Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation

Default call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation

Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new at OpenSUSE and I have just had my first big problem: i can't log in with my account, as when trying to log in it brings up an error saying "cannot enter home directory, Using /." and right after another error is brought up saying "call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation".
    Last thing I did that before it broke was installing vsftpd looking at a webpage, but it seemed to be working properly. They I was looking a video on the internet and the computer got frozen and had to restart the computer by the bad way.
    If tried all kind of
    sudo chmod 777 /var/tmp
    etc comands on the web, all the people with this problem I found seemed to solve the problem with this but its not my case.
    What can i do? I don't know what else to do, i though about restoring it but opensuse doesn't make by default backups.

PD: i still have access to the computer by a user that i created to test the ftp, could i just delete the main user, change the name to the test one and keep using it as normal? I'm really desperate right know...
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation

Quote Originally Posted by qdsk View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new at OpenSUSE and I have just had my first big problem: i can't log in with my account, as when trying to log in it brings up an error saying "cannot enter home directory, Using /." and right after another error is brought up saying "call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation".
    Last thing I did that before it broke was installing vsftpd looking at a webpage, but it seemed to be working properly. They I was looking a video on the internet and the computer got frozen and had to restart the computer by the bad way.
    If tried all kind of
    sudo chmod 777 /var/tmp
    etc comands on the web, all the people with this problem I found seemed to solve the problem with this but its not my case.
    What can i do? I don't know what else to do, i though about restoring it but opensuse doesn't make by default backups.

PD: i still have access to the computer by a user that i created to test the ftp, could i just delete the main user, change the name to the test one and keep using it as normal? I'm really desperate right know...
    Thanks in advance
    Check that you own all files in your home directory, especially in ~/.kde4, and that the directories are writable.
    Code:
    ls -la ~/.kde4
    Btw, you can choose a different desktop session on the login screen (press on the wrench or gear symbol). IceWM f.e. should be available and still work.

Default Re: call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation

sudo chmod 777 /var/tmp
    I hope you took notes on all these sort of things you did to wreck your system. And even then it will be difficult to repair them.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Checkyour installation

On 2013-12-11 01:06, qdsk wrote:
    >
    > Hi everyone,
    > I'm pretty new at OpenSUSE and I have just had my first big problem: i
    > can't log in with my account, as when trying to log in it brings up an
    > error saying "cannot enter home directory, Using /." and right after
    > another error is brought up saying "call to lnusertemp failed
    > (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation".

There are two errors. The first one is that for some reason the system
    can not use your home. Then it tries to use "/" instead, which fails
    because it has no permissions there, so you get the second error, which
    is thus irrelevant.

> If tried all kind of
    > sudo chmod 777 /var/tmp
    > etc comands on the web, all the people with this problem I found seemed
    > to solve the problem with this but its not my case.
    > What can i do? I don't know what else to do, i though about restoring it
    > but opensuse doesn't make by default backups.

Undo all you did? Then we try.

Backup your files somewhere and reinstall?

Create new user? Dangerous if you can not undo all the things you did
    following unknown advice on internet.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Thanks everyone for your answers.
    Check that you own all files in your home directory, especially in ~/.kde4, and that the directories are writable.
    Code:
    ls -la ~/.kde4

Btw, you can choose a different desktop session on the login screen (press on the wrench or gear symbol). IceWM f.e. should be available and still work.
    I'll try this command and tell you what it brings up.

I hope you took notes on all these sort of things you did to wreck your system. And even then it will be difficult to repair them.
    I didn't but I saved the website where they were, it was Setup FTP Server On openSUSE 13.1 | Unixmen. I remember I additionaly wrote:
    # chmod 750 /home/username/
    # chown newuser:ftp-users /home/username/
    Migth this have been the problem...? I wanted to make my home folder visible to my other computer...:S

There are two errors. The first one is that for some reason the system can not use your home. Then it tries to use "/" instead, which fails because it has
    no permissions there, so you get the second error, which is thus irrelevant.
    Thanks for identifying my error, at least its a place where to start searching for the answer

Undo all you did? Then we try.

Backup your files somewhere and reinstall?

Create new user? Dangerous if you can not undo all the things you did

following unknown advice on internet.
    I'm a linux noob user and I yet don't know to revert the changes I made...
    I still hadn't looked for backing up options, i though that openSUSE automaticaly made control points as windows or some sort of backing up copy.
    I don't know what it can be done to solve the problem, i though that maybe it could be created a user and just asign the home folder of the other
    user and work as nothing happened.

Thanks everyone for your help really really much.

I'm a linux noob user and I yet don't know to revert the changes I made...
    Neither do we, because there is no trace of what it was before.
    Henk van Velden

I didn't but I saved the website where they were, it was Setup FTP Server On openSUSE 13.1 | Unixmen. I remember I additionaly wrote:
    # chmod 750 /home/username/
    # chown newuser:ftp-users /home/username/
    Migth this have been the problem...? I wanted to make my home folder visible to my other computer...:S
    Yes, that was exactly your mistake, if "username" was your username.
    Now your home directory is owned by newuser, not you.
    To revert that you should run:
    Code:
    chown username:users /home/username/

Default Re: call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Checkyour installation

On 2013-12-11 16:06, qdsk wrote:

> # chown newuser:ftp-users /home/username/
    > Migth this have been the problem...? I wanted to make my home folder
    > visible to my other computer...:S

Yes, indeed, that's the cause of it all.

You can not access as "username" to its home because it is owned by
    "newuser" instead.

That site told you to do that? Wow.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

The site he consulted is apparently about: Setup FTP Server On openSUSE 13.1
    And he also explains he installed vfsftpd.
    He also somewhere states: I wanted to make my home folder visible to my other computer...

Looks like he is a bit lost
    Henk van Velden

Yes, that was exactly your mistake, if "username" was your username.
    Now your home directory is owned by newuser, not you.
    To revert that you should run:
    Code:

chown username:users /home/username/
    I did log in to the new account and as root user execute this command with my username but when loging out and trying with my normal username it
    brought again the same error message of "Cannot enter home directory. Using/.", i though that would be the solution but wasn't...
    I was really dump of writting that command thinking it would do another thing without having looked up what was for...

That site told you to do that? Wow.
    The place didn't tell me that, I guessed it would be the command to show in the ftp directory to other computers the folder I wanted to see, that was the home folder... For my bad, I guessed wrong :S

Looks like he is a bit lost
    I am, I'm sorry for disturbing you all because of a stupid thing that I though, i have learned the lesson for the next time ^^
    If I can't make it work again I think i will reinstall the SO :S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast