Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Samba and Android

  1. #1

    Default Samba and Android

    hello to all
    I shared a folder from an Android device and so everything is right
    what I can not understand is why, in Dolphin, the Android's device icon does not appear with other network devices under the "samba shares", but under the folder "Net", along with sftp and ssh etc..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:56:01 +0000, NeverGiveUp01 wrote:

    > hello to all I shared a folder from an Android device and so everything
    > is right what I can not understand is why, in Dolphin, the Android's
    > device icon does not appear with other network devices under the "samba
    > shares", but under the folder "Net", along with sftp and ssh etc..


    Android doesn't use SAMBA.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:56:01 +0000, NeverGiveUp01 wrote:

    > hello to all I shared a folder from an Android device and so everything
    > is right what I can not understand is why, in Dolphin, the Android's
    > device icon does not appear with other network devices under the "samba
    > shares", but under the folder "Net", along with sftp and ssh etc..


    Android doesn't use SAMBA.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    no it is wrong
    has its apps, "samba server" and "samba client"
    furthermore, I use a very useful network transparent file manager ( ES file manager )


    hi Jim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:16:01 +0000, NeverGiveUp01 wrote:

    > no it is wrong has its apps, "samba server" and "samba client"
    > furthermore, I use a very useful network transparent file manager ( ES
    > file manager )


    What specific app have you installed on your Android device to provide a
    SAMBA server?

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    I've used ssh before
    But currently I just use my gdrive
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  6. #6

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    What specific app have you installed on your Android device to provide a
    SAMBA server?


    its name is in fact, "Samba Server"


    Hi

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverGiveUp01 View Post
    What specific app have you installed on your Android device to provide a
    SAMBA server?


    its name is in fact, "Samba Server"


    Hi
    Why would make a mobile device a server?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    On 2013-12-29 10:46, caf4926 wrote:

    >> its name is in fact, "Samba Server"


    > Why would make a mobile device a server?


    If it works, I would consider using it. It would probably work to upload/download files to the
    thing, as bluetooth doesn't seem to work. I would prefer ssh, though.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

  9. #9

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Why would make a mobile device a server?
    You are right !!
    pure curiosity
    and to better understand the functioning of samba on kde


    Hi

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Samba and Android

    On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 03:46:01 +0000, caf4926 wrote:

    > I've used ssh before But currently I just use my gdrive


    Yeah, I use andftp to move stuff between my Android devices and desktop -
    or btsync (which is /really/ nice).

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •