Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Desktop crash

  1. #1

    Default Desktop crash

    Hello,
    I just made a fresh install of OpenSuse 13.1 (KDE), and the desktop keeps crashing (around once a day). I am sorry, but I don't really know what else to say and how to explain it. When it happens, I have Skype, Youtube and Firefox open (actually I use these guys all day long). I can work a few hours, and then Boom ! The internet connection stops working (I'm using Network Manager and a TP-Link wifi adapter), that's the first sign. I go to check up what's going on in the down-right panel, I can't click on it to open and see if my connection is fine. The thing is that at first, the skype icon just next to it still responds (I can open skype by clicking on it, left-click, etc.), I can use the other icons in the panel for a few seconds, and then it's like a contamination : the whole panel stops working, after that I can't even log out from the session... just have to reboot.
    Thank you in advance!
    Opensuse 13.1 - KDE 4.11.3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,650
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    Quote Originally Posted by franck210883 View Post
    Hello,
    I just made a fresh install of OpenSuse 13.1 (KDE), and the desktop keeps crashing (around once a day). I am sorry, but I don't really know what else to say and how to explain it. When it happens, I have Skype, Youtube and Firefox open (actually I use these guys all day long). I can work a few hours, and then Boom ! The internet connection stops working (I'm using Network Manager and a TP-Link wifi adapter), that's the first sign. I go to check up what's going on in the down-right panel, I can't click on it to open and see if my connection is fine. The thing is that at first, the skype icon just next to it still responds (I can open skype by clicking on it, left-click, etc.), I can use the other icons in the panel for a few seconds, and then it's like a contamination : the whole panel stops working, after that I can't even log out from the session... just have to reboot.
    Thank you in advance!
    Did you install any updates so far ?
    Output of
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Did you check the install media / iso download?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    I added the packman repository and did everything explained here : openSUSE 13.1 Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - Blogs - openSUSE Forums
    I also did a few things when I installed Skype, as it is suggested here : SDB:Skype - openSUSE
    Here is what zypper lr -d gives :

    Code:
    #  | Alias                     | Nom                                | Activé | Rafraîchir | Priorité | Type   | URI                                                             | Service
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+--------+------------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
     1 | libdvdcss                 | libdvdcss                          | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/13.1/                            |        
     2 | packman                   | packman                            | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/                           |        
     3 | packman-essentials        | packman-essentials                 | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_13.1/Essentials/          |        
     4 | packman-multimedia        | packman-multimedia                 | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_13.1/Multimedia/          |        
     5 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-13.1-Debug                | Non    | Oui        |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/  |        
     6 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug         | Non    | Oui        |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1/                 |        
     7 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | Non    | Oui        |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1-non-oss/         |        
     8 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-13.1-Non-Oss              | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/non-oss/    |        
     9 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-13.1-Oss                  | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/        |        
    10 | repo-source               | openSUSE-13.1-Source               | Non    | Oui        |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/ |        
    11 | repo-update               | openSUSE-13.1-Update               | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/                       |        
    12 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Non-Oss       | Oui    | Oui        |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1-non-oss/               |
    I didn't check the USB I did the installation with. The ISO file was downloaded through torrent.
    Opensuse 13.1 - KDE 4.11.3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,728
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    And your graphics adaptor?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    Code:
    franck@linux-sl4q:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
            Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7740]
            Kernel driver in use: i915
    Is that what you are talking about ?
    Opensuse 13.1 - KDE 4.11.3

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,728
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    Quote Originally Posted by franck210883 View Post
    Code:
    franck@linux-sl4q:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
            Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7740]
            Kernel driver in use: i915
    Is that what you are talking about ?
    Correct. But that should be fine.
    Though there were some bugs with the released intel drivers in 13.1, which should be OK for you if you have run the updates.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:16:02 +0000, franck210883 wrote:

    > I also did a few things when I installed Skype, as it is suggested here
    > :


    Skype blows my GNOME 3 system out of the water, too. I've uninstalled it
    and things stabilized.

    It seems that Skype isn't being updated or maintained very well for Linux
    any more.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj

    Skype blows my GNOME 3 system out of the water, too. I've uninstalled it
    and things stabilized.

    It seems that Skype isn't being updated or maintained very well for Linux
    any more.

    Jim
    I would willingly get rid of Skype too, but I really need it for work. Too bad...
    Opensuse 13.1 - KDE 4.11.3

  9. #9

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    It is happening again : It Is Happening Again - YouTube
    Is reinstalling after checking the install media the only solution?
    Opensuse 13.1 - KDE 4.11.3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: Desktop crash

    On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:36:01 +0000, franck210883 wrote:

    > hendersj Wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Skype blows my GNOME 3 system out of the water, too. I've uninstalled
    >> it and things stabilized.
    >>
    >> It seems that Skype isn't being updated or maintained very well for
    >> Linux any more.
    >>
    >> Jim

    >
    > I would willingly get rid of Skype too, but I really need it for work.
    > Too bad...


    For stuff like that that's been a problem for me, I've tended to use
    things like AndroVM and an Android virtual machine. The Citrix
    GoToMeeting app was like that for me - the Linux version didn't work very
    well, and the Windows version in a VM kept disconnecting.

    Maybe a solution like that would work for you.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •