Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What file system for backups?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    wichita
    Posts
    990

    Default What file system for backups?

    I've got a new 1TB drive for backups and I was thinking about using FAT32 as the file system so both my Mac and my Linux box can mount it. Is there any disadvantage to using FAT32 instead of the native file system?

    Does anyone know of another file system that both OSX and Linux can mount?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: What file system for backups?

    Does FAT32 support TB partitions? You may have to break it up into multiple partitions. Also FAT32 has severely limited max file size 4Gig If I recall.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: What file system for backups?

    On Tue 10 Dec 2013 08:56:02 PM CST, pilotgi wrote:

    Does anyone know of another file system that both OSX and Linux can
    mount?
    Hi
    HFS plus should work... don't use fat....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 11 SP3 (x86_64) GNOME 2.28.0 Kernel 3.0.101-0.8-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    wichita
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: What file system for backups?

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Does FAT32 support TB partitions? You may have to break it up into multiple partitions. Also FAT32 has severely limited max file size 4Gig If I recall.
    Apparently it does because I already formatted the entire disk. I tried Btrfs also but my Mac can't read it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: What file system for backups?

    no mac does not about that FS. How about NTFS Linux will work with that does the Mac?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: What file system for backups?

    On 2013-12-10 21:56, pilotgi wrote:
    >
    > I've got a new 1TB drive for backups and I was thinking about using
    > FAT32 as the file system so both my Mac and my Linux box can mount it.
    > Is there any disadvantage to using FAT32 instead of the native file
    > system?


    FAT can not store Linux permissions, so you can not create Linux backups
    there - unless you use archives, like ".tar".

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,611

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    wichita
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: What file system for backups?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    HFS plus should work... don't use fat....
    Wow, can't believe I never tried that before. I just mounted another drive with an HFS+ partition and 13.1 sees it just fine. Problem solved!

    Thanks for the tip but I don't use Windows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •