Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    I downloaded and burned the DVD install for 13.1 and selected the upgrade option, as I have ever since it was available. Normally, I get video problems because I have to re-install the nvidia driver "the hard way." I keep known working versions of the nvidia driver in case the latest doesn't work. This time the nvidia install doesn't work.

    I drop to init 3 and run the installer and at the very end it fails with this message:

    /lib/Modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build/include/linux/version.h is missing and maybe that is because the kernel source files are missing.

    I did not include kernel source files repo at the upgrade. I added it but don't know how to fix the above problem. Also, I cannot add the nvidia repo to see if replacing nvidia files will help. I would try the nouveau driver but don't know how to get it installed. I thought if I delete the nvidia files, the nouveau would be forced into action. But now, yast won't start.

    To further complicate things, grub shows that I am running 12.3 but everything I check says I am running 13.1 "Bottle" so I figure editing grub will fix it. Grub also doesn't show me a console boot, so I have to drop to init 3 after boot. I am running in "failsafe" so I assume that means nomodeset. That makes the computer run so slow it is barely usable.

    I ran the DVD upgrade twice, hoping that might fix things. I also have a Live DVD which I am tempted to use for a 3 install. Please help me sort this out.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

  2. #2

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    Which exact version of the driver are you trying to install?
    You need 331.20 or 304.116, older ones don't work with kernel 3.11 as included in openSUSE 13.1.

    I'm not sure which exact packages you need to have installed, but check that you have those:
    kernel-source, kernel-devel, kernel-desktop-devel, kernel-syms, make, gcc.

    Not all of them may be needed.

    And there's no special repo needed for those, they are contained in the standard OSS repo.

    PS: Regarding the boot loader still saying 12.3: This is a known "problem". Just change the Vendor string in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    On 2013-12-16 19:06, Prexy wrote:

    > I ran the DVD upgrade twice, hoping that might fix things. I also have a
    > Live DVD which I am tempted to use for a 3 install. Please help me sort
    > this out.


    No.

    As the DVD is too small, it can not contain the entire OSS repository
    and the Offline System Upgrade procedure can not upgrade everything. You
    have to run after it completes, this:

    Code:
    zypper dup
    zypper up
    zypper patch
    Make sure you only have the 4 official repos active before running that.
    Then, verify:

    Code:
    rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME};%{INSTALLTIME:day}; \
    %{BUILDTIME:day}; %{NAME};%{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE};%{arch}; \
    %{VENDOR};%{PACKAGER};%{DISTRIBUTION};%{DISTTAG}\n" \
    | sort | cut --fields="2-" --delimiter=\; \
    | tee rpmlist.csv | less -S
    
    or
    
    rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
    %{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}\t%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}\t%{arch} \
    %25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}\n" \
    | sort | cut --fields="2-" | tee rpmlist | less -S
    And after that, run "rcrpmconfigcheck" and verify the resulting list of
    config files. I suggest backing up both the active and the old/new file
    somewhere, and then edit both with "meld". Choose what to keep or not of
    the config.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I downloaded and burned the DVD install for 13.1 and selected the upgrade option, as I have ever since it was available. Normally, I get video problems because I have to re-install the nvidia driver "the hard way." I keep known working versions of the nvidia driver in case the latest doesn't work. This time the nvidia install doesn't work.
    Launch Yast, launch Software Management, search for nvidia (it is now in the OpenSUSE repositories), then choose the appropriate one for your card and install.

    You should probably then be able to boot normally.

    -fb

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    nVidia drivers are here:

    ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/

    For most of us, they are in the i586 directory.

    -fb

  6. #6

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    nVidia drivers are here:

    ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/

    For most of us, they are in the i586 directory.
    You should add that repo in YaST->Software Repositories (it is even listed there in the Community Repos list, just click "Add" and choose "Community Repositories).
    Then install the driver with YaST, it picks the correct subdirectories itself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You should add that repo in YaST->Software Repositories (it is even listed there in the Community Repos list, just click "Add" and choose "Community Repositories).
    Then install the driver with YaST, it picks the correct subdirectories itself.
    Correct. That is the way I did it.

    However, I threw in the link, because that repository wasn't working/available for about a day until late (in my time-zone) last night, and it had just came back alive shortly before I posted the link.

    -fb

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    Thank you for all the tips. I could not get online and when I did, I forgot my forum password!

    I used another pc to get the only nvidia driver wolfi323 listed but couldn't get it into the troubled computer. I was unable to get the driver from the repo until I tried again after FRASER_BELL noted the repo has just become available. I downloaded the only driver in the repo that was in wolfi's tip. My card is a 7600 GS and is not supposed to work with the latest driver. However, installing it got me past the opensuse logo screen for the first time!

    I got only a text login and startx did not work. So next I tried Robin-Lista's advice to zypper dup. There were 384 updates! That scared me, thinking it might end up wiping my home dir. Instead, I did zypper up and got the same 384 updates. That is working its way through right now. When it finishes, I will do the zypper patch and see what I get. I'll report when that is done.

    Thanks again.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,288

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    startx is depreciated. and will not work for a user anymore become root and run init 5 to start the GUI

  10. #10

    Default Re: Update to 13.1 breaks nvidia

    Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I downloaded the only driver in the repo that was in wolfi's tip. My card is a 7600 GS and is not supposed to work with the latest driver. However, installing it got me past the opensuse logo screen for the first time!
    No. There is more than one driver in that repo.
    Which driver did you install?
    The G03 is a bad idea, since as you say yourself it doesn't support your card.

    You need the G02 driver.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •