Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

  1. #1

    Default Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    I recently found out about openSUSE and really wanted to see how it was like. However, the booting process is killing me. I installed ImageWriter on a x64 windows 8 and ran it as an admin. Then I opened the .iso (the gnome one) onto it and clicked copy. A small "written" screen flashed for about a second and it came back to the original menu. Then I copied it again and got this error:

    Thanks for helping guys!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostlyt View Post
    I recently found out about openSUSE and really wanted to see how it was like. However, the booting process is killing me. I installed ImageWriter on a x64 windows 8 and ran it as an admin. Then I opened the .iso (the gnome one) onto it and clicked copy. A small "written" screen flashed for about a second and it came back to the original menu. Then I copied it again and got this error:

    Thanks for helping guys!
    What about the 'suse studio' in the very back window ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    On 2013-12-29 00:26, ratzi wrote:
    >
    > ghostlyt;2612132 Wrote:
    >> I recently found out about openSUSE and really wanted to see how it was
    >> like. However, the booting process is killing me. I installed
    >> ImageWriter on a x64 windows 8 and ran it as an admin. Then I opened the
    >> .iso (the gnome one) onto it and clicked copy. A small "written" screen
    >> flashed for about a second and it came back to the original menu. Then I
    >> copied it again and got this error: [image:
    >> http://i.imgur.com/3RdSRVK.png]
    >>
    >> Thanks for helping guys!

    >
    > What about the 'suse *studio*' in the very back window ?


    ImageWriter is a susestudio application.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    > What about the 'suse *studio*' in the very back window ?

    ImageWriter is a susestudio application.
    OK.

    Nevertheless, there has to be a simple reason,
    otherwise thousands of other users would have complained.

    Is the USB stick formatted the 'wrong' way
    (e.g. NTFS, EXT3, EXT4. etc.) ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,284

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    As I recall there is a problem with imagewriter on Windows8

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    Is the USB stick formatted the 'wrong' way
    (e.g. NTFS, EXT3, EXT4. etc.) ?
    The formatting should not matter. All of it is overwritten anyway.

    But Imagewriter is known to have problems on Windows 8 (insufficient permissions even when run as Administrator, see the error message).

    Use this instead, this is reported to work even on Windows 8:
    Tools for OSForensics - ImageUSB - Write an image to multiple USB Flash Drives

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-12-29 00:26, ratzi wrote:

    > What about the 'suse *studio*' in the very back window ?


    ImageWriter is a susestudio application.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))
    SDB:Create a Live USB stick using Windows - openSUSE I used these instructions

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,284

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Yes and has been said Imagewriter is broken on Win8 try ImageUSB instead as suggested

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The formatting should not matter. All of it is overwritten anyway.

    But Imagewriter is known to have problems on Windows 8 (insufficient permissions even when run as Administrator, see the error message).

    Use this instead, this is reported to work even on Windows 8:
    Tools for OSForensics - ImageUSB - Write an image to multiple USB Flash Drives

    I tried imageusb and it worked! However; I cannot hear any sound, but I'm guessing this is a different problem. Thanks for the help!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,284

    Default Re: Can't install openSUSE onto usb stick

    Yes..........

    If you tell use exactly what you are doing we can help. But the crystal ball is broken and we can't see over your shoulder.

    Did you install or are you running from the USB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •