Thread: Set the GLSlideshow folder?

Default Set the GLSlideshow folder?

I recently did a fresh install of 13.1 KDE, and I decided to setup a photo screensaver. I go to the "Screen Locker" configuration in "Configure Desktop"/"System Settings" and select GLSlideshow. I click on Setup and can configure all kinds of things, but nothing about setting the photo directory! All I ever see is flaming colorbars. I've tried putting photos into the ~/Pictures folder, but no luck. I also tried running xscreensaver-demo to bring up a different configuration interface, but its not installed and I can't find it on YaST. Anyone else confirm this problem? Anyone know how to manually configure GLSlideshow?
    AMD Phenom II X4 965, ASUS M4A89TD, NVIDIA GTX 650; 2011 Macbook Pro; 1008HA eeePC

Default AW: Set the GLSlideshow folder?

Quote Originally Posted by nfolken View Post
    I recently did a fresh install of 13.1 KDE, and I decided to setup a photo screensaver. I go to the "Screen Locker" configuration in "Configure Desktop"/"System Settings" and select GLSlideshow. I click on Setup and can configure all kinds of things, but nothing about setting the photo directory! All I ever see is flaming colorbars. I've tried putting photos into the ~/Pictures folder, but no luck. I also tried running xscreensaver-demo to bring up a different configuration interface, but its not installed and I can't find it on YaST. Anyone else confirm this problem? Anyone know how to manually configure GLSlideshow?
    xscreensaver-demo is in the package "xscreensaver".
    Install this, run "xscreensaver-demo" and configure the directory (on the "Advanced" tab).
    Please note that when you are asked if you want to launch the daemon, you should click on "Cancel".

Default Re: Set the GLSlideshow folder?

Thanks, that did it! Its odd that xscreensaver-demo isn't listed as provided by xscreensaver, but it makes sense that's where it would be. Also, this is really a work around, and I hope the option gets added to the default configuration.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965, ASUS M4A89TD, NVIDIA GTX 650; 2011 Macbook Pro; 1008HA eeePC

Default Re: Set the GLSlideshow folder?

Quote Originally Posted by nfolken View Post
    Also, this is really a work around, and I hope the option gets added to the default configuration.
    I guess it's safe to say that this most certainly won't happen.

First, xscreensaver is something completely independent of KDE. KDE does provide the feature to still use them as a bonus and supports showing the configuration interfaces of the individual screensaver modules, but AFAIK there is no way for KDE to show the global configuration as xscreensaver doesn't provide an interface for that.
    So KDE would need to change xscreensaver's config file directly, which would be kind of a hack as well.

Second, that part of KDE is feature frozen for KDE4. So it's not really possible anymore to add that configuration. And for KDE5, support for the legacy xscreensavers will most certainly be dropped anyway. (they only work on X as the name implies, not on all the other platforms KDE supports including Wayland)