Thread: A mess of a system ... "sigh"

Default A mess of a system ... "sigh"

Hi All

Now this is what happened

I was running a 12.3 system in my office where I had a VM with windows XP as I must run a windows program for my private practice (I am a dentist).
    Two days ago the system showed me that there were some updates and whithout thinking I OKed to be installed. I continued my work but some time later I noticed that the updates were some 780 (or there abouts). There wasn't much to do so I waited it to finish. After the reboot it showed that it was Opensuse 13.1 but ever since the boot sequence hungs just after "Started Command Sequence"

Any help?

PS. It is imperative that I dont loose the windows VM as I will be in deeeeeep Sh...... (You Know)

Thanks

Ooops .... and Marry Christmast

Blog Entries

Default Re: A mess of a system ... "sigh"

Likely the virtual machine winXP data is still there , even if you can't boot openSUSE.

On my openSUSE-12.3 the virutual machine hosted operating systems are stored on " /home/oldcpu/VirtualBox VMs/ " and in your case sustitute your user name where 'oldcpu' is located and your virtual OS should be there. Hence no matter what you, do NOT delete that directory nor its contents.

Also, no update will change openSUSE 12.3 to 13.1 unless a user with access to the PC deliberately goes into the PC's repository setup and adds openSUSE-13.1 repositories. Please, can you advise us better as to exactly what was done there ?

Also, when you say the boot sequence stops at "Started Command Sequence" is this the openSUSE boot sequence ? or the Virtual Machine boot sequence ?

Also, if this is your PC openSUSE that is not booting, does it boot with Failsafe settings selected ?

Also, can you boot your PC with a USB stick (that has openSUSE on the USB stick) ?

If you have an external hard drive, and have a USB stick (with openSUSE or other GNU/Linux on the USB stick) then you could boot to the USB stick, and copy/backup the content of " /home/jijibouko/VirtualBox VMs/ " to the external hard drive. This way not matter what happens in your recovery efforts, you do not over write your virtual OS (winXP in this case).

Lets hope this is not a hardware hard drive failure.

I humbly offer my thanks for your promptly reply

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Likely the virtual machine winXP data is still there , even if you can't boot openSUSE. .
    I understand this as I have made a habbit of having a dedicated partision for /home

Also, no update will change openSUSE 12.3 to 13.1 unless a user with access to the PC deliberately goes into the PC's repository setup and adds openSUSE-13.1 repositories. Please, can you advise us better as to exactly what was done there ?.
    Hmm... I am the only user of the machine, and I dont think that I have done such a thing, but maybe by accident installing something???? Could be

Also, when you say the boot sequence stops at "Started Command Sequence" is this the openSUSE boot sequence ? or the Virtual Machine boot sequence ?.
    My bad. It stops AFTER "Started Command Sequence" in the openSUSE boot sequence

Also, if this is your PC openSUSE that is not booting, does it boot with Failsafe settings selected ?
    No, same problem

Also, can you boot your PC with a USB stick (that has openSUSE on the USB stick) ?
    Yes

If you have an external hard drive, and have a USB stick (with openSUSE or other GNU/Linux on the USB stick) then you could boot to the USB stick, and copy/backup the content of " /home/jijibouko/VirtualBox VMs/ " to the external hard drive. This way not matter what happens in your recovery efforts, you do not over write your virtual OS (winXP in this case).
    Sound advice. Will do

Lets hope this is not a hardware hard drive failure.
    Apparently not.

Thanks again

On 2013-12-25 08:16, jijiboukos wrote:
    >
    > Hi All
    >
    > Now this is what happened
    >
    > I was running a 12.3 system in my office where I had a VM with windows
    > XP as I must run a windows program for my private practice (I am a
    > dentist).
    > Two days ago the system showed me that there were some updates and
    > whithout thinking I OKed to be installed. I continued my work but some
    > time later I noticed that the updates were some 780 (or there abouts).
    > There wasn't much to do so I waited it to finish. After the reboot it
    > showed that it was Opensuse 13.1 but ever since the boot sequence hungs
    > just after "Started Command Sequence"
    >
    > Any help?

Uff.

Somehow you defined 13.1 repositories. Maybe you installed something by oneclick and you did not
    notice you were selecting a 13.1 repo.

> PS. It is imperative that I dont loose the windows VM as I will be in
    > deeeeeep Sh...... (You Know)

Make a backup of it by using any rescue system, as oldcpu says. If the VM is in /home, it is
    probably safe. As it is needed for your business, you should have a backup plan anyways.

As to repairs, one procedure is to boot the 12.3 full DVD (or USB stick), and instead of selecting
    "install", select "upgrade". This procedure is known to often (not always) solve this kind of problems.

>
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ooops .... and Marry Christmast

Same to you :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Somehow you defined 13.1 repositories. Maybe you installed something by oneclick and you did not
    notice you were selecting a 13.1 repo.
    This is plausible, and IMHO it is another good reason why the 'default' with the 'one click' should be to have the new added repository disabled after the install complete. I have always disliked (and strongly objected at the time) the policy where the 'one click' would leave the added repository enabled by default.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jijiboukos View Post
    Sound advice. Will do
    Note your winXP virtual os could be > 2GB. So for any backup, ensure that you use an external hard drive that has NTFS file format (which is the default for new larger external hard drives) and NOT FAT32 (which was the default for older smaller external hard drives).

On 2013-12-25 15:06, oldcpu wrote:

> Note your winXP virtual os could be > 2GB. So for any backup, ensure
    > that you use an external hard drive that has NTFS file format (which is
    > the default for new larger external hard drives) and NOT FAT32 (which
    > was the default for older smaller external hard drives).

Dunno about virtualbox, but on vmware player the default is to split the thing over several files,
    smaller than 2 gigs, precisely for that reason.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2013-12-25 15:06, oldcpu wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2611311 Wrote:
    >>
    >> Somehow you defined 13.1 repositories. Maybe you installed something by
    >> oneclick and you did not
    >> notice you were selecting a 13.1 repo.
    >>

>
    > This is plausible, and IMHO it is another good reason why the 'default'
    > with the 'one click' should be to have the new added repository disabled
    > after the install complete. I have always disliked (and strongly
    > objected at the time) the policy where the 'one click' would leave the
    > added repository enabled by default.

Well, IMO, the problem is that the procedure does not verify the system version. The entire zypper
    toolchain should be modified to verify the system version by looking at the version file on etc.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.