Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Stange behavour of Password

  1. #1

    Thumbs down Stange behavour of Password

    After installing Virtualbox 4.3 something strange happens; I can not become “root” withthe command SU + Password.
    I can not launch Yast, since it asks forauthentication and do not recognize the root password. No problem.,though I,
    I can start up in runlevel 1 (single User) by means ofGrub. So did I , and I became root at runlevel 1. I changed the
    password for root with the command “password” and, to make thingssure, I deleted in /etc/shadow the Password for root.
    I can also launch Yast atrunlevel 1 with no problem. I can use Yast at runlevel 3 and so Ihave acess to the repositories.
    But as soon as I reachrunlevel 5, I have no access to Yast and can not become “root” bymeans of SU+ password . I
    am pretty sure that the virtual Boxinstallation has messed up the permissions, but how an where?.
    The system (Opensuse 13.1)runs stable and without problems, only I can not install anything(Well'only with Yast and ar Runlevel 3).
    Has anyone an idea.I wouldhate to reinstall the system

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,804

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    First, there is no command SU. You probablty mean su.

    Then I think it is a bit dangerous to edit /etc/shadow yourself. Specialy when you first change the password and then remove it there.

    Third, you stress that this is with VirtualBox. Shouldn'tthis then be in the Virtualization forum, or do I interprete you wrongly here?
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    On 2013-12-10 21:36, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > First, there is no command SU. You probablty mean su.
    >
    > Then I think it is a bit dangerous to edit /etc/shadow yourself.
    > Specialy when you first change the password and then remove it there.


    Agreed.

    > Third, you stress that this is with VirtualBox. Shouldn'tthis then be in
    > the Virtualization forum, or do I interprete you wrongly here?


    I understand he installed virtualbox and then the openSUSE host started
    misbehaving.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,804

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-12-10 21:36, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > First, there is no command SU. You probablty mean su.
    >
    > Then I think it is a bit dangerous to edit /etc/shadow yourself.
    > Specialy when you first change the password and then remove it there.


    Agreed.

    > Third, you stress that this is with VirtualBox. Shouldn'tthis then be in
    > the Virtualization forum, or do I interprete you wrongly here?


    I understand he installed virtualbox and then the openSUSE host started
    misbehaving.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    That was one of my interpretations of the text. I hesitated because I do not see any connection. But the OP is of course very correct to mention this when that install marks the start of the problem. So we leave it here and hope that nevertheless some VirtualBox users will shed some light on it.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    Hi jcaser1948,

    To be clear, so other people have the same understanding that you have, of what happened, this is what happened to you:

    1) You are running oS ( openSUSE ) 13.1 directly on your hardware. ( is it 32 bit or 64 bit, what CPU? )
    2) Immediately before step 3, you were able to su to root, run YAST, do things as root, etc.,
    without any problems, at any run level.
    3) You downloaded VirtualBox 4.3.x ( what is x? ) from virtualbox.org ( instead of from the
    openSUSE repositories, because that version of VirtualBox isn't available yet from the oS
    repositories ) and installed Virtualbox to run under oS 13.1.
    4) You made no other changes to your system, nothing else was installed, removed, configured,
    but immediately after step 3, you were no longer to do anything as root, other than in run level 1.

    Then you did this:

    5) Became root at run level 1.
    6) Emptied the password field for the root user in /etc/shadow.
    7) Then set the password for the root user using the passwd command.
    8) Now you are able to be root at run levels up to 3, but not at 5.

    Apart from any missing information I asked you to supply, that is all exactly what happened,
    in exactly that order, yes?

    It might also be helpful if you would please answer these questions:

    A) Do you have any aliases for your machine name?
    B) Do you have more than one IP address associated with your machine name, other than something like 127.0.0.* ?
    C) Are you using IP v6 ?
    D) Are you able to run a DE ( Desktop Environment ( such as KDE, GNome ) ) ?
    E) Do you have any problems running anything under X Windows?
    F) If you reboot the machine, do you still have the same problem?
    G) If you manually unload the vbox modules, do you still have the same problem?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    Quote Originally Posted by toes View Post
    Hi jcaser1948,

    To be clear, so other people have the same understanding that you have, of what happened, this is what happened to you:

    1) You are running oS ( openSUSE ) 13.1 directly on your hardware. ( is it 32 bit or 64 bit, what CPU? )
    2) Immediately before step 3, you were able to su to root, run YAST, do things as root, etc.,
    without any problems, at any run level.
    3) You downloaded VirtualBox 4.3.x ( what is x? ) from virtualbox.org ( instead of from the
    openSUSE repositories, because that version of VirtualBox isn't available yet from the oS
    repositories ) and installed Virtualbox to run under oS 13.1.
    4) You made no other changes to your system, nothing else was installed, removed, configured,
    but immediately after step 3, you were no longer to do anything as root, other than in run level 1.

    Then you did this:

    5) Became root at run level 1.
    6) Emptied the password field for the root user in /etc/shadow.
    7) Then set the password for the root user using the passwd command.
    8) Now you are able to be root at run levels up to 3, but not at 5.

    Apart from any missing information I asked you to supply, that is all exactly what happened,
    in exactly that order, yes?

    It might also be helpful if you would please answer these questions:

    A) Do you have any aliases for your machine name?
    B) Do you have more than one IP address associated with your machine name, other than something like 127.0.0.* ?
    C) Are you using IP v6 ?
    D) Are you able to run a DE ( Desktop Environment ( such as KDE, GNome ) ) ?
    E) Do you have any problems running anything under X Windows?
    F) If you reboot the machine, do you still have the same problem?
    G) If you manually unload the vbox modules, do you still have the same problem?
    The sequence of events is exactly as you explain
    The system is 13.1 64 bits
    The machine is dual- boot with UEFI (windows 7 and Grub)
    I have no aliases in the machine
    I have no problem running anything in the X11 system
    When I reboot the machine , I have the same problem (no access to Root at runlevel 5)
    I have not try yet to uninstall the vbox modules, since I try first to understand what happened
    Thanks for your time

  7. #7

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    jcaser1948,

    Thanks for the information.

    Sorry, I should have asked, did you run VIrtualBox at all, before you had the problem becoming root?
    I wasn't talking about uninstalling the vbox modules, in the sense of removing them permanently from the system. I was talking about unloading them from memory, temporarily, using a command such as:

    Code:
    modprobe -r vboxdrv
    If you were able to become root before running VirtualBox, but not after running it, that could tell us something. Sometimes the modules being loaded into memory can interfere with other things. Usually any interference would tend to affect other "virtual" facilities you might be using. Yet, if you had run VirtualBox before having the problem, just to double check, I was going to ask you to try to unload the modules from memory, to see if you still had the problem.

    Which specific version of VirtualBox did you install, 4.3.4? More specifically, did you install from an RPM with this name:

    Code:
    VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.4_91027_openSUSE123-1.x86_64.rpm
    or a different version, and what was the procedure that you followed to install it? Did you install anything else related to VirtualBox, such as an Extension Pack?

    Just to give us complete information, does your CPU have hardware assistance for virtual facilities? If you don't know, please just let us know exactly what CPU you have.

    Also, at run level 5, if you try to su to become user root, notice the time at which you did that, then you drop down to a run level where you can become root, and look at the system logs in /var/logs for that time, in those logs, do you see any complaints about your attempt to su, and if so, what are the complaints?

  8. #8

    Unhappy Re: Stange behavour of Password

    Quote Originally Posted by toes View Post
    jcaser1948,

    Thanks for the information.

    Sorry, I should have asked, did you run VIrtualBox at all, before you had the problem becoming root?
    I wasn't talking about uninstalling the vbox modules, in the sense of removing them permanently from the system. I was talking about unloading them from memory, temporarily, using a command such as:

    Code:
    modprobe -r vboxdrv
    If you were able to become root before running VirtualBox, but not after running it, that could tell us something. Sometimes the modules being loaded into memory can interfere with other things. Usually any interference would tend to affect other "virtual" facilities you might be using. Yet, if you had run VirtualBox before having the problem, just to double check, I was going to ask you to try to unload the modules from memory, to see if you still had the problem.

    Which specific version of VirtualBox did you install, 4.3.4? More specifically, did you install from an RPM with this name:

    Code:
    VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.4_91027_openSUSE123-1.x86_64.rpm
    or a different version, and what was the procedure that you followed to install it? Did you install anything else related to VirtualBox, such as an Extension Pack?

    Just to give us complete information, does your CPU have hardware assistance for virtual facilities? If you don't know, please just let us know exactly what CPU you have.

    Also, at run level 5, if you try to su to become user root, notice the time at which you did that, then you drop down to a run level where you can become root, and look at the system logs in /var/logs for that time, in those logs, do you see any complaints about your attempt to su, and if so, what are the complaints?
    First, thank you very muchfor the answer and your time.
    I had installed the latestversion of virtual Box from the webside and was unable to run it dueto permissions. I mean it ran but the run was interrupted.
    But thisis passed, since in the meantime I have uninstalled (by means of“remove -r” , at runlevel 1)all directories and files which haveanything to do with Vbox. I also disabled by means of YAST (atrunlevel 1) all services related to virtual box.
    This means my system is atthe moment, as far as I know “VirtualBox clean.
    But I have still theproblem. I can bring the system to runlevel 1 and I can worktperfectly with the system at runlevel 5, except I cannot become root.
    This means I can not go fom runlevel 5 to runlevel 1 ,since the system ask for the root password and , when iI give it, is not recognized.
    I can only boot to runlevel 1 by means of GRUB (Stooping the boot and addind "single" at the end of the linux line
    I could reinstall thesystem, but, since I can work with it and the issue with the passwordinterest me, I will keep it, at least for a while. If you havesuggestions I my implement , do not hesitate to give them

  9. #9

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    jcaser1948,

    There should be no reason why installing a properly functioning version of VirtualBox would affect your ability to become root.

    So, if installing a version of VirtualBox changed your system affecting your ability to become root, it would be a "mistake", and you could not necessarily expect un-installing VirtualBox to un-do what the install did by mistake.

    When I spoke of "dropping" from run level 5 to run level 1, I meant you should do that whatever way you can. If you are in run level 5, and you need to re-boot into single user mode, to get into run level 1, then that's how you "drop" from run level 5 to run level 1.

    Please tell us:

    1. Exactly what CPU do you have in your machine.
    2. Exactly what file did you download from virtualbox.org
    3. Exactly what commands did you run to install VirtualBox originally.
    4. Exactly what commands did you run to remove VirtualBox from your system.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Stange behavour of Password

    Quote Originally Posted by toes View Post
    jcaser1948,

    There should be no reason why installing a properly functioning version of VirtualBox would affect your ability to become root.

    So, if installing a version of VirtualBox changed your system affecting your ability to become root, it would be a "mistake", and you could not necessarily expect un-installing VirtualBox to un-do what the install did by mistake.

    When I spoke of "dropping" from run level 5 to run level 1, I meant you should do that whatever way you can. If you are in run level 5, and you need to re-boot into single user mode, to get into run level 1, then that's how you "drop" from run level 5 to run level 1.

    Please tell us:

    1. Exactly what CPU do you have in your machine.
    2. Exactly what file did you download from virtualbox.org
    3. Exactly what commands did you run to install VirtualBox originally.
    4. Exactly what commands did you run to remove VirtualBox from your system.
    • Here are the answers to your questions as far a I know
    • what CPU do you have in your machine.
    • Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @3,40 GH 3,9 GH 8 GB RAM
      what file did you download from virtualbox.org
    • VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.4_91027_openSUSE123-1.x86_64.rpm

    • what commands did you run to install VirtualBox originally.
    • rpm -i VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.4_91027_openSUSE123-1.x86_64.rpm
      I ran Virtualbox after that, but did not run because of permissions problems


    • what commands did you run to remove VirtualBox from your system.
    • rm -r from runlevel 1 seeking all the Directories and files where Vbox might be present

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •