Thread: Can't attach USB device to VirtualBox

Default Can't attach USB device to VirtualBox

Since I upgraded to openSUSE 13.1 I can't attach USB device to VirtualBox. Somehow, VirtualBox recognize USB, but I can't click on it:

I am member of vboxusers group and this is my /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxadd.rules:
    Code:
    KERNEL=="vboxguest", NAME="vboxguest", OWNER="vboxadd", MODE="0660"
    KERNEL=="vboxuser", NAME="vboxuser", OWNER="vboxadd", MODE="0666"
    I am using:
    openSUSE 13.1
    VirtualBox 4.2.18_OSE r88780

If I install the newest version of VB, I can't even start VB... Probably because VB 4.2.18 is official version of OS 13.1 - software.opensuse.org:

Any help would be appreciated,
    voyke.

Default Re: Can't attach USB device to VirtualBox

Copy the file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/, open it with a text editor, and remove the leading '#'s from the last 4 lines below the comment in line #2. This is needed to give you the needed permissions, but is disabled by default in the openSUSE package because of security concerns.
    It should work then after a reboot.

Default AW: Can't attach USB device to VirtualBox

Quote Originally Posted by vujke View Post
    Since I upgraded to openSUSE 13.1 I can't attach USB device to VirtualBox. Somehow, VirtualBox recognize USB, but I can't click on it:

I am member of vboxusers group and this is my /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxadd.rules:
    Code:
    KERNEL=="vboxguest", NAME="vboxguest", OWNER="vboxadd", MODE="0660"
    KERNEL=="vboxuser", NAME="vboxuser", OWNER="vboxadd", MODE="0666"
    I am using:
    openSUSE 13.1
    VirtualBox 4.2.18_OSE r88780

If I install the newest version of VB, I can't even start VB... Probably because VB 4.2.18 is official version of OS 13.1 - software.opensuse.org:

Any help would be appreciated,
    voyke.

Have you installed the extension pack? Extension Pack for 4.2.18: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...0.vbox-extpack
    Then enable USB 2.0 Controller in VM Settings.
    If still not working, try to do it as root.

Quote Originally Posted by XorgMC View Post
    Have you installed the extension pack? Extension Pack for 4.2.18: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...0.vbox-extpack
    Then enable USB 2.0 Controller in VM Settings.
    Attaching a device should work without the Extension Pack (in USB1.x mode only of course).

If still not working, try to do it as root.
    Well, better do not.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Copy the file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/, open it with a text editor, and remove the leading '#'s from the last 4 lines below the comment in line #2. This is needed to give you the needed permissions, but is disabled by default in the openSUSE package because of security concerns.
    Thanks - this fixed the problem on my openSUSE 13.1 desktop.

BTW - The 12.3 rules had been moved to an .rpmsave files (I normally search for and review all the .rpmsave and .rpmnew files, but I hadn't got around to it yet).

Problem solved!

Thanks everyone for helping...

Cheers,
    Voyke.

installed version 4.3.6 today and it don't create the group vboxusers

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules
    Code:
    KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0600"KERNEL=="vboxdrvu", NAME="vboxdrvu", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0666"
    KERNEL=="vboxnetctl", NAME="vboxnetctl", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0600"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass}"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN+="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass}"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN+="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
    when i add a usb key, it's not detected... seem like the rpm is not ok
    www.laboiteaprog.com

Hey Folks :-)

this solution works fine for me

Source:
    -------
    https://www.philipp-wagner.com/blog/...opensuse-11-4/

kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/20-virtualboxusb.rules
    ##------
    Code:
    KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0600"
    #these two lines give access permission to vboxusers to properly work with usb nodes, this could be security risk (bnc#664520) !!
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ATTR{devnum}=="?*", ATTR{busnum}=="?*",SYMLINK+="vboxusb/$attr{busnum}/$attr{devnum}", GROUP="vboxusers"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{devnum}=="?*", ATTR{busnum}=="?*",SYMLINK+="vboxusb/$attr{busnum}/$attr{devnum}", GROUP="vboxusers"
    ##----

# Original-First-Line: just for info
    Code:
    KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0600"

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ2_Son_Gohan View Post
    Hey Folks :-)

this solution works fine for me

Source:
    -------
    https://www.philipp-wagner.com/blog/...opensuse-11-4/

kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/20-virtualboxusb.rules
    ##------
    Code:
    KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0600"
    #these two lines give access permission to vboxusers to properly work with usb nodes, this could be security risk (bnc#664520) !!
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ATTR{devnum}=="?*", ATTR{busnum}=="?*",SYMLINK+="vboxusb/$attr{busnum}/$attr{devnum}", GROUP="vboxusers"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{devnum}=="?*", ATTR{busnum}=="?*",SYMLINK+="vboxusb/$attr{busnum}/$attr{devnum}", GROUP="vboxusers"
    ##----

# Original-First-Line: just for info
    Code:
    I would NOT recommend that. This advise is three years old and the virtualbox packages have changed a lot since then.

Better copy the included file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and edit that (remove the comment characters '#' in the last 4 lines).
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
    kdesu kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules
    It should look like this then:
    Code:
    #these lines below give access permission to vboxusers to properly work with usb nodes, but enabling them could be security risk (bnc#664520) !!
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="add", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass} vboxusers"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass} vboxusers"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
    Do you see the difference?

I would NOT recommend that. This advise is three years old and the virtualbox packages have changed a lot since then.

Better copy the included file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and edit that (remove the comment characters '#' in the last 4 lines).
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
    kdesu kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules
    It should look like this then:
    Code:
    #these lines below give access permission to vboxusers to properly work with usb nodes, but enabling them could be security risk (bnc#664520) !!
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="add", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass} vboxusers"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass} vboxusers"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN+="VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
    Do you see the difference?
    Thank you so much everyone! This was making me bang my head about. This fixed my issue.