Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Two issues with 13.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default Two issues with 13.1

    Hi guys,

    I've ran into two issues, they may be related and as of now I cannot do anything in the GUI. Here is my configuration:

    OS - Opensuse 13.1
    Hardware - Lenovo T520 laptop, not a virtual machine

    The first problem is similar to the issue seen here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...it-online.html

    I issued this command, which has helped speed up login a bit, but the issue persists:

    # systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

    I see:
    "A start job is running for Network Manager" and a red start going back and forth for at least 30 seconds, sometimes longer.

    Image here:
    Network-Manager-Issue


    The second issue I have is that after logging in, I am only able to use my mouse. The KDE desktop or window manager never launches it seems. Thinking this could be user profile related, I created a second user, rebooted, but I get the same result. I am able to use my console logins via F1, F2, etc. to manage the system, just no GUI after logging in.

    Can someone help advise me on these issues?

    --
    Thanks,
    Gabe

  2. #2

    Default Re: Two issues with 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by zishbu View Post
    Hi guys,

    I've ran into two issues, they may be related
    For which serious reason should they be related ??

    Quote Originally Posted by zishbu View Post
    Hardware - Lenovo T520 laptop, not a virtual machine

    The first problem is similar to the issue seen here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...it-online.html
    This seems to be a network problem.
    Could that be caused by the wrong or a damaged WLAN hardware, or an unreliable WLAN connection ?

    Quote Originally Posted by zishbu View Post
    The second issue I have is that after logging in, I am only able to use my mouse. The KDE desktop or window manager never launches it seems. Thinking this could be user profile related, I created a second user, rebooted, but I get the same result. I am able to use my console logins via F1, F2, etc. to manage the system, just no GUI after logging in.
    This sounds like an issue with the graphics card.

    How did you install ?
    I.e., did you use DVD or live system ?
    Did you format your hard disk beforehand ?
    What kind of system was installed beforehand ?
    Did you install a 32 or 64 bit openSUSE ?

    It may not be me who may have a solution,
    but you should have told a bit more about your system and it's history.

    Good luck
    Mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Two issues with 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    For which serious reason should they be related ??
    None that I can think of. It's definitely two different issues; however, both of these happened after a restart. I just wasn't sure if some corruption or software issue with Network Manager would cause an issue with initializing KDE desktop.


    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    This seems to be a network problem.
    Could that be caused by the wrong or a damaged WLAN hardware, or an unreliable WLAN connection ?
    I have never plugged into the wire, I setup my wireless connection in Network Manager. Are the WiFi settings not per user? I would think this would be configured or started after login? Maybe not. FWIW, my E3000 wifi setup is working perfectly for many devices here at home and was working perfect on the laptop until today.

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    This sounds like an issue with the graphics card.
    The graphics were working fine and I had been using the laptop for several days, with sleeping and a few reboots in between use. I did try to enable Desktop Effects, perhaps that is causing some sort of issue, but again I would think that was per user.

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    How did you install ?
    I.e., did you use DVD or live system ?
    Did you format your hard disk beforehand ?
    What kind of system was installed beforehand ?
    Did you install a 32 or 64 bit openSUSE ?

    It may not be me who may have a solution,
    but you should have told a bit more about your system and it's history.

    Good luck
    Mike
    I downloaded the 13.1 32-bit ISO from the site and made it bootable with the Windows utility. I then installed alongside Windows 8.1 on my laptop by booting the DVD and running the installation wizard. GRUB bootloader with opensuse the default load. Both environments were working fine individually.

    I had installed ownCloud, the LAMP stack, and a few other software packages that I cannot remember at the moment. I also setup an OpenVPN client connection profile, all of which had seen reboots in-between.

    If this is a graphics card issue for some reason, advice on how to identify it or get around it? I would think a graphics card issue would just provide a black blank screen, but in my case it is just wallpaper and the mouse does move.

    Any ideas or further info I can provide would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    --
    Gabe

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Two issues with 13.1

    On 2014-01-04 02:16, zishbu wrote:
    > None that I can think of. It's definitely two different issues; however,
    > both of these happened after a restart. I just wasn't sure if some
    > corruption or software issue with Network Manager would cause an issue
    > with initializing KDE desktop.


    I have seen some similar reports. Sometimes it seems related, yes. No idea why.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

  5. #5

    Default Re: Two issues with 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-01-04 02:16, zishbu wrote:
    > None that I can think of. It's definitely two different issues; however,
    > both of these happened after a restart. I just wasn't sure if some
    > corruption or software issue with Network Manager would cause an issue
    > with initializing KDE desktop.


    I have seen some similar reports. Sometimes it seems related, yes. No idea why.
    If some applet on the desktop hangs, the desktop never starts up. So if an applet can't cope with a missing network connection, this can be related.

    Quote Originally Posted by zishbu View Post
    I have never plugged into the wire, I setup my wireless connection in Network Manager. Are the WiFi settings not per user? I would think this would be configured or started after login?
    Yes, a wireless connection is user-specific unless you configure it as "system connection" for which you would need the root password.
    The connection is established at login time then, which means when the desktop is started _no_ connection is available yet.

    I just now found out in a thread in the german forum that the "Remember The Milk" plasmoid has grave bugs which cause exactly this when there's no network available at startup. (it busy-loops until it gets a reply from the server which never happens)

    So are you using that plasmoid maybe?

    Try to reset your desktop to the default settings by renaming or removing ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc .

    Btw, you should be able to get a KRunner window where you can run stuff (dolphin f.e.) by pressing Alt+F2.

    Some thing you could try if the desktop is indeed hanging because of the not yet ready network connection: press Alt+F2, click on the symbol for the System-Monitor and kill plasma-desktop, then run "plasma-desktop" in that dialog.
    If the hang is caused by the not-working network, it should start up fine then.

    The graphics were working fine and I had been using the laptop for several days, with sleeping and a few reboots in between use. I did try to enable Desktop Effects, perhaps that is causing some sort of issue, but again I would think that was per user.

    If this is a graphics card issue for some reason, advice on how to identify it or get around it? I would think a graphics card issue would just provide a black blank screen, but in my case it is just wallpaper and the mouse does move.
    I also don't think this is a graphics issue, if you see the desktop wallpaper. And yes, the desktop effects setting _are_ per user.
    But you could try to boot to "Recovery mode" (see "Advanced Options" in the boot menu) to rule this out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •