Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD My Cloud

Exclamation WD My Cloud

Hi, I just ordered a 2TB My Cloud. I am pretty sure I can work it around in oS even though it will not have the bells and whistles of Win and Mac. So this is a new product where you have your own cloud instead of going with on online service.

My Cloud

I am wondering if I can use Filezilla with it?
    Linux since 2008

Blog Entries

Default Re: WD My Cloud

Uh?
    This is special ... how?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

It looked interesting, so I went and read through the users manual. From what I could tell, you *may* need to use a win/mac machine to use their proprietary software to setup the device initially. It wasn't clear whether it was the software that you used to configure it, or the web interface so you might have an issue there.

From there, it looks like it just serves up an smb share, so you should be able to mount it within your Linux system once you set it up and add users to it. It also serves up DLNA content, so you should be able to interface with a music client as well depending on which one you use.

As far as filezilla goes, I couldn't find any reference at all to ftp/sftp/ssh support. So most likely just an smb share.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Uh?
    This is special ... how?
    Instead of putting my files on the WWW I can store them in my own special HD, and access them from any device like you do with dropbox, but I have the files store in my office not on dropbox servers. Where do you want your files stored?
    Linux since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by alinarimogresh View Post
    It looked interesting, so I went and read through the users manual. From what I could tell, you *may* need to use a win/mac machine to use their proprietary software to setup the device initially. It wasn't clear whether it was the software that you used to configure it, or the web interface so you might have an issue there.

From there, it looks like it just serves up an smb share, so you should be able to mount it within your Linux system once you set it up and add users to it. It also serves up DLNA content, so you should be able to interface with a music client as well depending on which one you use.

As far as filezilla goes, I couldn't find any reference at all to ftp/sftp/ssh support. So most likely just an smb share.
    I can use my XP virtualbox if needed, and a web browser to work with files as well?
    Linux since 2008

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rdonnelly2001 View Post
    Instead of putting my files on the WWW I can store them in my own special HD, and access them from any device like you do with dropbox, but I have the files store in my office not on dropbox servers. Where do you want your files stored?
    You are quite correct that I use dropbox, but only for stuff related to guides and help on the forums and there is obviously a hard copy on my server and all other dropbox connected devices.
    I don't and wouldn't store any of my private/personal files in a cloud.
    In any case. What you describe is a means of syncing your files between devices and your files may or may not be any safer?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

You are quite correct that I use dropbox, but only for stuff related to guides and help on the forums and there is obviously a hard copy on my server and all other dropbox connected devices.
    I don't and wouldn't store any of my private/personal files in a cloud.
    In any case. What you describe is a means of syncing your files between devices and your files may or may not be any safer?
    1 I have the server, not the dropbox employees, it only takes one bad one to look at your data.
    2 $145.00 one time for 2TB of storage vs

Dropbox Dropbox Pro Dropbox for Business
    Price Free $99 / user / year $795 / year for 5 users
    $125 / additional user / year
    Storage 2 GB 100 GB As much as needed

3 Are you saying that WD My Cloud with 128 bit encryption can be easily compromised?
    4 I use dropbox, and I do not put sensitive data on there either.
    Linux since 2008

Blog Entries

I agree that it's a viable option for OS X and PC users but if you don't use those OS's I can't see it being much better than a big HD

Reviews are quite +
    Though most suggest it still needs to be backed up regardless of it's restore feature. Some suggest a cloud option would be good (lol).
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I agree that it's a viable option for OS X and PC users but if you don't use those OS's I can't see it being much better than a big HD

Reviews are quite +
    Though most suggest it still needs to be backed up regardless of it's restore feature. Some suggest a cloud option would be good (lol).
    If I did not have an Android, and a Notebook, then the big hard drive would be fine. Just another way to be portable.
    Linux since 2008

Actually, I am getting a free 3TB one from my Citibank rewards, so online storage can never touch that.
    Linux since 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast