Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51

    Default WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    I am sorry to bother the forum with this error, but I have tried to read wifi threads and google about this error with no result

    The wifi adaptor is a D-link USB dongle, model DWL-G122 connected to my HP Compaq 6910p laptop running KDE 13.1. The internal wifi is disabled in BIOS because it is not working any more.

    As fare I can see in the dmesg /messages-file the usb dongle is found and the rt73usb driver is loaded.

    lsusb says:
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 07d1:3c03 D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W]

    And rt73usb is found in the kernel with: lsmod |grep rt73usb
    rt73usb 30986 0
    rt2x00usb 20041 1 rt73usb
    rt2x00lib 53042 2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb
    crc_itu_t 12627 2 rt73usb,firewire_core
    usbcore 206447 6 rt73usb,rt2x00usb,usbhid,uhci_hcd,ehci_pci,ehci_hcd

    But only my wired network adaptor shows up in Networkmanager, and no wifi or enable wifi is possible :-(

    I have a paste of my messages file here:
    SUSE Paste

    Say if the forum needs more information, and I hope you can help me

    Jan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by janoleholm View Post
    I am sorry to bother the forum with this error, but I have tried to read wifi threads and google about this error with no result

    The wifi adaptor is a D-link USB dongle, model DWL-G122 connected to my HP Compaq 6910p laptop running KDE 13.1. The internal wifi is disabled in BIOS because it is not working any more.

    As fare I can see in the dmesg /messages-file the usb dongle is found and the rt73usb driver is loaded.

    lsusb says:
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 07d1:3c03 D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W]

    And rt73usb is found in the kernel with: lsmod |grep rt73usb
    rt73usb 30986 0
    rt2x00usb 20041 1 rt73usb
    rt2x00lib 53042 2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb
    crc_itu_t 12627 2 rt73usb,firewire_core
    usbcore 206447 6 rt73usb,rt2x00usb,usbhid,uhci_hcd,ehci_pci,ehci_hcd

    But only my wired network adaptor shows up in Networkmanager, and no wifi or enable wifi is possible :-(

    I have a paste of my messages file here:
    SUSE Paste

    Say if the forum needs more information, and I hope you can help me

    Jan
    Hi, could you please post the output, between CODE tags, the # in the editor, of the commands below,
    Code:
    lsusb -t
    and
    Code:
    ip addr
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    BTW: I'd also give the internal wificard another shot. You wouldn't be the first one to find out the card works, was just missing some firmware and the appropriate driver. 13,1 has a newer kernel which could also make a difference.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    Maybe I forgot to write that I am working on a new installation (not upgrade)

    I think some progress has happened :-)

    I checked in Yast that NM was running the network and not ifup. I didn't change to ifup. Just canceled again. I have also done one or two rebooting. And now WLAN Interface is showed in NM applet. But it greyed out together with Enable wireless.

    In Manages Connection I have tried to Add a new connection with the same contents as another laptop, which is runing the same 13.1 but internal wifi adaptor. So SSID and security /WPA2 personal are all the same. I have tried dhcp or manual IPV4, but nothing helps. What more is tried, is to use "Restrict to Inerface: wlp0s29f7u1.

    I found this in end of the NM log:
    (wlp0s29f7u1): device state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10 20 2]
    but not sure what it means and if thats the error.

    I paste the NM log, but don't look at the buttom, because I tried different things.
    SUSE Paste

    Jan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    Sorry our replies passed each other.

    I will come back in a moment with the information you want.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by janoleholm View Post
    Maybe I forgot to write that I am working on a new installation (not upgrade)

    I think some progress has happened :-)

    I checked in Yast that NM was running the network and not ifup. I didn't change to ifup. Just canceled again. I have also done one or two rebooting. And now WLAN Interface is showed in NM applet. But it greyed out together with Enable wireless.

    In Manages Connection I have tried to Add a new connection with the same contents as another laptop, which is runing the same 13.1 but internal wifi adaptor. So SSID and security /WPA2 personal are all the same. I have tried dhcp or manual IPV4, but nothing helps. What more is tried, is to use "Restrict to Inerface: wlp0s29f7u1.

    I found this in end of the NM log:
    (wlp0s29f7u1): device state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10 20 2]
    but not sure what it means and if thats the error.

    I paste the NM log, but don't look at the buttom, because I tried different things.
    SUSE Paste

    Jan
    Looks like the driver is there, and OK, but the radio switch is switched of by the hardware.

    Install
    Code:
    zypper in rfkill
    , then run
    Code:
    rfkill list
    If one of the options says "yes", unblock the index no, see example from my laptop
    Code:
    laptop:~ # rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: yes
    1: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: no
    laptop:~ # rfkill unblock 1
    laptop:~ # rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    1: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    After the first command my wifi stops working immediately, after the second it comes back up .
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Looks like the driver is there, and OK, but the radio switch is switched of by the hardware.

    Install
    Code:
    zypper in rfkill
    , then run
    Code:
    rfkill list
    If one of the options says "yes", unblock the index no, see example from my laptop
    Code:
    laptop:~ # rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: yes
    1: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: no
    laptop:~ # rfkill unblock 1
    laptop:~ # rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    1: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    After the first command my wifi stops working immediately, after the second it comes back up .
    I tried this:

    Code:
    rfkill list
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: yes
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    2: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: yes
    3: hp-gps: GPS
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: yes
    linux-rsxz:/home/kjersti # rfkill unblock 0
    linux-rsxz:/home/kjersti # rfkill list
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: yes
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    2: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: yes
    3: hp-gps: GPS
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: yes
    But it didn't come up :-(

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    Here are info to your ealier questions:
    Code:
    lsusb -t
    /:  Bus 07.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
    /:  Bus 06.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    /:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=, 12M
    /:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    /:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    /:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/6p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rt73usb, 480M
    /:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/4p, 480M
    
    ip addr
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN 
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:1e:ec:a2:9b:06 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 192.168.1.48/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global enp0s25
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 fe80::21e:ecff:fea2:9b06/64 scope link 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    3: wlp0s29f7u1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:15:e9:33:f7:d8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    It not possibly to get the internal wifi adaptor running because some nasty liquid ran down into the internal part of the touch bottum that enable wifi :-(
    Unless there some trick to do a sw activate of the internal wifi passing the buttom?
    I have tried earlier to search this possibility without luck :-(

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    What does
    Code:
    nm-tool
    say
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: WLAN Unavailable in NM - openSUSE 13.1

    On 12/12/2013 09:16 AM, janoleholm wrote:
    > It not possibly to get the internal wifi adaptor running because some
    > nasty liquid ran down into the internal part of the touch bottum that
    > enable wifi :-(
    > Unless there some trick to do a sw activate of the internal wifi passing
    > the buttom?
    > I have tried earlier to search this possibility without luck :-(


    If this information had been in your first posting, we could have gotten it
    resolved more quickly. It seems that the defective switch is locked in the "Off"
    position. The way the radio-kill process works, if *any* radio is blocked, then
    *all* radios are blocked.

    From the rfkill listing, you need to identify what driver is loaded for the
    built-in wireless card and blacklist it. You can find the driver with
    "/sbin/lspci -nnv". Once you know that info, create a new file in
    /etc/modprobe.d/ with the name "50-wireless.conf" containing a line "blacklist
    name_of_driver". Just to be clear, substitute the actual name of the driver in
    that line.

    After rebooting, again run the rfkill listing. If the Bluetooth and GPS entries
    are still blocked, then we will need to find the drivers used there. If that is
    the case, please post the output of lsmod.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •