Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

  1. #1

    Exclamation No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    Hello there,

    so i ve installed opensuse 13.1 on my laptop.

    After the installation i was not able to enter my bios anymore. Its definately not! a hardware problem.
    When i start my PC i have two possibilities: F12 for boot menu and F2 Bios Setup

    When repetetivily press F2, nothing happens, i will shortly see "Welcome to Grub Loader" and then i am moved to the screen where i can select between "opensuse 13.1" and "Advanced options for opensuse 13.1."

    When pressing F12, i am moved to a screen with two tabs: "Boot Menu" and "Application Menu". In the "Boot Menu" i am only able to Select "opensuse". The application menu only shows "Diagnostic screen".

    thats it! there is no possibilty to enter the bios.
    I know that Grub loads after the BIOS, and i know that i shouldnt have anything to do with it, but this would be my first guess. Maybe it has something to do with "EFI"?

    Thanks for your help.

    By the way, my system is: Fujitsu AH532

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    On 2013-12-25 13:36, gilgamesch123 wrote:

    > thats it! there is no possibilty to enter the bios.
    > I know that Grub loads after the BIOS, and i know that i shouldnt have
    > anything to do with it, but this would be my first guess. Maybe it has
    > something to do with "EFI"?


    Grub can inhibit the bios menu if the last thing you did was hibernate the machine. Grub is set to
    automatically boot the correct choice to boot, and bios menu is inhibited. I don't know how exactly
    this is done.

    But, at least in my machine, cycling the power button does the trick, as this bios inhibition works
    for one boot only, not the second attempt - unless the bios itself has a bug and doesn't remove the
    inhibition.

    I only know this by observation, I don't have a link explaining it.
    It is not a recent standard, my laptop with 11.4 has it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,108

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesch123 View Post
    HMaybe it has something to do with "EFI"?
    Yes, from your description it sounds like you have EFI system. I guess you have better chances on forum, dedicated to your hardware - it is really your BIOS that behaves this way.

    What you could do - is to attempt to reboot into setup screen using grub2. On grub2 menu press 'c' (single character) to enter command line. Then do
    Code:
    fwsetup
    If your system supports it, grub2 will try to reboot into firmware setup menu. Then you may try to fix the problem there.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,108

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Grub can inhibit the bios menu if the last thing you did was hibernate the machine.
    Please, no urban legends. grub never did it.
    Grub is set to
    automatically boot the correct choice to boot,
    after grub is loaded. It is set in grub configuration.
    and bios menu is inhibited.
    None of components involved in hibernating Linux explicitly disables BIOS menu.

  5. #5

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    gilgamesch123 wrote:

    >
    > Hello there,
    >
    > so i ve installed opensuse 13.1 on my laptop.
    >
    > After the installation i was not able to enter my bios anymore. Its
    > definately not! a hardware problem.
    > When i start my PC i have two possibilities: F12 for boot menu and F2
    > Bios Setup
    >
    > When repetetivily press F2, nothing happens, i will shortly see "Welcome
    > to Grub Loader" and then i am moved to the screen where i can select
    > between "opensuse 13.1" and "Advanced options for opensuse 13.1."
    >
    > When pressing F12, i am moved to a screen with two tabs: "Boot Menu" and
    > "Application Menu". In the "Boot Menu" i am only able to Select
    > "opensuse". The application menu only shows "Diagnostic screen".
    >
    > thats it! there is no possibilty to enter the bios.
    > I know that Grub loads after the BIOS, and i know that i shouldnt have
    > anything to do with it, but this would be my first guess. Maybe it has
    > something to do with "EFI"?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > By the way, my system is: Fujitsu AH532
    >
    >


    Check the user manual for your computer for a jumper or other method of
    resetting the BIOS to defaults. It may be a lost cause or require a lot of
    effort to get to it but I have had at least one instance where that was the
    only way to get into a BIOS setup. If this works, keep a careful record of
    the BIOS changes you might make just in case the problem returns.

    --
    Will Honea


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    On 2013-12-26 04:06, arvidjaar wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2611366 Wrote:
    >>
    >> Grub can inhibit the bios menu if the last thing you did was hibernate
    >> the machine.

    > Please, no urban legends. grub never did it.
    >> Grub is set to
    >> automatically boot the correct choice to boot,*after* grub is loaded. It is set in grub configuration.
    >> and bios menu is inhibited.

    > None of components involved in hibernating Linux explicitly disables
    > BIOS menu.


    It is not a urban leyend, I can prove it. My laptop does what I described.

    When I hibernate, on first boot I can not reach the bios, it does not respond, and the "hit supr key
    for bios" message is not displayed.

    This is done by Linux.

    I don't write lies. :-/

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,108

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    When I hibernate, on first boot I can not reach the bios, it does not respond, and the "hit supr key
    for bios" message is not displayed.
    Which suspend method are you using? I suspect that you are using "platform" which calls ACPI. Your BIOS may be so intelligent that it skips usual boot sequence in this case. Or you are using "suspend" which does not turn system off at all, but rather suspends to RAM after writing hibernation image.

    Try using "shutdown" which actually does normal shutdown after creating hibernation image. Do you still miss normal boot sequence?

    This is done by Linux.
    Please show me code in Linux that disables BIOS setup menu.

    I don't write lies.
    That does not mean your interpretation of what happens is correct. There is slight difference between saying "after hibernating my system I cannot enter BIOS setup screen" and "grub/Linux disable BIOS setup screen", do not you think?

    Using your own words - prove it Show me code in grub or Linux that does it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    On 2013-12-26 14:16, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2013-12-26 04:06, arvidjaar wrote:



    > I don't write lies. :-/


    I just made a video that proves it.

    On first boot, on my hibernated machine, there is no bios message: just the Compaq logo, then the
    openSUSE logo straight as initial kernel loads and reads the swap. I force a reboot this instant
    (ctrl-alt-supr), and on second boot there is the bios message on the bottom left, and next, the grub
    menu.

    It weights 18 MB. Tell me where to upload it if you want to see it. Or I can email it to you (I know
    your email from the mail lists).

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,108

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    I just made a video that proves it.
    Did I say that I did not believe your system skipped normal boot sequence when resuming after hibernation? You are preaching to the choir

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    13,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: No access to BIOS after installing 13.1 - Not a hardware problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-12-26 14:16, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2013-12-26 04:06, arvidjaar wrote:



    > I don't write lies. :-/


    I just made a video that proves it.

    On first boot, on my hibernated machine, there is no bios message: just the Compaq logo, then the
    openSUSE logo straight as initial kernel loads and reads the swap. I force a reboot this instant
    (ctrl-alt-supr), and on second boot there is the bios message on the bottom left, and next, the grub
    menu.

    It weights 18 MB. Tell me where to upload it if you want to see it. Or I can email it to you (I know
    your email from the mail lists).

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))
    You can upload videos for free to Vimeo (and YouTube if you want to wait hours to do simple uploads).
    Free access to all non-mobile devices. Have to pay for videos to be formatted for mobile devices.

    Uploads are automatically formatted although I personally try to format myself before uploading (It's just me).
    If your video was taken on a smartphone, just search for the Vimeo app in your device's Store (eg Play Store if Android, Apple store if iOS).

    TSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •