Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

  1. #1

    Default Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Hello,

    I was using OpenSUSE 13.1 from the day it was launched in my laptop Dell Studio XPS 1645. Suddenly, it was powered down. After reboot, I found graphical login screen is not coming. Even I could not get into CTRL+ALT+F1/F2.. etc. I could not reboot using CTRL_ALT_DEL. I had to press power button continuously. The laptop has dual boot using GRUB to (I) Windows 7 Pro and (II) OpenSUSE13.1. Dell hardware Doctor service reports no problem in Win7. During booting, if I press <ESCAPE> key then it comes to text mode and I can boot into text mode as usual. I could not start XDM.

    Since login screen is not appearing, I think it is not part of user screensaver, KDE/XFCE mode, battery mode etc setting. Can anyone suggest any handle?

    Thanks and Regs
    Abhijit

  2. #2

    Default Re: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by vegaonline View Post
    Since login screen is not appearing, I think it is not part of user screensaver, KDE/XFCE mode, battery mode etc setting. Can anyone suggest any handle?
    Maybe you installed updates when it crashed? So now you would have an inconsistent set of packages installed.
    Try to run "sudo zypper up" if you can connect to the internet in text mode, to finish the update.

    Can you start the login screen manually?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start xdm.service
    What does this say?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status xdm.service
    Any errors in /var/log/kdm.log?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    491

    Question Re: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Maybe you installed updates when it crashed? So now you would have an inconsistent set of packages installed.
    Try to run "sudo zypper up" if you can connect to the internet in text mode, to finish the update.

    Can you start the login screen manually?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start xdm.service
    What does this say?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status xdm.service
    Any errors in /var/log/kdm.log?
    Hi there. Do NOT have the same issue, in fact I didn't know that I had a problem until... I tried the last command mentioned above. Also, I am on a 12.3 system. I ran the systemctl status command on my machine and I got complaints.
    Code:
    > sudo systemctl status xdm.service
    xdm.service - LSB: X Display Manager
              Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/xdm)
              Active: active (running) since Fri, 2014-01-03 03:20:06 MST; 2 days ago
             Process: 648 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/xdm start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
              CGroup: name=systemd:/system/xdm.service
                      ├ 675 /usr/bin/kdm
                      └ 690 /usr/bin/Xorg -br :0 vt7 -nolisten tcp -auth /var/lib/kdm/AuthFiles/A:0-4bXsab
    
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of section [General] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of section [Xdmcp] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of section [X-*-Core] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of section [X-*-Greeter] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of key 'Language' in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of key 'ShowUsers' in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of key 'UseBackground' in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
    Jan 03 03:20:06 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_config[676]: Multiple occurrences of key 'UseTheme' in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
    Jan 03 03:20:14 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm_greet[1842]: Cannot load /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/faces/.default.face: No such file or directory
    Jan 03 08:02:54 dusty-tr2.TRComputing kdm[1841]: :0[1841]: pam_unix(xdm:session): session opened for user ctaylor by (uid=0)
    Now then this would be nice ... IF ... the errors were true. I examined the kdmrc file and I do NOT have those duplicates. Anyone with any ideas as to how I got that report?? No, I have not had any problems. Just reading the forum and trying things that I haven't used ... yet.

    Thanks and Happy New Year to all,
    Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

  4. #4

    Default Re: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Maybe you installed updates when it crashed? So now you would have an inconsistent set of packages installed.
    Try to run "sudo zypper up" if you can connect to the internet in text mode, to finish the update.

    Can you start the login screen manually?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start xdm.service
    What does this say?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status xdm.service
    Any errors in /var/log/kdm.log?
    I tried with your advices. The "zipper" reported "Nothing to do".
    Code:
    sudo zypper up
    Nothing to do
    The entry
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start xdm.service
    completed without any message.

    Then the entry
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status xdm.service
    
    xdm.service - LSB: X Display Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/xdm)
       Active: active (running) since Sun 2014-01-05 19:16:55 IST; 4min 59s ago
      Process: 2888 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/xdm start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       CGroup: /system.slice/xdm.service
               â""â"€3628 /usr/bin/kdm
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth is running
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site systemd[1]: Started LSB: X Display Manager.
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth is active on VT 7, reusing for :0
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth should quit after server startup
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: X server died during startup
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: Quitting Plymouth without transition
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth is NOT running
    Jan 05 19:18:36 Aditya.site systemd[1]: Started LSB: X Display Manager.
    Jan 05 19:21:21 Aditya.site systemd[1]: Started LSB: X Display Manager.
    Any handle to proceed?

    Thanks

  5. #5

    Default AW: Re: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by vegaonline View Post
    Then the entry
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status xdm.service
    
    xdm.service - LSB: X Display Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/xdm)
       Active: active (running) since Sun 2014-01-05 19:16:55 IST; 4min 59s ago
      Process: 2888 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/xdm start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       CGroup: /system.slice/xdm.service
               â""â"€3628 /usr/bin/kdm
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth is running
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site systemd[1]: Started LSB: X Display Manager.
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth is active on VT 7, reusing for :0
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth should quit after server startup
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: X server died during startup
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: Quitting Plymouth without transition
    Jan 05 19:16:55 Aditya.site kdm[3628]: plymouth is NOT running
    Jan 05 19:18:36 Aditya.site systemd[1]: Started LSB: X Display Manager.
    Jan 05 19:21:21 Aditya.site systemd[1]: Started LSB: X Display Manager.
    OK, so this is your problem: X does not start.
    To find out why, please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

    Does "Recovery Mode" work? ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu)
    If yes, you could boot that and post /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (that's the log from the previous start).

  6. #6

    Default Re: AW: Re: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    OK, so this is your problem: X does not start.
    To find out why, please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

    Since total number of characters exceeds 15000 which is the limit for the forum, I am sending the pastebin link :-> Xorg.0.log.vegaonline - Pastebin.com for Xorg.0.log

    Does "Recovery Mode" work? ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu)
    If yes, you could boot that and post /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (that's the log from the previous start).
    Yes, I could use recovery mode. However, it did not start the graphics mode. I could login in text mode.
    The link for the Xorg.0.log.old is Xorg.0.log.old.vegaonline - Pastebin.com.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Suddenly login screen is not coming in OpenSUSE13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by vegaonline View Post
    Since total number of characters exceeds 15000 which is the limit for the forum, I am sending the pastebin link :-> Xorg.0.log.vegaonline - Pastebin.com for Xorg.0.log
    Hm, this seems to be truncated.
    But:
    Yes, I could use recovery mode. However, it did not start the graphics mode. I could login in text mode.
    The link for the Xorg.0.log.old is Xorg.0.log.old.vegaonline - Pastebin.com.
    It starts with:
    Code:
    [  2347.499] (WW) RADEON(0): radeon_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 140762 < target_msc 140763
    This is just a warning, so I guess this is no problem. You could try to add "nomodeset" to the boot options to rule that out though (the radeon driver is not used then).
    (press 'e' at the boot menu, search for a line starting with "linux" and append it there, then press 'F10' to boot)

    Then this, followed by some backtraces:
    Code:
    (EE) [mi] EQ overflowing.  Additional events will be discarded until existing events are processed.
    The backtraces seem to be related to the synaptics driver AFAICS. But I'm not sure if that is really the case.
    Maybe you can try to disable the touchpad somehow? (BIOS, hardware switch)

    And this all happened suddenly, out of the blue?
    This would really indicate a hardware problem IMHO...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •