Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apper authentication popups don't pop up

Default Apper authentication popups don't pop up

I have just updated from OpenSuSE 12.3 to 13.1 on a dual-opteron PC (kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop, KDE 4.11.3), and I can no longer use Apper to update. I can check for updates with it, but when I try to apply them, I see no authentication dialogue popup, I receive a notification that I have failed to authenticate, and no update occurs. With Apper set to check for updates daily, I then receive more similar notifications but no authentication dialogues every time it tries to check for updates, which it does every few minutes. Other authentication dialogues--YaST, kwallet, CUPs--work OK. I have used YaST's Onlime Update module to update, but it has far fewer updates on offer than Apper. Any suggestions?

Ben

Blog Entries

Default Re: Apper authentication popups don't pop up

Quote Originally Posted by benbrewster View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Right click on the tray (panel) and select "System Tray Settings". I usually right click just above the triangle for hidden icons.

In the tray settings, look at the "Extra Items". There should be one for "Software Updater". Make sure that is checked.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

This sounds to me like a permissions issue, that happens if your user session is not correctly registered with logind.

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    loginctl

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Right click on the tray (panel) and select "System Tray Settings". I usually right click just above the triangle for hidden icons.

In the tray settings, look at the "Extra Items". There should be one for "Software Updater". Make sure that is checked.
    ben@linux-3j1n:~> loginctl
    SESSION UID USER SEAT
    1 0 root seat0

1 sessions listed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    This sounds to me like a permissions issue, that happens if your user session is not correctly registered with logind.

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    loginctl

SESSION UID USER SEAT
    1 0 root seat0

1 sessions listed.

SESSION UID USER SEAT
    1 0 root seat0

1 sessions listed.
    Are you logged in as root?

If not, how are you logging in and get to the X session exactly?

Are you logged in as root?

If not, how are you logging in and get to the X session exactly?
    No, I'm logged in as a user. The computer is set to boot to level 3. I then login as root, run kdm, and log in as user.

No, I'm logged in as a user. The computer is set to boot to level 3. I then login as root, run kdm, and log in as user.
    And how do you run kdm? I'm asking because it's kdm that should register the user session with logind and apparently this does not happen in your case.
    Does it work if you run kdm with "rcxdm start" or "init 5"?
    (loginctl should show your user session)

And how do you run kdm? I'm asking because it's kdm that should register the user session with logind and apparently this does not happen in your case.
    Does it work if you run kdm with "rcxdm start" or "init 5"?
    (loginctl should show your user session)
    I run the command "kdm" and then enter the user name and password in the dialog that appears once X-windows is launched.

I run the command "kdm" and then enter the user name and password in the dialog that appears once X-windows is launched.
    Try with "rcxdm start" or "init 5", please, and check if your user session is registered then with "loginctl".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast