Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

  1. #1

    Default openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    I have openSUSE 13.1 (KDE) installed an SDD with a mainboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87N-WIFI.

    In a graphical environment, when I "Leave - Shutdown" the machine quits but after 2-3 seconds reboots.

    Through the terminal, do "shutdown-h now" and restarts the same.

    Anyone else had this problem?

    How can I fix this?
    thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,671
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    Just to provide a data point: No, this is not happening for me.

    I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the interface with the power supply hardware on your system.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just to provide a data point: No, this is not happening for me.

    I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the interface with the power supply hardware on your system.
    I have a Corsair CX430 power supply properly connected.

    The "Power Management" section of the manual matherbord have no items to assist in the configuration to solve the problem ...

    I could use someone who had the same maotherbord ... for I am inclined to the problem lies in the BIOS ... and still have not found the correct configuration ...

    even with "trying and error"...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,699
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    All I can share with you is others reporting similar issues with this hardware (and other Gigabyte variants):

    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=172028

    Bug report?

  5. #5

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    All I can share with you is others reporting similar issues with this hardware (and other Gigabyte variants):

    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=172028

    Bug report?
    In my case, it was not bug. I followed a tip from "nrickert" (thanks, nrickert) and changed my power supply 450 by 650. Problem solved :-)

    My Nvidia (GTX 760) were working at the limit with the power 450 ... at least, the PCI-E needs to be fed with 500.

    Conclusion: attention to those who buy new graphic, you should always check the possible need to change power supply.

    Thanks again for the tip.

  6. #6

    Angry Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    After all, the problem with the shut down openSUSE with the mainboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87N WIFI-keeping, even with the upgrade of the power supply.

    I installed the drivers from Nvidea for my graphic (ASUS GTX760) and keeps everything in it.

    The BIOS version is the latest (F4).

    However, something which can be checked one track:If on entering the BIOS (F2 or Del) and do "save - yes" (even if you have not changed anything), after entering the openSUSE and do shutdown, the machine shuts down normally. I go again on openSUSE and I shut down the machine quits but after 2-3 seconds restart.

    This problem does not occur if you use the onboard graphics.

    I think this points to a problem with the BIOS to PCI-E ... having nothing to do with openSUSE ...

    I'll try to report back to GIGAGYTE and wait for a BIOS update ...

    (Well I could have purchased a mainboard from ASUS ... I'm nothing safisfeito with GYGAGYTE).

  7. #7

    Lightbulb Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by olyveira View Post
    After all, the problem with the shut down openSUSE with the mainboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87N WIFI-keeping, even with the upgrade of the power supply.I installed the drivers from Nvidea for my graphic (ASUS GTX760) and keeps everything in it.The BIOS version is the latest (F4). However, something which can be checked one track:If on entering the BIOS (F2 or Del) and do "save - yes" (even if you have not changed anything), after entering the openSUSE and do shutdown, the machine shuts down normally. I go again on openSUSE and I shut down the machine quits but after 2-3 seconds restart.This problem does not occur if you use the onboard graphics.I think this points to a problem with the BIOS to PCI-E ... having nothing to do with openSUSE ...I'll try to report back to GIGAGYTE and wait for a BIOS update ... (Well I could have purchased a mainboard from ASUS ... I'm nothing safisfeito with GYGAGYTE).
    Was already despairing with the machine do not properly shutdown ...

    By default, the Wake-up LAN is enabled in BIOS (Power Manegement).

    As I have a Synology NAS configured for my private network, the "trickster" is sending packets to the network and enables me to Linux machine after doing this shutdown.

    I disabled the Wake-up LAN and everything works as expected.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA. USA
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    olyveira wrote:

    >
    > olyveira;2610254 Wrote:
    >> After all, the problem with the shut down openSUSE with the mainboard
    >> GIGABYTE GA-Z87N WIFI-keeping, even with the upgrade of the power
    >> supply.I installed the drivers from Nvidea for my graphic (ASUS
    >> GTX760) and keeps everything in it.The BIOS version is the latest
    >> (F4). However, something which can be checked one track:If on
    >> entering the BIOS (F2 or Del) and do "save - yes" (even if you have
    >> not changed anything), after entering the openSUSE and do shutdown,
    >> the machine shuts down normally. I go again on openSUSE and I shut
    >> down the machine quits but after 2-3 seconds restart.This problem
    >> does not occur if you use the onboard graphics.I think this points to
    >> a problem with the BIOS to PCI-E ... having nothing to do with
    >> openSUSE ...I'll try to report back to GIGAGYTE and wait for a BIOS
    >> update ... (Well I could have purchased a mainboard from ASUS ... I'm
    >> nothing safisfeito with GYGAGYTE).Was already despairing with the
    >> machine do not properly shutdown ... By

    > default, the Wake-up LAN is enabled in BIOS (Power Manegement). As I
    > have a Synology NAS configured for my private network, the "trickster"
    > is sending packets to the network and enables me to Linux machine
    > after doing this shutdown.I disabled the Wake-up LAN) and everything
    > works as expected.
    >

    I replaced an older Intel motherboard with a GIGABYTE Z87-D3HP a month
    ago. With this new board and the old power supply ANTEC 550 Watt[UPS
    reports it as 780 Watt]) it is the first time since 12.1 came out that I
    can shutdown my system. Even 12.3 shuts down now. Didn't on old mother
    board. My BIOS is a MegaTrend.

    Are you using the Leave Icon to exit. Is it set to default to reboot or
    shutdown.

    look at:
    CODE:
    ----------
    Desktop Config --> System Administration --> Startup and Shutdown -->
    Session Mangement --> Default leave Option.
    ----------
    Make sure its set correct.

    the other thing that was suggested was to make sure your BIOS is up
    todate.

    Russ
    --
    openSUSE 13.1 (3.11.6-4-desktop)| GIGABYTE Z87-D3HP (Intel(R)
    Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz)|8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS
    (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20)|KDE 4.12.0


  9. #9

    Lightbulb Re: openSUSE 13.1 does not shut down, reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post

    I replaced an older Intel motherboard with a GIGABYTE Z87-D3HP a month
    ago. With this new board and the old power supply ANTEC 550 Watt[UPS
    reports it as 780 Watt]) it is the first time since 12.1 came out that I
    can shutdown my system. Even 12.3 shuts down now. Didn't on old mother
    board. My BIOS is a MegaTrend.

    Are you using the Leave Icon to exit. Is it set to default to reboot or
    shutdown.

    look at:
    CODE:
    ----------
    Desktop Config --> System Administration --> Startup and Shutdown -->
    Session Mangement --> Default leave Option.
    ----------
    Make sure its set correct.

    the other thing that was suggested was to make sure your BIOS is up
    todate.

    Russ
    --
    openSUSE 13.1 (3.11.6-4-desktop)| GIGABYTE Z87-D3HP (Intel(R)
    Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz)|8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS
    (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20)|KDE 4.12.0

    My system consists of:

    GIGABYTE GA-H87N-WIFI (not Z as wrongly posted),
    G.Skill 16GB DDR3 RAM,
    Kingston V300 240GB SSD (7 seconds to load openSUSE!)
    N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2 + Modem Router TD-W8980,
    JetStream 16-Port Gigabit L2 Managed Switch with 2 Combo SFP Slots TL-SG3216,
    and Synology DS-211 +.

    Default sutdown in Desktop Settings -> System Administration -> Startup and Shutdown -> Session Mangement -> Default Option leave, is ok ("Turn off computer").

    The problem was that the system after shut down, rebooted ...

    The solution I found was to disable the BIOS to "Wake on LAN" option (in "Power Management") that was in default "enabled".

    Thereafter, the system already contains it should be.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •