Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.1 Live USB very Laggy

Default 13.1 Live USB very Laggy

I recently downloaded the 13.1 update (KDE-LIVE) stuck it on a usb stick and booted up. The boot up process was fine but slow. Going into the DE was extreemly slow. I am running 12.3 on my laptop right now with no issues. But everything I tried in the Live version was just extreemly laggy on my system.

HP Pavilion dv6 with 6gigs of RAM.

I've thought that it could be the usb drive itself and will try another drive when I get the chance. Anyone else having issue's with lag in the 13.1 distro? Mind you I haven't installed it do to it being so laggy. Not sure if that would make a difference either.

Anyway does anyone have anything they think I could do to make things faster?

Blog Entries

Default Re: 13.1 Live USB very Laggy

More likely you should check running processes using 'top' in a terminal and make sure something isn't running at 100%
    Or perhaps, it could easily be your GPU? Whatever that is and you are running in some crappy graphics mode
    Windows 8 users should make sure windows 8 is really shutdown !
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Weird. I have an 8GB USB stick I use for live images only. 13.1 images run like mud. Gave it's identical sister a try, resulting in a smooth experience. Try other ports, make sure the stick in 100% OK. Perform media check.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I don't use windows period. I came back to OpenSuse after a stint with fedora.

USB sticks can vary wildly for access and write times. Also just plain going to be slower then a HD or SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Argedion View Post
    Anyway does anyone have anything they think I could do to make things faster
    I found the live USB to be extremely slow when trying out 13.1, it's related to the creation/use of the hybrid partition used for persistence.

Try adding kiwi_hybridpersistent=no as a boot option with the live USB.

See these two posts where I originally commented on it:

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2595336

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2595497
    Regards, Paul

On 2013-12-27 21:56, tannington wrote:

> Try adding kiwi_hybridpersistent=no as a boot option with the live USB.

13.1 does not use the same persistent system as previous releases.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

Blog Entries

I didn't notice any laggy when I did this install demo using the Gnome live on a USB on my little eeepc
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....1_install.pdf

Now if it was going to be laggy, you'd kind of expect that little machine to suffer.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

after installing it to a test drive (USB-320g) It seems to be running fairly smooth. I guess that hybrid has caused the Lag on the usb thumb drive. I did switch thumb drives and it was still very laggy. I guess I could try the kiwi_hybridpersistent=no thing but after installing it there really is no need to mess with it. I'm currently running openSUSE 12.3 as my daily driver. I probably will switch over to 13.1 after I finish testing things out and make sure its working with all my hardware. I'm looking at upgrading the 12.3 after the first of the year. I will be moving here soon and will do all that work after the move.

So what makes this kiwi_hybridpersistent so slow? This would be extremely painful if it was being used to rescue a system something I do with Live distro's At moment still glad I have 12.3 on a thumb drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Argedion View Post
    after installing it to a test drive (USB-320g) It seems to be running fairly smooth. I guess that hybrid has caused the Lag on the usb thumb drive.
    The hybrid partition is only used when running from the live USB stick.

So what makes this kiwi_hybridpersistent so slow?
    Based on my own observations, it seems that:

When the live USB stick is ran for the first time with the default kiwi_hybridpersistent=yes, it first formats any remaining free space on the USB stick as a ext3 partition labelled hybrid.

It then creates the directory structure shown here:
    SUSE Paste

This is then used for the 'persistent' data between boots from the USB stick. The read/write to the hybrid partition is, I assume, causing the slowness. I would note that I was using USB 2.0 perhaps with USB 3 it would be acceptably?

This would be extremely painful if it was being used to rescue a system something I do with Live distro's At moment still glad I have 12.3 on a thumb drive.
    Likewise, I keep a live version on USB stick. Booting from that with the kiwi...=no option enables it to behave as with 12.3, however, it keeps on issuing low disk space warnings....
    Regards, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast