Fail to get network printer working in OpenSUSE

Hi,

Having moved from OpenSUSE 12.2 64bit to 13.1 64bit I can’t get my networked (of a PrintServer) to work.

It worked on 12.2 and I’m using the same settings and driver.
The printer is an Epson DX5000.
Oddly enough, it used to work on an Ubuntu 13.04 laptop but refuses to work now that I’ve moved that machine to 13.10!
It seems to be the same symptoms - I try and print a test page, it says it’s spooling, gets to 4% or 8% and then stops. The printer loads a page and maybe prints the first few lines of the document before stopping.

I ran the Printer Setup utility from the Terminal (in Ubuntu 13.10, but I presume the output will be the same/similar) and attempting to print a test page, I get the following:

kenny@kenny-Laptop:~$ system-config-printer
PASSTHRU
‘’
ps
‘’
lp
‘\x00’
Caught non-fatal exception. Traceback:
File “/usr/share/system-config-printer/probe_printer.py”, line 412, in _probe_smb
smbc_auth.failed (e)
File “/usr/share/system-config-printer/pysmb.py”, line 180, in failed
raise exc
NoEntryError: (2, ‘No such file or directory’)
Continuing anyway…
PASSTHRU
‘’
ps
‘’
lp
‘\x00’
No ID match for device lpd://192.168.1.150/lp:
MFG:;MDL:;
No ID match for device lpd://192.168.1.150/lp:
MFG:;MDL:;
Unknown value for media-col: (unknown IPP value tag 0x34)
Choices:
Selecting from choices: media-bottom-margin
Unknown value for media-col: (unknown IPP value tag 0x34)
Choices:
Selecting from choices: media-bottom-margin

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

First, have you looked in YaST?
Second, have you looked at CUPS or at the error messages in /var/log/cups?

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/probe_printer.py", line 412, in _probe_smb
    smbc_auth.failed (e)

That seems to be a significant issue.
Authentication failed.

Also,
You may need to describe what the “Printer Setup Utility” is…
Is it something from Epson? Somewhere else?

Nowadays, CUPS is very capable and likely should be able to detect, configure, setup and connect all by itself for most printers.

TSU

Accordinng to http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/dx5000/html/spec_4.htm the DX5000 is not a network printer. It is a multifunction inkjet device, USB2 only. The “smbc_auth.failed” suggests that you are trying to use Samba to print via a Microsoft OS “share”. Perhaps you could be a little more explicit about the set-up, and what you have tried to do.