Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    472

    Default Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    That's the problem: regressive bugs. When you upgrade your distro and find that the new one is leaking where the old one was not...That's so embarrassing sometimes. To give you a minor example, when I press Ctrl+Alt+K in 13.1 to switch from English to another language, the command is delayed, the hard disk starts making noise. That didn't happen in 12.3. And that's only a minor instance of regressive bugs. So annoying!
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,685
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    A bug is a feature attempting to emerge.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    A bug is a feature attempting to emerge.
    OK, I implied it was a bug, although I have not identified it so far. Thanks.
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

  4. #4

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    If I don't want plenty of bugs, I wait for another 2 months after release.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,834

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    Quote Originally Posted by riderplus View Post
    ..... when I press Ctrl+Alt+K in 13.1 to switch from English to another language, the command is delayed, .....
    Human beings have the same problem of regression. They allways fall back to the old error of describing a problem without even telling to most obvious things about he environment where a problem happens. You do this CTRL+Alt+K in the console? In a desktop environment, when yes, which one?

    For me it is The Most Annoying Thing about reporting Linux users.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Human beings have the same problem of regression. They allways fall back to the old error of describing a problem without even telling to most obvious things about he environment where a problem happens. You do this CTRL+Alt+K in the console? In a desktop environment, when yes, which one?

    For me it is The Most Annoying Thing about reporting Linux users.
    It's KDE.
    No need to turn this chit-chat into an ad hominem kinda hater discussion...I just reported what other users noticed as well. Otherwise I'm a life-time Linux fan.
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:16:01 +0000, riderplus wrote:

    > No need to turn this chit-chat into an ad hominem kinda hater
    > discussion..


    Maybe you missed the smiley? hcvv was making a joke - and IMHO a good
    one - that often Linux users (even experienced ones) describe their
    problem as "my thing's broke" without being specific enough.

    As for the issue itself, if there's a bug, reopen it and indicate that
    you see it on 13.1.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,834

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:16:01 +0000, riderplus wrote:

    > No need to turn this chit-chat into an ad hominem kinda hater
    > discussion..


    Maybe you missed the smiley? hcvv was making a joke - and IMHO a good
    one - that often Linux users (even experienced ones) describe their
    problem as "my thing's broke" without being specific enough.



    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Exactly. It occurred to me that while you bring up a subject that annoys me at least as much as you (I still have to use KDE3's PIM because the newer one has several severe regressions), at the same time you show the same regression yourself. You are a very active and valued member here. You know people can not realy give usefull information on problems where an OP does not tell whatt (s)he is using. Nevertheless you do it yourself. And that annoys me also because I have to ask at least five times a day for basic info like: "which version of openSUSE?

    I saw similarity between the two annoyances. And this being in Chitchat, I though I might ventilate this.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Exactly. It occurred to me that while you bring up a subject that annoys me at least as much as you (I still have to use KDE3's PIM because the newer one has several severe regressions), at the same time you show the same regression yourself. You are a very active and valued member here. You know people can not realy give usefull information on problems where an OP does not tell whatt (s)he is using. Nevertheless you do it yourself. And that annoys me also because I have to ask at least five times a day for basic info like: "which version of openSUSE?

    I saw similarity between the two annoyances. And this being in Chitchat, I though I might ventilate this.
    No worries. Do be, do be, do be.
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Regressive Bugs - The Most Annoying Thing About Linux-es

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:16:01 +0000, riderplus wrote:

    > No need to turn this chit-chat into an ad hominem kinda hater
    > discussion..


    Maybe you missed the smiley? hcvv was making a joke - and IMHO a good
    one - that often Linux users (even experienced ones) describe their
    problem as "my thing's broke" without being specific enough.

    As for the issue itself, if there's a bug, reopen it and indicate that
    you see it on 13.1.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Neah...I think I can live with it so far In a few months a new openSUSE release will be ready to use.
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •