Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microphone (internal or external) no longer works after upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1

Unhappy Microphone (internal or external) no longer works after upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1

On my Asus G73Jh2 laptop (uname -a = "Linux pinto 3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"), after upgrading from 12.3 to 13.1, neither the internal nor the external microphones work. My primary sound application is Mumble. I can hear sounds coming from the Murmer server, but no one else in the session can hear me. Mumble is using ALSA to communicate with the primary sound card ("5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio", configured as sound card number 0, with driver "snd-hda-intel").
    There doesn't seem to be any tools in either YaST or KDE to verify input through the sound card? So I'm not sure where (in what layer of the audio software) the problem lies. I have looked at the settings in the YaST sound module and kMix, and everything looks like it should be working.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Microphone (internal or external) no longer works after upgradefrom 12.3 to 13.1

jlturriff wrote:
    >
    > On my Asus G73Jh2 laptop (uname -a = "Linux pinto 3.11.6-4-desktop #1
    > SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
    > GNU/Linux"), after upgrading from 12.3 to 13.1, neither the internal nor
    > the external microphones work.
    >
    >

Did you apply all the patches and updates ?
    --
    Version 3.10.2
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    Where are my penguins :- https://features.opensuse.org/316767

Default Re: Microphone (internal or external) no longer works after upgradefrom 12.3 to 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    jlturriff wrote:
    Did you apply all the patches and updates ?
    Yes; that did not fix the issue.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Microphone (internal or external) no longer works after upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by jlturriff View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any tools in either YaST or KDE to verify input through the sound card? So I'm not sure where (in what layer of the audio software) the problem lies. I have looked at the settings in the YaST sound module and kMix, and everything looks like it should be working.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    For a tool to assist in handling multiple sound cards, I prefer to install 'pulse audio volume control' application (pavucontrol). There are a couple blogs about this, giving guidance:

Default Re: Microphone (internal or external) no longer works after upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    For a tool to assist in handling multiple sound cards, I prefer to install 'pulse audio volume control' application (pavucontrol). There are a couple blogs about this, giving guidance:

Thanks; I'll take a look at them.

I also added group audio to my account, but that doesn't seem to have helped either.

I see also that kControl has Sound System options, which has the Audio Device set to Autodetect; other possibilities are ALSA, Jack, None, Open Sound system and Threaded Open Sound system. Seems like Autodetect should be the right way to go here; or am I wrong?

The YaST sound module has a testing tool for sound output, but none for sound input. :-( I'm thinking of putting that on their wish-list.

Blog Entries

I see also that kControl has Sound System options, which has the Audio Device set to Autodetect; other possibilities are ALSA, Jack, None, Open Sound system and Threaded Open Sound system. Seems like Autodetect should be the right way to go here; or am I wrong?
    Sorry - wrt the quote of what you typed, I don't know what that means. Typically the alsa driver is the fundamental driver, on top of which pulse audio runs. I never touch those settings so I assume it should be automatic, but since I never touch those settings I don't know what it means for kde.

My mic 'just works' with the correct configuration in the mixer and in pulse audio.

For example, on my desktop PC, I have a internal jack connector for a mic, and I also have a mic in my USB webcam.

If I type in a terminal:
    Code:
    arecord -l
    I obtain:
    Code:
    oldcpu@corei7-920:~> arecord -l
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
      Subdevices: 3/3
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
      Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    card 1: U0x46d0x821 [USB Device 0x46d:0x821], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    From which one can see that my motherboard microphone is 'hw:0,0' and my USB webcam microphone is 'hw:1,0'.

If I then type in a terminal:
    Code:
    arecord -vv -f S16_LE -c 2 -D hw:1,0 newrecording.wav
    where my recording is stored in the wav file 'newrecording.wav' as recorded by my 'webcam' mic (as I specified hw:1,0).

I can then play that file with the command :
    Code:
    aplay newrecording.wav
    The above bypasses pulse audio and it is a good general test to see if alsa is properly configured, before wasting one's time trying to configure pulse audio.

wrt arecord, I have specified 'S16_LE' as the ' -f ' option, and also specified 2 as the channel (-c ) option. Every PC is different and those may yield errors on your PC. The ' -vv ' gives a verbose mode so that one can see a level indicating the volume of audio being recorded.

Sorry - wrt the quote of what you typed, I don't know what that means. Typically the alsa driver is the fundamental driver, on top of which pulse audio runs. I never touch those settings so I assume it should be automatic, but since I never touch those settings I don't know what it means for kde.

My mic 'just works' with the correct configuration in the mixer and in pulse audio.
    Mine did also (both internal and external) in OS 12.3, but after upgrading to 13.1 I get nothing.

#arecord -l shows me:

card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1

Strangely, YaST shows two devices:

│Index│Card Model
    │0 │5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
    │1 │ATI Technologies Inc

I will try the arecord and aplay commands and see what happens.

Blog Entries

#arecord -l shows me:

card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    That indicates hw:0,0 is your recording device. Hence try in a terminal or konsole:
    Code:
    arecord -vv -f S16_LE -c 2 -D hw:0,0 newrecording.wav
    and press <CTRL><C> to stop the recording.

The " -vv " should should a recording volume bar in a text format.

That indicates hw:0,0 is your recording device. Hence try in a terminal or konsole:
    Code:
    arecord -vv -f S16_LE -c 2 -D hw:0,0 newrecording.wav
    and press <CTRL><C> to stop the recording.

The " -vv " should should a recording volume bar in a text format.
    I see no response at all, even when I shout. Here's the result:
    Code:
    $arecord -vv -f S16_LE -c 2 -D hw:0,0 newrecording.wav
    Recording WAVE 'newrecording.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Stereo
    Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 8000Hz, got = 44100Hz)
             please, try the plug plugin
    Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel MID' device 0 subdevice 0
    Its setup is:
      stream       : CAPTURE
      access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
      format       : S16_LE
      subformat    : STD
      channels     : 2
      rate         : 44100
      exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
      msbits       : 16
      buffer_size  : 22052
      period_size  : 5513
      period_time  : 125011
      tstamp_mode  : NONE
      period_step  : 1
      avail_min    : 5513
      period_event : 0
      start_threshold  : 1
      stop_threshold   : 22052
      silence_threshold: 0
      silence_size : 0
      boundary     : 6207086186423386112
      appl_ptr     : 0
      hw_ptr       : 0
    #+                                                 | 00%^C
    Aborted by signal Interrupt...
    #+                                                 | 00%
     13:56:04,leslie@pinto
    I know the hardware is working, because 1) if I close the laptop's screen I get excruciating feedback; and 2) it works fine when I boot into (yuk) Windows (/yuk).

Blog Entries

I see no response at all, even when I shout. Here's the result:
    I know the hardware is working, because 1) if I close the laptop's screen I get excruciating feedback; and 2) it works fine when I boot into (yuk) Windows (/yuk).
    This is a puzzle.

I believe I need more information to understand this.

Please can you run the diagnostic script (with PC connected to the internet) that provides more information on audio configuration (and it will upload it to the internet). Select the UPLOAD/SHARE option, and when the script is complete,it will give you a URL/web address where the info is located. Please post that URL/web address here.

The command to run in a terminal/konsole is:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    I'll take a look at the web address after you post it, to see if I can obtain some insight into this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast