Thread: Ran out of space on boot partition during upgrade and now can't boot!

Default Ran out of space on boot partition during upgrade and now can't boot!

I started the upgrade process from 12.3 to 13.1 and after all the packages installed it attempted to install the boot loader (grub2). An error was displayed stating that there was no room on the partition and I had to abort. Then (surprise, surprise) when I rebooted my server it immediately crashed displaying a red screen showing various hex values. I rebooted using the install CD and went into recovery then mounted the boot partition and deleted some of the old files (based on older versions). I then attempted to do the 13.1 upgrade again but now it hangs on "saving bootloader configuration".

How do I fix this mess and shouldn't there be a check for sufficient free space before the install takes place?

PS: I'm also using LVM which complicates things.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ran out of space on boot partition during upgrade and now can't boot!

Quote Originally Posted by DiskCrasher View Post
    An error was displayed stating that there was no room on the partition and I had to abort.
    The size that used to be recommended for "/boot" is now too small.

Kernels have grown in size; plymouth adds a lot to the "initrd". And now, with multi-version kernels, the old kernel is kept on a kernel update or a system upgrade.
    I ran into this problem on 12.3. I had 100M for "/boot", and it was not quite enough for two kernels. So I ran into problems on the first kernel update.

My solution: I deleted "plymouth". That makes the "initrd" smaller, so that I can now have two kernel versions at one time. After testing a new kernel, I delete the old one (via Yast).

Alternate solution: turn off multi-version kernel support in "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf".

My advice: do a fresh install, instead of an upgrade. If "/home" is a separate partition, then you can keep the old "/home". If you are installing with the DVD, then delete "plymouth" in the software selection, to keep the size of "initrd" a bit smaller.

If you do a reinstall, and if you have sufficient disk space to re-assign some partitions, then consider enlarging "/boot". I am now using 500M where I can. But I still have some existing systems with 100M, where it isn't worth the effort of re-arranging everything to get more space.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Default Re: Ran out of space on boot partition during upgrade and now can't boot!

Unfortunately I can no longer boot into the system to uninstall packages.

There's got to be a way to just re-install grub2. I've seen some sites that document doing this but most don't address an LVM configuration and I've read that it makes a difference.

Default Re: Ran out of space on boot partition during upgrade and now can'tboot!

On 2013-12-28 01:26, DiskCrasher wrote:

> How do I fix this mess and shouldn't there be a check for sufficient
    > free space -before- the install takes place?

Yes, there should. This problem is more than a decade old.

You might use a rescue system to reinstall Grub. I will not describe the procedure because I always
    need to read it again when needed. I think it is on the howto section.

One method is to mount your boot and root on the rescue system, mount bind dev, sys, proc..., then
    chroot, then run yast boot manager.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

Default Re: Ran out of space on boot partition during upgrade and now can'tboot!

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Yes, there should. This problem is more than a decade old.
    Is there an openFATE issue assigned to this? I couldn't find one.

The problem is basically people not supplying enough space in a separate boot partition. I suppose the installer might test and refuse to install until the situation is corrected but an online install is just package updates so there is no way to really check without redoing the package update logic. The problem in part is zypper keeping multiple copies of the kernel. Up to 3 can be normally installed at one time. The oldest s not deleted until successful boot of the newest. Which then leave current and previous as a backup. So you have to allow for at lest 3 if you have a separate boot.. You can also turn off the multi-kernel option or if in the installer format boot

On 2013-12-28 20:56, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > The problem is basically people not supplying enough space in a separate
    > boot partition. I suppose the installer might test and refuse to install
    > until the situation is corrected but an online install is just package
    > updates so there is no way to really check without redoing the package
    > update logic. The problem in part is zypper keeping multiple copies of
    > the kernel. Up to 3 can be normally installed at one time. The oldest s
    > not deleted until successful boot of the newest. Which then leave
    > current and previous as a backup. So you have to allow for at lest 3 if
    > you have a separate boot.. You can also turn off the multi-kernel
    > option or if in the installer format boot

The installer does not check to see if the predicted installation space fits on the partition setup,
    or fails to do so when there is more than a single partition for the system. openFATES I do not
    know, but I did report the issue on a Buzilla around 7.3.

There is a display of disk space in YaST, but the section is hidden, you have to slide it to show
    (if you don't find where, I'll make a photo). As I had a good system destroyed by this problem, I'm
    aware of it and check carefully.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))