Thread: Christmas penguins in GRUB2 wanted!

Default Christmas penguins in GRUB2 wanted!

For those very new to openSUSE, this may seem strange. Back in the old days (well <3 years ago actually!) the bootloader
    screen (then GRUB Legacy) changed at around Christmas. Rather than just showing the plain menu, the background consisted
    of animated penguins wearing Santa hats walking on snow near an igloo. It brought much Christmas cheer to the
    distribution! Since openSUSE replaced GRUB Legacy with GRUB2, this feature seems not to be enabled (at least by
    default). Is there any way to enable it? If not, can we petition the developers to include it?

Default Re: Christmas penguins in GRUB2 wanted!

There's an openFATE request for it: https://features.opensuse.org/316767.

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    For those very new to openSUSE, this may seem strange. Back in the old days (well <3 years ago actually!) the bootloader
    screen (then GRUB Legacy) changed at around Christmas. Rather than just showing the plain menu, the background consisted
    of animated penguins wearing Santa hats walking on snow near an igloo. It brought much Christmas cheer to the
    distribution! Since openSUSE replaced GRUB Legacy with GRUB2, this feature seems not to be enabled (at least by
    default). Is there any way to enable it? If not, can we petition the developers to include it?
    I agree. Nowadays whit "sleep" functions in opensuse13.1 it is not to often to reboot.
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

I can still boot the 13.1 live KDE, to get my Christmas penguins.

Yes, I would like to see this with grub2. I have voted for it at the openfate request.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I can still boot the 13.1 live KDE, to get my Christmas penguins.

Yes, I would like to see this with grub2. I have voted for it at the open fate request.
    Ok!. Mee too.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

Voted already.

Voted up, of course!

When I first saw them years ago I couldn't even believe it.
    Too late for 2013, though.

Now I am even glad I haven't upgraded our other 3 boxes from 11.x
    but the day will come....

I'm not using Grub2 yet on this machine, but I voted for this. It should at least be an option, if not everyone wants it. Something for Halloween would be nice, too.
    Desktop : Leap 15.3 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.3 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4