Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo T60-2007 ATI Radeon kills X

Default Lenovo T60-2007 ATI Radeon kills X

In trying to install 13.1 on a Lenovo T60-2007, everything goes fairly well until it comes to start up Gnome or KDE. Even with a live Gnome disk, the results are the same: X tries to start, the box stops working.

It appears that problem centers around the video card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 The drivers seem to be proprietary. The question, then, is how to get around this issue.

I've tried safemode and No KMS. That doesn't fix the problem.

The T60 is dual core 32-bit, with 1G RAM, 320G HDD
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lenovo T60-2007 ATI Radeon kills X

In trying to install 13.1 on a Lenovo T60-2007, everything goes fairly well until it comes to start up Gnome or KDE.
    So, does the initial install complete, and the problem is only occurring after first reboot when the X-server starts?

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    It appears that problem centers around the video card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 The drivers seem to be proprietary.
    The older Radeon chipsets are generally supported only by the open source radeon driver. (I have an old ThinkPad Z60m with X300 chipset, running openSUSE 13.1)

Blog Entries

If you can, open a console with CTRL-ALT-F2 and login as root. Logs to check out include: /var/log/messages, /var/log/kdm.log, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

A memory stick could be useful here, as you can copy the files to it, and view in a working graphical environment elsewhere, and/or upload the logs to SUSE Paste so that we can view. (Just post the links generated.)

With memory stick attached, observe
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    then (if the device is /mnt/sdb for example)
    Code:
    make dir /mnt/memory
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdb /mnt/memory
    Copy the files across
    Code:
    cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt/memory/
    Unmount with
    Code:
    umount /mnt/memory

Blog Entries

You might want to try a live distro (openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu etc) just for test purposes. Maybe one will play nicely with your hardware

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    So, does the initial install complete, and the problem is only occurring after first reboot when the X-server starts?
    Exactly.

The older Radeon chipsets are generally supported only by the open source radeon driver. (I have an old ThinkPad Z60m with X300 chipset, running openSUSE 13.1)
    That's the sense of what my searches are finding.

If you can, open a console with CTRL-ALT-F2 and login as root. Logs to check out include: /var/log/messages, /var/log/kdm.log, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
    [/whack!]
    I'll take a stab at that. I have a working 12.1 system I can use (trying to get that one to 13.1 is another tale of woe).

You might want to try a live distro (openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu etc) just for test purposes. Maybe one will play nicely with your hardware
    32-bit Gnome 12.1 (had it around from the "update 12.1 to 13.1" project) also cratered with the same gripe. I'll try Ubuntu just for laughs and grins.

BTW, the T60's battery is utterly dead. A replacement is on its way. Once it shows up, I'm going to flash "the latest and greatest" BIOS rev (2.23 to 2.27). I don't think it'll fix the issue but... [/shrug] this thing is almost a doorstop as it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    32-bit Gnome 12.1 (had it around from the "update 12.1 to 13.1" project) also cratered with the same gripe. I'll try Ubuntu just for laughs and grins.
    Okay, so that suggests a possible kernel regression. A search of bug reports (including upstream) might be in order.

BTW, the T60's battery is utterly dead. A replacement is on its way. Once it shows up, I'm going to flash "the latest and greatest" BIOS rev (2.23 to 2.27). I don't think it'll fix the issue but... [/shrug] this thing is almost a doorstop as it is.
    My old laptop is in the same situation, but i haven't yet ordered a replacement battery. It could also use some more RAM. IIRC, it can take 2GB max. Other than that, it actually runs fine with openSUSE 13.1.

The experiment with Ubuntu was interesting. I booted off a stick and got to the point where Ubuntu ran for a while. I was even able to browse with FF. Then the machine seized up when I tried to get a system hardware summary, to see what Ubuntu thought was going on with the video section. Rebooting with the same stick has been utterly useless. In short, one time it works, the rest of the time, forget it. Unless Ubuntu is secretly leaving messages to itself on the HDD, any boot-up should be the same as the first one. Drop power to the machine, and it should all return to where the show began. I'd say that's not happening.

It seems there's no straightforward answer to the problem. I'm going poke at it a bit more and then call the job "not worth the aggro." I've got a total of $20 and some DVD's tied up in this project. The T60 is a freebie. If it won't fly soon, I'll leave it grounded.

I have the similar problem.
    Interestingly, I am also using Lenovo laptop - G405 A4-5000.

But I was able to install the previous 12.3 version, however there are still one problem - the brightness cannot be changed, no matter what I done.

I also try the latest Fedora 20, which is not working as well. Then I tried latest Xubuntu 13.10 (live cd), no luck. Then I turn to earlier version Xubuntu 12.04, and it works, but still brightness can't be change. Then I tried again with Debian live lxde 7.2, and it works, no luck for the brightness control.

Any idea how to solve this??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast