Unable to set global shortcut for Fn keys!

I tried in openSUSE to set a global shortcut for the function keys, but it’s not reading the press of the “Fn” key. If I press the “Ctrl” button, it reads that, but the function key is never read by it.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Open Kickoff Menu
  2. Configure Desktop
  3. SHortcuts and Gestures
  4. Custom Shortcuts
  5. Create New -> Global Shortcut -> Command/URL
  6. Click “trigger” tab
  7. Click “None” button
  8. Press “Fn” + “F9”

Nothing happens.

openSUSE 13.1
Samsung Series 9 NP900x4C computer

IIRC, it’s always been that way. I encountered similar with openSUSE 12.2, KDE 4.8 whereby a (kernel?) regression meant that my screen brightness keys (fn+9,fn+10) weren’t working. My workaround was to create keyboard shortcuts for ‘KDE Daemon’. I had the same limitation and had to assign CTRL+9, CTRL+10 instead.

Thanks! I thought it was possible because Jos Poortvliet (who works for openSUSE) mentioned it:
all mine!: Linux and the Samsung Series 9 NP900X3C

Of course, you now want to assign the brightnes keys (Fn F9 and Fn F10) to these actions. The easiest way is to go to the KDE systemsettings and open ‘Shortcuts and Gestures’. Then follow these steps (or import the khotkeys file I created instead):

Create a new global shortcut (on the bottom: edit > new > global shortcut > command/URL
) and call it ‘backlight off’

[LIST=1]As trigger, assign the Fn-F9 key

As Action, add this (all on one line):

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/samsung/leds/samsung::kbd_backlight/brightness; kdialog --title ‘keyboard backlight’ --passivepopup ‘off’ 1

create a second global shortcut, call it backlight on, and give it this Action:

echo 8 > /sys/devices/platform/samsung/leds/samsung::kbd_backlight/brightness; kdialog --title ‘keyboard backlight’ --passivepopup ‘on’ 1

The keys should now work.

[/LIST]

Hello,

i have a Samsung 900X3F running suse 13.1 .
I haven’t this path existing:
/sys/devices/platform/samsung/leds/
Any idea ?

Thanks