Adding fonts?

Hi,
I think, but could be wrong, that I can add fonts by adding the fonts to a folder called .fonts in my home directory. Firstly is that correct and secondly would fonts from my windows pc such as ariel which I like to use work if I put it in that folder? I would hope that the added fonts would be available for libre office word. Can I add any fonts I like into the .fonts folder?

Regards Steve

If you need just MS fonts you can install the fetchmsfonts package using YaST, zypper or 1-click install: software.opensuse.org:

Otherwise yes, just place the font in .fonts folder and then run

fc-cache -vf

from a terminal emulator (like Konsole)

If you are curious, you can read more about fonts under Linux from here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts#Manual_installation

On 12/11/2013 07:46 AM, steveis2 wrote:
…]
> and secondly would fonts from my windows pc such as ariel which I like
> to use work if I put it in that folder? I would hope that the added
> fonts would be available for libre office word. Can I add any fonts I
> like into the .fonts folder?
…]

The package ‘fetchmsttfonts’ comes with openSUSE 13.1. Look for it and
use it to install MicroSoft Core TrueType fonts, for all users on your
system.

Unless you have a very good reason for doing so, you should install fonts as system fonts; the MS fonts will automatically be installed as system fonts.

If you have downloaded some fonts that are not available from openSUSE, keep the downloads in your /home directory but install them as system fonts. Then, if you reinstall or move to another machine, you won’t have to go searching for them again; you can simply reinstall them as system fonts from your /home directory.