Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How install r8168 ethernet driver when can't connect?

Default How install r8168 ethernet driver when can't connect?

Hello:

I have just installed a "new" Gigabyte motherboard, which I chose for the floppy drive port which seems to have disappeared from every other board on the planet.

Unfortunately, this board uses the Realtek RRTL8111/8168B PCI Express Ethernet controller (rev 06), and the kernel-supplied driver is r8169, which does not work with this controller.

So I have no way to go online with this machine to "update" or install an r8168 driver.

I have downloaded the r8168-8.037.00.tar.bz2 file,
    Realtek
    using my son's XP box, but other than "un-tarring" it, don't know what to do with it.

I found some instructions:
    The pain of an Realtek (RTL8111/RTL8168) ethernet card | unixblogger
    but they seem to be specifically for Ubuntu or Debian. Since I know just enough to know that different flavors of Linux use differently named files and store them in different locations, I am just lost, "dead in the water".

After installing the motherboard (with the help of a computer tech in the neighborhood) I have done a clean install of opensuse 12.3 from a live CD, but of course no additonal files can be downloaded, so no "Yast".

I know just enough to navigate and follow instructions, but other than that, pretty much depend on the gui, so the question is:

How do I use the cli in *opensuse* to install the r8168 driver with default functions supplied by the "live" CD?

Is there an already existing step-by-step stupid-proof guide for this operation?

O Obi Wans, you are my only hope....

Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, 8GB DDR3-1333,
    openSUSE-12.3-KDE-x86_64, KDE 4.1, sda=80GB Ext4, sdb=500GB Ext4.
    I do not know the kernel version.

Default Re: How install r8168 ethernet driver when can't connect?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillium View Post
    Hello:

I have just installed a "new" Gigabyte motherboard, which I chose for the floppy drive port which seems to have disappeared from every other board on the planet.

Unfortunately, this board uses the Realtek RRTL8111/8168B PCI Express Ethernet controller (rev 06), and the kernel-supplied driver is r8169, which does not work with this controller.

So I have no way to go online with this machine to "update" or install an r8168 driver.

I have downloaded the r8168-8.037.00.tar.bz2 file,
    Realtek
    using my son's XP box, but other than "un-tarring" it, don't know what to do with it.

I found some instructions:
    The pain of an Realtek (RTL8111/RTL8168) ethernet card | unixblogger
    but they seem to be specifically for Ubuntu or Debian. Since I know just enough to know that different flavors of Linux use differently named files and store them in different locations, I am just lost, "dead in the water".

After installing the motherboard (with the help of a computer tech in the neighborhood) I have done a clean install of opensuse 12.3 from a live CD, but of course no additonal files can be downloaded, so no "Yast".

I know just enough to navigate and follow instructions, but other than that, pretty much depend on the gui, so the question is:

How do I use the cli in *opensuse* to install the r8168 driver with default functions supplied by the "live" CD?

Is there an already existing step-by-step stupid-proof guide for this operation?

O Obi Wans, you are my only hope....

Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, 8GB DDR3-1333,
    openSUSE-12.3-KDE-x86_64, KDE 4.1, sda=80GB Ext4, sdb=500GB Ext4.
    I do not know the kernel version.
    Hello,

well it is no to much complicated,

1. open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -t pattern  devel_basis devel_C_C++ devel_kernel
    2. when installation was finish follow instruction from your post, EXCEPT pt.8!
    3. if no errors, you are done, restart computer and enjoy with openSuse

regards

Czeslaw M

Quote Originally Posted by cmruk View Post
    Hello,

well it is no to much complicated,

1. open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -t pattern  devel_basis devel_C_C++ devel_kernel
    2. when installation was finish follow instruction from your post, EXCEPT pt.8!
    3. if no errors, you are done, restart computer and enjoy with openSuse

regards

Czeslaw M

Hi cmruk/Czeslaw (?):

The kernel provides the r8169 driver, which doesn't work.

Also, the suse nic repository only provides old versions.

I thought zypper was dependent on configured repositories; I can't even see my router.

No Yast, no zypper.

I need the steps for installation from an already downloaded r8168 driver file in the opensuse cli.

Sigh....

Hi cmruk/Czeslaw (?):

The kernel provides the r8169 driver, which doesn't work.

Also, the suse nic repository only provides old versions.

I thought zypper was dependent on configured repositories; I can't even see my router.

No Yast, no zypper.

I need the steps for installation from an already downloaded r8168 driver file in the opensuse cli.

Sigh....
    Hi,

have you finish install openSuse??
    you don't need go online, installer add automatically local repositories from installation source and you are able to install building/developing tools from this media.

You already post step instruction inside your first post ahh the 'zypper' command is replaced p2. 'apt-get' from this instruction, i mean code posted inside my first reply is replace p2 from this guide.

Regards

Czeslaw M.

Hello,

you have to download using XP box DVD iso, not a Live iso version, sorry i dont read carefully your first post.

Regards

Czeslaw M.

Hello,

you have to download using XP box DVD iso, not a Live iso version, sorry i dont read carefully your first post.

Regards

Czeslaw M.
    Hi Czeslaw:

Well, duh! - I completely forgot about the DVD iso option!

I'm currently in the middle of 2nd try at downloading the opensuse 13.1 DVD - the downloader says I have about 12 more hours to go - again.

Meanwhile, do you say that the instructions given in The pain of an Realtek (RTL8111/RTL8168) ethernet card | unixblogger for Ubuntu/Debian, with commands like "apt-get install build-essential", etc. are the same as, and will work the same, in openSUSE?

I don't know if commands are common to all distibution flavors or not, and want to be sure I'm doing things the correct way for openSUSE.

Again, thank you for the advice and for "hanging in" with me. I'll be back here again when I finish getting a good download and have installed v13.1. It'll have to be another clean install since the opensuse page no longer provides 12.3.

Hi Czeslaw:

Well, duh! - I completely forgot about the DVD iso option!

I'm currently in the middle of 2nd try at downloading the opensuse 13.1 DVD - the downloader says I have about 12 more hours to go - again.

Meanwhile, do you say that the instructions given in The pain of an Realtek (RTL8111/RTL8168) ethernet card | unixblogger for Ubuntu/Debian, with commands like "apt-get install build-essential", etc. are the same as, and will work the same, in openSUSE?

I don't know if commands are common to all distribution flavors or not, and want to be sure I'm doing things the correct way for openSUSE.

Again, thank you for the advice and for "hanging in" with me. I'll be back here again when I finish getting a good download and have installed v13.1. It'll have to be another clean install since the opensuse page no longer provides 12.3.
    Hello,

i adopt this instruction to step by step for opensuse

1. Get root privileges, open terminal, type “su” 'enter' root pass 'enter' you will see red leather in command prompt
    2. Get the requirements
    To build and install the driver, we need the kernel headers and the build tools like gcc. To get them, just easily type in a terminal:
    zypper in -t pattern devel_basis devel_C_C++ devel_kernel
    3. Get the driver
    Now, go to the official download page from Realtek for the Linux/UNIX Driver for the RTL8111/RTL8168 ethernet card and download the latest driver version.
    Link: Realtek Download Page

4. Untar the archive
    The driver is compressed to an archive. So uncompress it with the following command:
    tar xfvj r8168-8.025.00.tar.bz2
    NOTE: Please do not forget to replace the “r8168-8.025.00.tar.bz2″ with the driver version which you have downloaded!
    5. Blacklist old driver
    We have to blacklist the old driver (r8169) to prevent the system to load it. To do this, easily set a new entry in “/etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf” which is called:
    blacklist r8169
    or just enter in the terminal again
    echo “blacklist r8169″ >> /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf
    to do this in only one command.
    6. Build and install the new driver
    Now, the whole requirements to install the new driver are done. Let us now change in the driver directory, which we have uncompressed in a few steps before:
    cd r8168-8.025.00
    NOTE: Again, please do not forget, to change “r8168-8.025.00″ to the version which you have downloaded.
    The only think we have to do now is, to build the driver and install it. To build it, just type:
    make clean modules
    after a few seconds (depending on your CPU), the driver is build and you can install it with:
    make install
    7. Welcome r8168
    One of our last steps is, to let the system know about the r8168 driver. With the command
    depmod -a
    you rebuild the kernel module dependencies
    8. type exit 'enter' to close terminal

when all steps run without error's, reboot Pc and your net comes up (lest hope)

regards

Czeslaw M.

Hello,

i adopt this instruction to step by step for opensuse

[snip]

when all steps run without error's, reboot Pc and your net comes up (lest hope)

regards

Czeslaw M.
    Czeslaw:

Thank you so much! When I get the download completed & the new version loaded, I'll let you know how (and if) everything worked out.

O.K.: I have installed a fresh copy of opensuse 13.1 from the DVD and begun the process of changing the nic driver. I got to the the step:
    Code:
    make clean modules
    and got:
    Code:
    If 'make' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to look up the package that contains it, like this: 
    cnf make

The program 'make' can be found in the following package:
      * make [path: /usr/bin/make, repository: zypp (opensuse-13-1-1.1)]

Try installing with:
        zypper install make
    Since I have no connection, so no zypper, I set the install DVD up as a repo and used Yast to install "make". When I tried:
    Code:
    make clean modules
    I got:
    Code:
    make: *** No rule to make target 'clean'.  Stop.
    So no connection, no zypper, no "rule to make target 'clean'".

Arrgh.

What can I do? Does a place exist where I can download the functions that I need to do this, that I could set as a local repo?

Blog Entries

O.K.: I have installed a fresh copy of opensuse 13.1 from the DVD and begun the process of changing the nic driver. I got to the the step:
    Code:
    make clean modules
    and got:
    Code:
    If 'make' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to look up the package that contains it, like this: 
    cnf make

The program 'make' can be found in the following package:
      * make [path: /usr/bin/make, repository: zypp (opensuse-13-1-1.1)]

Try installing with:
        zypper install make
    Since I have no connection, so no zypper, I set the install DVD up as a repo and used Yast to install "make". When I tried:
    Code:
    make clean modules
    I got:
    Code:
    make: *** No rule to make target 'clean'.  Stop.
    So no connection, no zypper, no "rule to make target 'clean'".

Arrgh.

What can I do? Does a place exist where I can download the functions that I need to do this, that I could set as a local repo?
    Seeing you go through all this, knowing that 13.1 has a quite recent kernel, I'd like to make sure that you're on the right path. Please post output of
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    Honestly, I see too many driver compile attempts where it's no more than a matter of proper configuration.

EDIT:
    BTW, it should be
    Code:
    make
    or
    Code:
    make modules
    or something like that, not
    Code:
    make clean modules
    Last edited by Knurpht; 18-Dec-2013 at 07:38.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast