Thread: Dual Boot OpenSUSE and Windows 8

Default Dual Boot OpenSUSE and Windows 8

Hi all,
    I have Lenovo Ideapad Y410, I got windows 8 along with it, but i want make it dual boot with opensuse as default OS.
    I tried doing so, but got error while installing grub (ERROR 22: partition not found) I have 2 ext3 partitions (one Linux native and swap) after that OS installation was finished but I am unable to boot from hard disk. I think Grub has removed the windows boot loader and grub has not been installed properly as well. can any one tell me how and where should I install Grub, because my boot partition is ntfs and not ext3. I tried to find Grub files from rescue log in but it says file not found....

Thank you in advance......

Default Re: Dual Boot OpenSUSE and Windows 8

I suppose your system boots in UEFI mode and has a GPT partitioned hard disk.
    Hence, have a look at this guide ...
    Linux on UEFI: A Quick Installation Guide

I am using it legacy EFI mode and while installing grub it gives Error:15 File Not Found and i am unable to install grub

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dpmjoshi View Post
    Hi all,
    I have Lenovo Ideapad Y410, I got windows 8 along with it, but i want make it dual boot with opensuse as default OS.
    I tried doing so, but got error while installing grub (ERROR 22: partition not found)
    Does your hard drive use GPT partitioning?

If it does, you should probably use UEFI booting.

To use conventional MBR booting with grub2 on a GPT disk, you need to create a special boot partition. That's not "/boot". Rather, it is an unformatted partition where grub installs some of its code.
    Here's what it looks like (this is from a GPT partitioned external drive)
    Code:
    # gdisk -l /dev/sdd
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.7

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sdd: 156301488 sectors, 74.5 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 50D37558-962E-42F6-A846-9414ECC0F510
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 156301454
    Partitions will be aligned on 2-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 143 sectors (71.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          321535   156.0 MiB   EF00  primary
       2          321536         4530175   2.0 GiB     8200  primary
       3         4530176        46475263   20.0 GiB    8300  primary
       4        46475264       156301311   52.4 GiB    8300  primary
       5              34            2047   1007.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot partition
    The partition listed there as number 5 is a BIOS boot partition. It begins at sector 34 and ends at sector 2047. It is a small partition, in a place too small for normal partitions. That space is probably unassigned on your disk (assuming it is GPT partitioned).

On an MBR partitioned disk, grub installs some code just after the MBR and before the first partition. On a GPT partitioned disk, the BIOS boot partition is for the same purpose.

It looks to me as if your "ERROR 22" message is complaining that the needed partition does not exist. You can create it with "gdisk", which should be on the live KDE/Gnome/Rescue install media (but perhaps not on the DVD).
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

ok thanks for your support, I will try doing that, My Hd uses GPT so if I just want to install openSUSE 13.1 then can you tell me the step by step process. Should I format my HD with GPARTED and start from fresh....because i think i have messed up with my HD and there are 10 partitions, 3 for openSUSE and others include windows. I am new to Linux so please guide me in this process....

I would reinstall windows 8, then redo the dual boot - but I am lazy. Lenovo charges $59 for the disks.