I’m satisfied.

Regards.

I use clonezilla and seem to have much better times than that backing up 3 or 4 OS from one 500 GB HD with more than 30 GB.

On 2014-01-09 22:06, sammiev wrote:
>
> I use clonezilla and seem to have much better times than that backing up
> 3 or 4 OS from one 500 GB HD with more than 30 GB.

Clonezilla tries to be clever skipping empty sectors, so it is faster. I
do not want that, I want really full image backup.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Over network? Please I’m Interested.

Regards.

No not over a network but I can backup my full HD about 50+ GB in 30 min. I backup to a USB HD.

I’m backup a 1.4TB over the network. Time? It is not the best case but it is working. Using rsync and back in time (1.0.28.) and reported as a bug of Opensuse. No acceptance of the dist says the Bugzilla,

Me? I manage!
Regards…