Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash plugin in OpenSUSE 13.1 - Amazon Instant Video

Default Flash plugin in OpenSUSE 13.1 - Amazon Instant Video

I'm chagrined that I can't get Amazon Instant Video to work in 13.1. When I try to play the video, it produces a message that the Amazon Player can't be upgraded because I don't have the latest flash. I DO have the latest Flash Plugin (flash-player-11.2.202.332-22.1.x86_64) but I've noted the forum threads about HAL in 12.3, so I then installed hal-0.5.14-104.8.x86_64 from software.opensuse.org/package/hal. This gets a tiny bit further (yes, I started the haldaemon), but then the flash plugin just crashes.

Has anyone figured out how to get past this issue in 13.1?

Thanks!
    Craig

Default Re: Flash plugin in OpenSUSE 13.1 - Amazon Instant Video

Linux no longer gets flash updates from Adobe (besides security updates) so Amazon is basically complaining that the version number is not right (I think 11.9 is latest flash which probably has some features that the older version doesnt for DRM). Try using pipelight (http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-ins...ml#section_1_4) or chromium with pepperlight-flash package installed.
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

you can use either chrome (or chromium + pepperflash from packman)
    both use newer version of flash (currently 11.9 I think)
    This may help - but there have been quite a few posts in the past from other users not being able to get Amazon video working, so I'm not sure if the newer flash will actually help you.

Pipelight is currently your besat hope for this, but it may or may not work, depending on your hardware.
    Luckily there will be soon a new alternative called shumway on firefox, I cannot wait as this nonsense with flash is more then frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Pipelight is currently your besat hope for this, but it may or may not work, depending on your hardware.
    Luckily there will be soon a new alternative called shumway on firefox, I cannot wait as this nonsense with flash is more then frustrating.
    How is shumway progressing? Last I tried it there were problems playing some videos.
    Plasma 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    How is shumway progressing? Last I tried it there were problems playing some videos.
    I had a play around a couple of weeks ago.
    It is still a loooong way off being as usable as even adobe flash 11.2

I'm bumping this rather old thread because I am having issues with my Firefox Nightly. I installed Shumway and it shows up in the Add-ons-Tab, but it seems to not support YouTube-HD-Videos and movie streaming. Hence my question: What is the best alternative to Adobe Flash as of today? What do you geeks use out there? I'd prefer something Linux-native and in constant development (bleeding-edge freak writing this).

Quote Originally Posted by SecUpwN View Post
    I'm bumping this rather old thread because I am having issues with my Firefox Nightly. I installed Shumway and it shows up in the Add-ons-Tab, but it seems to not support YouTube-HD-Videos and movie streaming. Hence my question: What is the best alternative to Adobe Flash as of today? What do you geeks use out there? I'd prefer something Linux-native and in constant development (bleeding-edge freak writing this).
    the only viable alternative to flash 11.2 found in linux is to use the pepperflash plugin in chrome or chromium.

Quote Originally Posted by SecUpwN View Post
    The only 100% alternative to the flash 11.2 is pepperflash as stated above but you can try viewtube and viewtubeplus along with some media player plugin for FF to try on sites you visit.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011
    Plasma 5.4

Angry WTF?

The only 100% alternative to the flash 11.2 is pepperflash as stated above
    WTF? Are you telling me that Firefox-Users are now FORCED to switch to an ugly Spy-Chrome and to use sh!tty scripts just to play flash videos as usually used to? Isn't there some other project that attempts to work within FIREFOX NIGHTLY? I'd even use something *very* early stage, so please don't hesitate to recommend something that is MAKING an effort to fully replace the standard flash stuff - I personally PERMBANNED Adove Flash from all my devices since I do NOT support their way of "smart thinking". The way I see it: Developers are plain too lazy to even cope with Linux as they cannot accept the free licenses like GPL and probably earn about no money with developing for it. And let alone this fact, I am standing strong against this closed-source cr@p, this stubborn development for the masses, driven by money-hungry retards. So, any other project I should check out?

I'd even DONATE for a real alternative that strives to hit against and FULLY replace Adobe Flash on Linux in general and openSUSE in specific!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast