Thread: Backup speed comparison

Default Backup speed comparison

Just for curiosity.

I'm doing a full backup of my laptop, using a dd image of all the partitions, plus an rsync backup
    of the home and root partitions. The destination hard disk is connected via usb, so there is a speed
    limit of about 30 MB/s

The system is doing nothing except this, as I'm running the xfce rescue image from a usb stick.

Home takes 146 minutes to dd, and over 202 minutes to rsync. And for rsync I skip the leafnode nntp
    database, a directory holding over 82000 small files; it would take way longer if I had not skipped
    that directory.

(The entire 500 GB HD took 4.4897 hours to dd - over usb)

So, there is a large speed advantage to using dd :-)

In theory, there is a speed advantage using rsync if it is a second attempt, because many files are
    the same and thus not copied again. But, as I'm using "--checksum", that advantage is lost. It is
    the first backup copy, anyway, so the checksum calculation is not done now.

(I do a second run of the rsync to make sure the copy is entirely correct, via that checksum).

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

Default Re: Backup speed comparison

Hello!
    I do backup on my gigabyte network here. Its ca 72.6 Meters between my client and the server. "Green HD's" at low rmp. Small files it is between 27-47 and large files 62-87 Mbyte/sec. I'm satisfied.

Regards.
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

I use clonezilla and seem to have much better times than that backing up 3 or 4 OS from one 500 GB HD with more than 30 GB.

On 2014-01-09 22:06, sammiev wrote:
    >
    > I use clonezilla and seem to have much better times than that backing up
    > 3 or 4 OS from one 500 GB HD with more than 30 GB.

Clonezilla tries to be clever skipping empty sectors, so it is faster. I
    do not want that, I want really full image backup.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I use clonezilla and seem to have much better times than that backing up 3 or 4 OS from one 500 GB HD with more than 30 GB.
    Over network? Please I’m Interested.

Regards.
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    Over network? Please I’m Interested.

Regards.
    No not over a network but I can backup my full HD about 50+ GB in 30 min. I backup to a USB HD.

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    No not over a network but I can backup my full HD about 50+ GB in 30 min. I backup to a USB HD.
    I'm backup a 1.4TB over the network. Time? It is not the best case but it is working. Using rsync and back in time (1.0.28.) and reported as a bug of Opensuse. No acceptance of the dist says the Bugzilla,

Me? I manage!
    Regards..